Mothers Wax Forum

Go Back   Wax Forum > Paint Care

Paint Care Ask questions, seek advice, and share techniques about exterior paint care.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools     Search this Thread     Display Modes  
Old 08-13-2017

Default Orange Road Paint

I was wondering if I could get some advice on how to remove orange road line paint from the lower panels of my car. The State was painting orange lines on the road and asking cars to pass them. I found our later that we had crossed just painted lines and some of the orange sprayed onto the lower panels of my car. How can I remove? Acetone? Or do I need a new paint job? It does not easily come off with a fingernail even though I just waxed the car.
Thanks much,
Old 08-13-2017
Mothers® Polish

Default Re: Orange Road Paint

Mineral Spirits in an inexpensive try. A pint is just a few dollars. Apply it with a towel or rag..

A plastic razor blade is an option as well.

A clay bar will work, and have the added benefit of cleaning other embedded contaminants from the paint at the same time.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-13-2017

Thanks Forest,
It seems that some of the smaller stuff comes off with a fingernail but not the bigger spots. I will take your advice and give it a try.
Thanks again,
Rick
Old 08-15-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest T. View Post
Mineral Spirits in an inexpensive try. A pint is just a few dollars. Apply it with a towel or rag..

A plastic razor blade is an option as well.

A clay bar will work, and have the added benefit of cleaning other embedded contaminants from the paint at the same time.

Hope this helps.
Hi Forest,
Is mineral spirits similar to paint thinner? I have paint thinner and can buy mineral spirits as well but was wondering the difference. I also learned from the State of Montana that they use an epoxy paint to do line striping so the substance is not just regular paint.
Thanks,
Old 08-15-2017
Mothers® Polish

Here's an article that explains the basic differences between mineral spirits and paint thinner.

http://www.doityourself.com/stry/3-a...-paint-thinner

For the few dollars extra for mineral spirits over paint thinner, I'd get the mineral spirits and try it on the epoxy paint first. Did you ask the Montana highway department what they'd suggest you use?
Old 08-15-2017

Thanks Forest, I will get the mineral spirits tomorrow and probably a clay bar as well. Yes, I left a message and sent an email to engineering but no response yet. By the way, I also spoke with a local Detailer and he recommended gasoline. I tried a bit and it worked on the smaller spots. The key is to soak the areas well and rub and it seems to loosen the particles but a lot of work. Also, it is not abrasive and doesn't hurt the finish. I will keep you posted.
Old 08-16-2017

Hi Forest,
Unfortunately the mineral spirits did not make any appreciable difference. I have attached a picture. I know that I can get the smaller spray pieces off with a clay bar but I think that it will be some time before the larger pieces come off. No reply yet from the State.
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	115.7 KB
ID:	2034
Old 08-16-2017

I used an old credit card, with great care, on mine and was able to get much of it off without damage to the paint. Patience and persistence.

Smoky
Old 08-16-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky14 View Post
I used an old credit card, with great care, on mine and was able to get much of it off without damage to the paint. Patience and persistence.

Smoky
Thanks! I will pull out one of my cards and try that. I agree, patience and persistence. It will come off eventually.
Thanks again,
Old 08-16-2017
Mothers® Polish

The old credit card is the same concept as the plastic razor blade.

That and a product like WD-40 may be the ticket.
Old 08-16-2017

Thanks Forest,
Yes, I got most of it off with the credit card and a combination of WD 40 and detailing spray. The rest I will remove with the clay bar. The state got back to me by the way and he said that it is an epoxy paint. He asked if I wanted the contact info for the contractor for more specific info and I may follow up on that later but I think that I can manage from here on.
Thanks again,
Rick
Old 09-09-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelaidedetailing View Post
Use Toothpaste to Remove Scratches & Scuffs. Just grab a damp, soft cloth and a smear of toothpaste, and you can erase scratches and scuff marks on your car without much work involved. This trick works best if the scratches and/or scuff marks haven't fully penetrated the clear coat of your vehicle's paint.

http://adelaideautomotivedetailing.com.au/
Thanks mate, I'll keep that in mind. I thought that toothpaste was only good for improving dullness of headlights, but that is good information. They haven't penetrated the clear coat and are just on the surface. I have attached a picture of my work so far but will take it to a professional to remove or replace the wheel well and plastic parts in the undercarriage, not visible by this photo. Most of the surface product on the metal parts of the car seems to have come off with my previous methods.
Old 09-09-2017

New picture below. Unfortunately, there is a bit of glare but thought that it was important to document my progress for future folks who get caught in the same messy situation.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	138.8 KB
ID:	2038  
Old 09-24-2017

Turned out nice. Great job. What a pain though. Hopefully the same can be done for the wheel-well liner.
Old 09-25-2017

Thanks, it was a lot of work. Unfortunately, the liners will have to be replaced and also the plastic rocker panels not shown underneath, will have to be sanded and repainted. In the future, the State of Montana has a mechanism to place a claim against individual contractors, as they carry liability insurance for this purpose, and I would recommend taking advantage of this process.
Old 09-27-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaribecker View Post
Looks like new one, great job
Thanks!
Closed Thread