Mothers Wax Forum

Go Back   Wax Forum > Paint Care

Paint Care Ask questions, seek advice, and share techniques about exterior paint care.

Closed Thread
 Page 2 of 4  <  1  2   3 4 >

Thread Tools     Search this Thread     Display Modes  
Old 07-30-2011

Default Re: Black Car Waxing & polishing

A well prepped surface makes a big difference, so supposing your surface was well prepped, there may be little to differentiate between turtle wax and FX i think. Turtle wax isn't exactly a bad product though.

Do you have prewax cleaner and the clay kit? those two helps a lot. Or next time, try using the glaze then 2 coats of carnauba. I've noticed that FX while easy easy to use lacks the depth of carnauba (including the carnauba cleaner wax) on black paint. in fact, first time i used it i was disappointed too. I believe sealer and glaze will add more depth than FX liquid wax. As far as i know, platinum is also a combination of natural and synthetic ingredients.

If FX is applied lightly, you can get away with applying glaze beneath fx, then carnauba wax.

Don't worry too much, there's only so much one can do to a well prepped paint. And the difference between an over the counter wax to a more expensive wax to really high end expensive waxes may not be as big as the price differences.. The difference may be noticeable, but not be worth the 4, 5, 10, or 50x the cost of OTC waxes
Old 07-30-2011

I suggest posting a pic of the paint showing how the reflection of the sun shines off on it. This will help understand the true condition of the paint.
Old 07-30-2011

Thx for the reply mates..
I did'nt say that the results were bad...they were pretty fine..though i was expecting better results when i paid 4X the price of the wax that i was using earlier...

its dark here now..i'll try n get the pics tomorrow..

till then you guys can check out the pic of this car...the paint is 6 yrs old and has been worked upon by hand..the results on my car were nowhere close to this!

Old 07-30-2011
Administrator

If the paint needed claying and you didn't clay, and/or if the paint needed polishing and you didn't polish, those would be just a couple of many possible reasons your results weren't what you were expecting.

Now if you use your less expensive wax and you get better results, then maybe that product has something your paint needed.

If your paint needs claying, cleaning and polishing and you don't clay, clean and polish, all the shiny "non-abrasive stuff" you put on top just accentuates a surface that needs more prep.

And be sure to "Like" us on Facebook for updates on what we're doing!
Old 07-30-2011

The paint is new and clean. I did'nt clay the surface bcoz according to me claying wasnt needed...

what polish would you recommend that can be used by hand?
Old 07-30-2011

Your paint looks good based on the pics. I personally like the results! however, while your paint look good in actuallity it may need polishing. Just to be sure, i'd use a tar remover (just one of my steps i use), then i'd use mothers pre-wax cleaner applied with a microfiber applicator/towel for more bite and apply it in straight lines and in sections. sometimes i apply certain products in straight lines. You will see a difference in shine even before applying glaze and wax
Old 07-30-2011

ffboy...read my post again..this is not my car..this is a friend's car from a forum...i said my results are nowhere close to this..
Old 07-31-2011

Well, my mistake, BIG MISTAKE actually. But same thing.. i still recommend using a pre-wax cleaner. It will make a difference in the gloss, depth, and durability of the wax and your wax will be easier to apply and remove. MOthers makes powerpolish for deeper imperfections, but it requires a machine buffer, so prewax cleaner is your best option for hand application.

You will get similar results
Old 07-31-2011

thx

i'll try and will let you guys know for sure!
Old 07-31-2011

Regarding the Pre-wax cleaner, try putting 2 coats to really clean the paint and work in small sections, it will be a breeze to remove. Things should work out for you!
Old 08-01-2011

If the car has been parked outside for any period of time (months), it should be clayed and along with using pre-wax cleaner to remove the grime that bonds to the paint that washing will not remove. Waxes and sealants do not bond to dirt that well.

Once this is done, this should help provide a better analysis of paint condition and the next step that is needed.

For example, poor washing/drying techniques can dull the finish that can only be corrected by using an abrasive polish. A wax may perk it up some but never get near the potential.
Old 08-01-2011

thx guys ..
I was wondering if anyone of you could post the pic of your black car fully detailed and could also mention the method/waxes/polishes used?

Thanks!
Old 08-01-2011

I did this write up on FX paste.

http://www.waxforum.com/showthread.php?t=4262

For the wettest black I think step 3 carnauba paste is the best bet.
Old 08-01-2011

Hmm... I hope your car wasn't "detailed" by a hack detailer and give an added bonus of swirl marks and buffer trails.. IMproper techniques can cause this, and usually these can manifest itself through those horrible swirls that can be concealed temporarily by using high filler content glazes or pure polishes. After 1 or mre carwashes, the oils get stripped away, and there you have it... the beloved "swirls"!
Old 08-01-2011

Thanks abnot! i love the shine on your truck!

I real that u had applied fxsynth wax paste..and i had applied the liquid one..does it make any difference in the shine??
thanks!
Old 08-02-2011

Hi All

I am new to this forum. I find the discussions and advices extremely helpful and informative. Presently I own a black chevy and a white VW (extreme poles as for colors).

My detailing arsenal comprises of the following :
1. For washing - Optimum No Rinse wash & Shine
2. Mother's CG Clay bar kit
3. Mother's CG Sealer & Glaze
4. Collinite 476S
5. Zymol Glasur (ordered, awaiting delivery)
6. Mother's CG Showtime detailer
7. Some good MF towels (3M & Euro)

I have been doing the black car with these for quite some time and the result is extremely satisfactory. However, for the white one I am yet to start the detailing process (just a couple of months old).

What I have planned for the detailing for the white car is as follows:

1. Wash with the Optimum No Rinse (as per product instruction)
2. Clay bar
3. Mother's CG Sealer & Glaze - 2 coats with at least 6 hours gap (not sure if the second coat will effect the earlier coat)
4. Top coat with Zymol Glasur (multiple coats with enough curing for each coat)

Please suggest if this process will be good enough to bring a shine and wet look in the white or I need to put in something else (syn wax etc) before I top with the Zymol?

Thanks

Last edited by sandy226b; 08-02-2011 at 02:17 AM. Reason: missed a closing bracket and added one more point
Old 08-02-2011

Again, a good prewax cleaner would help a lot, you can go mothers route or zymol route. The sealer and glaze contains i think even finer polishing agents as well, so it may not be beneficial in terms of layerability, but it can polish out further with a 2nd coat.

Being a white car, the benefits of the glaze may not be as visible as with the black car. It may end up being an unnecessary step.
Old 08-02-2011

Thanks ffboy for the response.

What you are suggesting is instead of using the Sealer & Glaze I should use a per-wax cleaner or a good polish and straight away move on to the Glasur? Would that be fine to get the glow & shine in the white car?

Please suggest.
Old 08-02-2011

In the forum I find quite a few posts suggesting / using FX Synwax for the white car. I have never used this product. Do you think using this after clay bar or after claybar - cleaner combo and can it be topped with Zymol?
Old 08-02-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy226b View Post
In the forum I find quite a few posts suggesting / using FX Synwax for the white car. I have never used this product. Do you think using this after clay bar or after claybar - cleaner combo and can it be topped with Zymol?
It depends on the condition of the car. As you have said the white one hasn't been polished yet, I would recommend using the Pre-Cleaner after the clay bar. Once you've done this, you won't likely need to clay/pre-clean for a few months or maybe even a year, depending on your environment/washing techniques/etc.

FX can be topped by pure waxes, such as Zymol.