Mothers Wax Forum

Go Back   Wax Forum > Paint Care

Paint Care Ask questions, seek advice, and share techniques about exterior paint care.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools     Search this Thread     Display Modes  
Old 06-20-2017

Default Pro Rubbing Compound & Pro Finishing Polish

My wife's Terrain suffered a hit & run dent while parked. There was a white streak (the Terrain is brown/gray) across the dent and I feared severe paint damage. However, a few passes with my PC (with LC 3" polishing pad) using Mothers Professional Rubbing Compound and Professional Finishing Polish revealed the paint was intact. I was relieved (no expensive body work needed!) and impressed how the Rubbing compound was able to remove the paint transfer. All that's left to do is for a PDR tech to iron out the dent and I'm confident my wife's car will look new again.

Before and after:
Attached Images

Last edited by Trac_511; 06-21-2017 at 08:47 AM.
Old 06-21-2017
Administrator

Default Re: Pro Rubbing Compound & Pro Finishing Polish

Nice job!

With the paint transfer removed it looks pretty good! Because of the lip it might not be fully accessible, but for not too much money you could probably get it looking 90% and it would save you a lot over a traditional body shop repair.

And be sure to "Like" us on Facebook for updates on what we're doing!
Old 06-21-2017

Thanks for the feedback! Would you happen to have a PDR recommendation that serves the Valley?
Old 06-22-2017
Administrator

We use Beach Cities PDR here in Huntington Beach... visit their website and shoot them an email with a request as they might be able to recommend someone in your area.

And be sure to "Like" us on Facebook for updates on what we're doing!
Old 06-22-2017

Thank you very much. I just contacted them.
Old 07-04-2017

Jumping in, here. I have owned my used car for six months and just used the clay bar system and reflections advanced wax (sad to see it gone..recommendations on replacement for both that and Top Coat?). Trac's posts have been eye opening for me; I do notice some slight paint swirl like from a non-touchless car wash (why anyone would do that to a Benz with black paint, I'll never know...), and a lot of it seems to have disappeared, if temporarily, after the clay bar and elbow grease exercise from yesterday.

Still, I was wondering if the rubbing compound and finish combo would take care of the light paint swirl and some of the hologram effect I see on the hood of the car when the sun is shining down on it? I have never used the product so want to be sure it's right for my application...will probably wait till closer to winter at this point, but for next time, pre-wax, was thinking it may be a good idea?
Old 07-04-2017
Mothers® Polish

fju2112 - the corrective qualities of 08612 Rubbing Compound and 08712 Finishing Polish would be ideal for your M-B.

You'll want a quality DA machine and appropriate pads, along with a wax to use afterwards for protection.
Old 07-05-2017

Thank you!

A couple of follow up questions:

- is it possible to buff in by hand, or is this not recommended? The only tool I have is a PowerBall someone gave me a while ago. My father may have an orbital buffer I can use, if that'll do the trick.

- do I use both products on *all* painted surface?

- off subject: what's the best product to treat the pano glass roof?
Old 07-05-2017

And one more I meant to ask earlier, sorry:

My vehicle has the 3M paint protector on the hood and mirrors. I was always told to treat this surface just like paint, so I imagine it's okay to use the rubbing compound and finishing polish on it the same as I would the other surfaces; just confirming.
Old 07-05-2017

Fju2112, I replied to your PM.

I suggested you use an orbital with the appropriate pad. Also, Compound is followed up with Finishing. I have no idea about the paint protector, but for glass Mothers Revision would work. It's good to clay bar the glass once in a while too.
Old 07-05-2017

An abrasive compound will likely remove any protection product.
Old 07-05-2017
Mothers® Polish

For purposes of consistency, a machine is far superior to hand. There's just no way you can get a uniform finish by hand.

As for the 3M Paint Protection Film, I'd be careful near the edges so you don't lift it away from the surface. Polish and wax are okay on it, but I'd stay away from compound on the film.

Does the panoramic roof have a reflective film on it? If so, I'd use just a glass cleaner.
Old 07-06-2017

As far as I can gather, there is no reflective film on the pano roof, but I don't know for sure.
It's typical of modern pano roofs in the sense that it's heavily tinted and difficult to see through from the outside.

I can easily tell where the 3M product was applied on the hood and mirrors, and will stay away from using compound on it, but it does show paint swirl from car washes so I'm hoping finishing compound is enough to get rid of that.

I will clay the glass and keep it clean with ReVision (already have a bottle in the garage).

One more ? - with the 2-clay bar package kit from Mothers, does one typically throw away the clay bar after using once?

Thanks for all the responses.

I just clayed and threw a coat of Advanced Wax on there this weekend, so I'm kind of kicking myself. I ordered the rest of the stuff I need but still need a buffer, and the G100 from porter appears to be discontinued.

Once I get recommendations on a buffer and set of pads to buy for what I plan to do, I'll probably wait a good month before putting all that elbow grease in again, at which point I'm hoping I don't need to clay again prior to doing all this? If so, I may choose to do it sooner than later.
Old 07-06-2017
Mothers® Polish

One clay bar will do an average sized vehicle, with average contamination, 3 times. So, one box of clay should allow you to clay up to 6 times.

But, things happen - clay gets dropped on the ground (and can't be reused), so it's nice to have that extra clay just in case.

For a DA buffer, the Porter Cable 7424 or 7336 are good choices, as is the GG6, which can be found at some Advance Auto Parts, AutoZone or Pep Boys stores. We're partial to Lake Country pads. I like the yellow cutting (for use with compound) followed by white polishing (for use with the Finishing Polish) and then the black or red for wax application. Some prefer the orange instead of yellow for compound use.
Old 07-30-2017

Talking Re: Pro Rubbing Compound & Pro Finishing Polish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest T. View Post
One clay bar will do an average sized vehicle, with average contamination, 3 times. So, one box of clay should allow you to clay up to 6 times.

But, things happen - clay gets dropped on the ground (and can't be reused), so it's nice to have that extra clay just in case.

For a DA buffer, the Porter Cable 7424 or 7336 are good choices, as is the GG6, which can be found at some Advance Auto Parts, AutoZone or Pep Boys stores. We're partial to Lake Country pads. I like the yellow cutting (for use with compound) followed by white polishing (for use with the Finishing Polish) and then the black or red for wax application. Some prefer the orange instead of yellow for compound use.
Thank you! Finally able to order. Have a road trip coming up and plan to use the buffer after we're back on the Honda Odyssey, which is badly in need of a day at the spa. May wait on the Benz til closer to winter as I just recently clayed and applied wax.
Old 07-30-2017

Hm, I cannot find either the 7424 or 7336 buffer on the website? When I do a search on that model it comes up with accessories but no product.

On the Amazon website, I'm seeing the 7424XP and 7346SP "orbital sander", that's it.
Old 07-30-2017
Mothers® Polish

Quote:
Originally Posted by fju2112 View Post
Hm, I cannot find either the 7424 or 7336 buffer on the website? When I do a search on that model it comes up with accessories but no product.

On the Amazon website, I'm seeing the 7424XP and 7346SP "orbital sander", that's it.
We don't sell the two Porter Cable machines, but as you saw, Amazon does. The 2 you listed are the models. The GG6 is a nice machine, made by a competitor of ours. I'd take it over either Porter Cable machine.
Closed Thread