Post Thanks / Like

Swirls on the wax?

Sometimes I get haze after washing and drying the car with the ww. At first I thought I was doing something wrong or there was something wrong with the ww.

Now I noticed that only happens when the surface is preped with some waxes.

Is it possible some are softer than others?

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is something that I have felt sometimes happened to me.
    I always thought it happened more if I had quite a few coats of wax on the paint. When it happened, I would usually use a paint cleaner and start over.

I`m certainly no expert, but there definitely seems to be a difference in wax hardness to me. :dunno

Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    I have seen it too. I can`t really point to a particular wax/sealant, but I have seen.

Like CharlesW I use a paint cleaner to check and see where the swirls are. If the paint cleaner gets it, then I know that it is in the wax/sealant.

If it is not, then I know that it is in the clear and I should evaluate my washing/drying tools.
    Word of Mouth Detailing
    A man with experience is not at the mercy of a man with an opinion

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve definatley seen it - I get it with sealant and sealant topped with wax - I don`t get swirls so much as long scratches that seem to appear out of no where - ;( - might be the heat making the product softer.
    You have activated my special ability....

Post Thanks / Like
    I tried to clean a section with a mix 50/50 of alcohol and it cleaned the mar. So it was a case of soft wax. I then toped the rest with souveran and it came out clean aswell.

Wonder if there are also soft syntetic waxes....

Post Thanks / Like
    Yup I am sure there are - It may just be an issue with to thick of an application at the problem area.

Obsessive Compulsive Detailer Jngrbrdman's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is a concern that I have with Wolfgang. I still need to do more testing, but the one car that has come back to me for more that I used Wolfgang on had an awful lot of swirls on it that weren`t on there when he left a few weeks prior. I became suspicious that perhaps the Wolfgang was something that was easier to swirl. If that is the case then I`m not sure I want it on my car... More testing is required I guess. It looks so freaking awesome when its on the car that I would hate to find something like this that keeps me from using it more often. Its a very valid concern I think. I`m going to test the paint cleaner trick on the next car that comes back with swirls in it. Just to see if its in the wolfgang or not.....
    ~ ~ www.OCDetails.com ~ ~
    Faster isn`t better. BETTER is better no matter how long it takes.

Post Thanks / Like
    I also think that this may be a possible downside of "layering". If you only have 1 thin coat than I would think that the "swirling" of the wax would be less. I use to notice it with Mothers Cali. Gold paste but that was a couple years ago.

Eric

Post Thanks / Like
    I noticed it on one coat of Meguiars professional paste wax (16) over Clearkote VMHG. I washed it the next day after application, so cure wasn`t an issue.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think it happens to waxes more than sealants or waxes over sealants - spring and summer - since the heat is on the car and even a white finsih gets hot (and metal tends to hold on to heat) I would guess there is a "softening" of the wax layer.

Post Thanks / Like
    S100 swirls very easily on both of my black Harley Davidsons. That`s why I reapply it after every wash. On something the size of a bike, it`s as easy as using a QD.

Since switching over to sealants (BLACKFIRE, MPPP or NXT) from Meguiar`s #26 on my black Hemi, I have notice minimal swirls and marring. For a daily driver I think that topping a sealant with a carnauba wax is a waste of time.

The Harleys are going to get NXT after their next wash.

Tom :cool
    2 white Tacomas and 2 black Harleys. I got half-way smart.

Obsessive Compulsive Detailer Jngrbrdman's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe that is the difference between P21S and S100.... Perhaps P21S doesn`t have the swirl problem quite as bad?
    ~ ~ www.OCDetails.com ~ ~
    Faster isn`t better. BETTER is better no matter how long it takes.

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Jngrbrdman
    Maybe that is the difference between P21S and S100.... Perhaps P21S doesn`t have the swirl problem quite as bad?
    Interesting thought.
    It has always seemed quite strange that a company would make two brand names of a product and sell one for 40% less.
    Anyone than can afford to ride a $15,000 to $20,000 toy that will probably have another $1500 to $2000 worth of accessories and clothing with it can sure as heck afford a $20 or $30 wax.
    Or multiples thereof. I just reread Tquil`s signature.
    Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    Charles,

I have a John Deere tractor too. I gets neither the S100 nor the NXT. It gets straight Meguiar`s consumer line cleaner/wax twice a year. I wax just the tractor, not its tools. I`m not 100% obsessive compulsive.

Tom :cool
    2 white Tacomas and 2 black Harleys. I got half-way smart.

Thread Information