Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Todays Detail: Couple Questions

I detailed a 2003 Lexus LS430 today. Here`s what I did...

Clay
    SSR1 with PC
    EX-P by hand
    Shampoo carpets
    Clean and Dress interior
    Condition Leather
    Polish and Seal front windshield
    and of corse, all the obvious (wash, dress tires, etc.)

I charged $140 for the job, does this seam too high, low or about right? I am still trying to get a gage on what I should be charging people.

Also, this was my first time using SSR1. Great product, went on and off very easily and smells great. My only problem is that it stained my pad something aweful! Any tips for getting that out? I used lake country`s snappy cleaning powder and soaked it for 20 minutes but not even a little of the color came out. Here is a pic of the pad...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2003 Nissan 350Z Touring - Super Black - 6MT
    "Most legit people I know, they`d go a hundred miles out of their way not to make eye contact with me" - Tony Soprano

Post Thanks / Like
    I just thougth I`d include a couple photos of my work as well...
    Last edited by TheSopranos16; 07-09-2004 at 11:46 PM.
    "Most legit people I know, they`d go a hundred miles out of their way not to make eye contact with me" - Tony Soprano

Post Thanks / Like
    One more of the inside...

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks sweet! Nice work

Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks great, SSR stained my white pads also I wouldent worry about it to much the pad and product still work the same way I find that right after I use the product I automatically start soaking it in a APC of some sort.
    www.exotiXboard.com

Post Thanks / Like
    What kinda pad is that? Wash it with warm water and Murphy`s Oil. Scrub and just get it out right away or it will stain. Detail looks good. Right pricing I guess, but depends on tiem spent.

Post Thanks / Like
    The pad is a Lake Country White (not any more though!) AVC. The detail took about 6 hours total. But, it was my first time with SSR so I would probably be able to do it a little faster next time...

I'll figure it out....
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great job!

I finally cut my teeth with ssr1 this past Friday. Realy nice stuff; and got out ALL the swirls that were left behind from two Fridays ago. That staining is something else though (Meguire`s polish pad). I`m inclined to leave my staining on the pad as well, though.

My next experiments are going to be ssr1 v. VM and ssr1 topped with VM. Have to know if it can get any wetter....

Post Thanks / Like
    I would probably charge $140 for that minus the claying and leather conditioning. I believe those are services which should be upsold - perhaps $25 or so for each.
    Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him and he will make your paths straight.
    Proverbs 3:5

Boss_429
    TheSopranos16,

Very nice work!

Depending on the area you live in, you want to make between $20 - $30 or more an hour. Once you get good at estimating time required for a job, you can charge accordingly. In NJ, I would be charging $30 an hour. At 6 hours, that would be $180............... so, I think you were a little under priced....... but not bad. Still, it`s your hard work, so you decide. Of course, if you are just starting out, you may want to stay a little low until you get a name for yourself. In the end, you want to do "GREAT" work, and "CHARGE" for it!

Yep, SSR polishes stain my pads too. However, I just wash and dry them, and use the same SSR polish on them the next time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by usdm
    I finally cut my teeth with ssr1 this past Friday. Realy nice stuff; and got out ALL the swirls that were left behind from two Fridays ago. That staining is something else though (Meguire`s polish pad). I`m inclined to leave my staining on the pad as well, though.

My next experiments are going to be ssr1 v. VM and ssr1 topped with VM. Have to know if it can get any wetter....
    I`ve tried SSR1 vs VM, but not one on top of the other. I think the appearance of SSR1 is very similar to VM. SSR1 has the advantage for removing paint imperfections, while VM has the advantage in being able to hide imperfections. VM is probably just a shade wetter. Keep us posted about your findings.

BTW - SSR1 turns my white pads pink too, but I don`t mind. I normally dedicate one product per pad anyway.

The Whaler Loves Detail City rabbi's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Geez awd330 you must have alot of pads.
    "I`m staying out of it."

Post Thanks / Like
    For that process that was done on that LEXUS is and outstanding job that charge for quality WORK should be no less than $200.00 and if you add the engine @ $30.00 a release form should come with that engine detail up front. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by rabbi
    Geez awd330 you must have alot of pads.
    Yep, I sure do.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice looking work . I think for the area your in the price was cheap, but if your happy with what you made less your material costs then thats fine. Thanks for the pics , again nice work

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information