Thread: My First Rotary

Post Thanks / Like

Talking My First Rotary

I want to thank those of you who gave me pointers and advice on the rotary buffer. I got my Chicago Electric variable speed a couple of weeks ago. (Got to go the budget route for awhile) After some practice on a somewhat expendable vehicle (wife`s) I used it on a job. What a difference! I`ve used it on 4 other jobs since and each customer is floored when they see the shine. I`m still wroking on how to minimize the 360 degree spray pattern. Can you ever eliminate it all??? Stilll using an orbital for final wax and buff just for the sake of less mess. One new question for you experienced pros...Do you include polishing andand waxing in your base full detail price? (My price for a full detail is $100) The extra step of polishing plus the resulting splatter cleanup adds another hour or so to the job. Do you guys charge extra to polish a vehicle before waxing?? I have the products for a 3 step paint restoration job. Not many other detailers in my area offer a service like this. I`m thinking of dropping my full detail price a bit, charge another $20 for a polish job, and $50-60 for the 3 step process. I`d like some examples of how other detailers structure their prices when polishing, compounding, paint restoration, etc is included.
    :brick

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice to hear the Chicago Rotary works well! Have you tried smearing the product on the paint or on the pad? Do you do a line on the paint then go over it with your rotary at an angle? After looking at many sites, for a full detail (3 step or more) most cost more than 100 easily. Maybe charge 150? I have no clue. :doh

Post Thanks / Like
    As far as the 360 degree spray pattern, follow this tip.....Put a line of product on the panel, turn on machine "in the air", in one motion go over line from right to left with the right side of the rotary on the panel and the left side slightly tilted up. Kind of do a sweeping motion with the rotary positioned this way and the spinning rotation will cause the line of product to follow the pad and not sling everywhere. This may take some practice before you master it.
    Scott
    Owner
    Gentle Touch Mobile Auto Detailing
    New Orleans

Post Thanks / Like
    For flinging I put the product on the pad them before starting the rotary I gentley set it on the car. Then while using it I also put a small dab on the acr as I move around it.

I charge 150 for full details and that includes 5 steps on the car including sealant. I don`t cut any corners on detailing and that`s what makes me better than the others in my area
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like
    I pick up polish just like gentletouch ... except I actually tilt (VERY SLIGHTLY) the buffer so the part of the pad that is at about 10:00 is up. then move the buffer right to left piching up the polish.
    My buffer has a speed control dial that I can change with my thumb so with thinner products I will reduce the speed to pich them up and then increase it to where it needs to be. It is difficult to eliminate splatter 100% but with practice it does get better ... Of course if you are like me sometimes you will kinda go brain dead and the stuff will be all over you. Good Luck
    It`s what you learn after you know it all that counts ... John Wooden

Post Thanks / Like
    Been gone all week and just checked responses today. Thanks all. Gearing up right now to go do an Expedition (Remove paint overspray from entire vehicle) and a black Volvo ("professional" body man swirled the hell out of her paint job) taday. Will try to get before and after pics.
    :brick

That'll buff right out! jimmybuffit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    "Full Detail". ? I charge $175-$250, depending on size.
    The vehicle gets whatever it needs. Few of my clients want a `laundry list` of options, they just want their car done right.

About the only `extras` are PDR, touchup and traffic paint/overspray removal.

I like to keep it simple.

Jim
    "If it was easy, everybody`d be doing it."
    www.jimmybuffit.com

I need more sugar!!!!!! KleanFreak's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    good to hear let us know what products and procedures you are using with your new rotary?
    picture perfect auto detailing
    "we put the cherry back in your car"
    detailingisthegame@hotmail.com

Thread Information