Car Detailing Whore
    Post Thanks / Like

Which product should I use.

I am going to be removing light scratches (most are swirl like) from a clearcoat in the coming days. They appear to be mostly from a bad towel used to dry the car.

Currently I have Megs #9 to do this kind of work, and it is done by hand (I do not own a DA). However, if this does not remove the scratches to my satisfaction, what should I go to next (preferably Megs or 3M products so I can ge them locally)
    http://tassadar.ezekial.net

In Exile
    Post Thanks / Like

what next

I`ve used DACP with a little more luck than the #9 on scratches but it still won`t take out the deeper stuff, and by hand they are both not very effective.

Natty has suggested 3M FI-III Rubbing compound, and that`s what I`m going to try next. Perhaps by hand it may do the trick for you if the DACP doesn`t. (you`ll need to follow it with #9)

Car Detailing Whore
    Post Thanks / Like
    So 3M FI-III Rubbing, Megs #9, Polish (maybe twice), and then a sealant?

In Exile
    Post Thanks / Like

twice

Originally posted by Tassadar
    Megs #9, Polish (maybe twice), and then a sealant?
    You shouldn`t need to polish twice with #9, since all the scratches and swirls should be gone, all you`re doing is "refining the finish" and getting rid of any hazing from the compound step with #9.

Keep in mind, I haven`t used the 3M compound myself yet so, I`m just going by what I`m told.

I would always try the least aggressive first; the #9 didn`t do it for you, so try two passes of DACP, if that doesn`t do it, try the compound, if that doesn`t do it, perhaps borrowing a PC and repeating the whole process would do it. I know it`s a lot of work, but once you`ve removed too much paint you`re toast, so just go slowly and carefully. I know its tempting to go right for the compound but it can`t be undone (without repainting) if you make a mistake.

What are you using for an applicator? If foam isn`t doing the job, move up to terry cloth (more agressive) if that doesn`t work try terry cloth misted with a very small amount of water (even more aggressive)

Car Detailing Whore
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nomrally I use #9 on a damped with QD terry cloth applicator. It did a good job on my 90 Mustang. And I do my work by hand, I have not moved up to a DA yet, they still scare me.

In Exile
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Tassadar
    Nomrally I use #9 on a damped with QD terry cloth applicator. It did a good job on my 90 Mustang. And I do my work by hand, I have not moved up to a DA yet, they still scare me.
    I`m not sure how the QD would react with the #9 (or other products), personally I would just use water (its a lot cheaper too). The QD might be lubricating the surface, thus keeping the product from cutting like it should. Water will not lubricate and helps it cut.

No need to be scared of DA`s, they`re as safe as your hands just faster since they mimic hand application at higher speeds. They don`t produce any heat and orbit instead of rotating.

Now rotary buffers; those you can be scared of.

Car Detailing Whore
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ive been tempted to get a DA. But how are you supposed to tell if you have enough of the product applied to the surface? I know that when I do it by hand (and this is the reason I love dark colored cars) I can see the product and I usually go over it once or twice before moving to the next section.

Downside to this is, it takes me a good 30 minutes to apply the wax. And thats assuming there are not any weird spoilers or luggage racks (old muscle cars such as the 72` Stingray I did the other day, anyone want pics of it )

Post Thanks / Like
    We always want pics of nice cars and/or good detailing work.
    Ringo

Car Detailing Whore
    Post Thanks / Like
    You will have to wait, im not taking pics while its cloudy outside.

Thread Information