Mothers Wax Forum

Go Back   Wax Forum > Interior Care

Interior Care Fabric? Vinyl? Leather? Alcantara? Wood? Plastic? Discuss how to identify your interior surfaces and use the right product and technique for the best results.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools     Search this Thread     Display Modes  
Old 07-16-2004

Angry Help! coating came off leather

Browsing on the web I finally ordered Mothers Leather cleaner and conditioner(I used Lexol before), and I also ordered Conolly Hide Food cleaner and conditioner. Since I could not get rid of cloth spots on my leather, I decided to try Connoly first. It's concentrated cleaner, so I mixed it with water 1:12. When I sprayed it on leather, and started rubbing it with a brush, I nothiced that leather started having dark spots on it. I stopped, rinsed it with water. Another cloth spot I cleaned with Mothers leather cleaner and a brush - came off perfectly and did not damage leather in any way. Connoly harsh chemicals actually cut thrugh leather coating. That spot looks awful . Does anybody know where can I get leather recoated (2000 Acura TL, blond leather), using maybe special leather spray paint or something, or if it has to be done by a professional - where can I have it done at? Please help, anybody!!!
Old 07-16-2004
Mothers Polish

Default Re: Help! coating came off leather

That really sucks...sorry to hear of your problem. I will do some checking to see what can be done. I've heard of leather repairing just haven't seen it. I'll check with the people who make the leather for your car and reply back to you. It may take a few days.
Old 07-17-2004

I've learned one thing from this - do NOT use Connolly Hide Food leather cleaner on your leather!!!It will ruin your finish, because it's leather care products of 19th century, and we live in 21st! So far like I said Mothers leather cleaner was the only one that helped me remove those cloth spots from leather. Too bad I started with Connolly first.
Old 07-17-2004
Mothers® Polish

I'm surprised to read what happened to you. Connolly has a reputation as a quality, high-end product.

It will take a few days for Dennis to get an answer back from the leather manufacturer, but let's see what they have to say.
Old 07-17-2004

It's recommended by Jaguar, Rolls Royce, and Bentley and I think that it's safe to use on leather for those cars. As of for Acura - no way, not anymore!