Thread: Aio & Ksg?

Post Thanks / Like

Aio & Ksg?

I always hear everyone talking about following up AIO with UPP, but KSG never really gets mentioned. Is UPP just superior to KSG? Would it do any good to apply AIO,KSG and then UPP, or are KSG and UPP basically the same thing?

Post Thanks / Like
    I use SG every year for winter use. Anytime that durability is the driving concern I will always go to SG first. UPP looks great, but basically 3 layers of UPP looks the same as 5 layers of SG with a carnauba topper. The difference is durability. SG is going to last at least 30% longer than UPP from my testing. One layer of SG will give you 4 to 5 months of protection versus UPPs 3 months. That is from testing in my climate, of course. Your results may vary based on temperature and humidity.

Post Thanks / Like

AIO/UPP

I`m just an amateur, but, from my experience, Jngrbrdman is right on. We have two daily drivers, so, I use AIOx2, SGx2 on my wife`s car (parked outside) and AIO, SGx3,UPPx3 on the other car parked inside most of the time. I get about 6 months on my wife`s car and close to 10 or 11 months on the other car. Basically, it seems to me that the UPP is gone long before the SG on the inside car.

However, thanks to Jngrbrdman (see his great detailing thread) and others on this site, when it comes time to do the cars again, it is much easier than the first time I did them. It`s all in the preparation. Not only do the car look great in the beginning but they really look good when it`s time to go over them again.

We just took my wife`s car to the insurance office to show them the mileage. It`s been parked outside in the central valley for 1 year. The AIO/SG is now gone. (I`ll be going the car next week.) But when the insurance representative saw the car, she said, "That car can`t have 130,00 on it. Did you repaint it?"

So, for durability, go with AIO + SG. But UPP looks really good over the SG!

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve got to agree with Jngrbrdman. You just can`t beat SG for durability. And with 3 or more coats layered on it looks simply fantastic. That is what I use on my own vehicles. However, that is just impractible when detailing other peoples vehicles. Therefore, I would do as jngrbrdman suggested and use AIO + UPP during the summer and use the SG for the winter months (if applicable for you). If you live down south, use the SG and just keep layering it. You`ll love it.
    I love the smell of EX-P in the morning.

Post Thanks / Like
    Time is not really an issue since this is my own personal car and I want it to look as good as possible. The car is black and although it is a 2001 the paint is a mess with lots of swirls. Durability is somewhat of an issue since this is my daily driver. It sounds like it may be worth it (once the paint has been properly prepped) to go AIOx2, SGx3, UPPx3, S100 topper.

Will this combo look any better than if I leave out the SG, or will the only advantage be durability?

Post Thanks / Like
    It sounds like it may be worth it (once the paint has been properly prepped) to go AIOx2, SGx3, UPPx3, S100 topper.

That`s a lot of layers of sealant! If you are going to go with all that, I would eliminate either the UPP or the SG. I wouldn`t recommend layering one sealant (SG) with another one (UPP) because you just can`t predict how they will blend. Maybe someone else has tried it. Personally, after going through all the work to apply AIOx2 and SGx3, I am not going to risk ruining it by applying another sealant on top. I have layered P21S (S100) on top of SG with excellent results, but with 3 or more layers of SG you are just going to be blown away anyhow. So, in my opinion, for the ultimate in durability and appearance, I would go with the AIOx2, SGx3 (or more) and top with the S100. Or switch the UPP for the SG. All great products and a great shine!

Post Thanks / Like
    Last year I checked with Dwayne to see if SG and UPP were compatible; that is, UPP over SG. He said he saw no problems, provided the SG had curing time of at least 24 hours. The combination seems to be working well for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    I wasn`t sure if UPP was a sealant, or a polymer wax.

Maybe I should just apply the AIO & SG, then see how it looks. I can always throw on some UPP if I feel like it needs it. I guess I am still curious which one guys prefer (as far as looks go) SG vs. UPP. I know some products are better suited for certain colors, is either product best suited for black?

Post Thanks / Like
    I have applied UPP over SG, it adds to the slickness.
    "A car doesn`t have to be the fastest or most powerful to be the love of your life" -Temperacerguy

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by eggroll
    I have applied UPP over SG, it adds to the slickness.
    Likewise here.

I have always used sg for the winter mths like Jngrbrdman mentioned (it lasted me through the whole winter with me only topping it twice with a carnauba).

In the previous summer, I applied AIO, SG, then EX on my silver car and it was great.
    2001 Volvo S80 Black
    2002 Volvo C70 Silver

Thread Information