Obsessive Compulsive Detailer Jngrbrdman's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

All I can say is "wow"

I was settled in for a nice evening of watching Stargate SG1 with my boy when a friend who recently got married dropped by. He wanted to do a little work on his new wife`s car and needed my garage. So I pointed to the clay and told him to call me when he was ready. The hood was in really scary shape and I wanted to at least do that so he would know what to do. All I can say is `WOW` at the results.

I used DACP (Meguiar`s #83) to get this done. I experimented with some Valugard products on one side, but DACP was really the power behind that work. Once I got both sides done you really couldn`t tell any difference. DACP is an excellent product without any additional help.

I then used NXT to fill in what was left and give it some protection. I don`t know how he did on the rest of the car, but this is one of the finer results I`ve gotten out of a car. I suppose I could have used Diamond Cut, but I chose to experiment with other stuff instead. This car was really messed up. You can see how close the swirls are. It was almost like sandpaper haze all over the car. I don`t think I`ve seen such a bad car for awhile.

Here`s the before:
    ~ ~ www.OCDetails.com ~ ~
    Faster isn`t better. BETTER is better no matter how long it takes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is the after. This is after about 10-15 minutes of polishing with a PC and a red Meguiar`s pad on each side. The photo doesn`t show the cuts that remained, but it wasn`t something that was going to be visible without having some serious lights on it. I was just super pleased that they came out. I sent Arthur to work with DACP and NXT for the rest of the car. I don`t mind helping a buddy out, but doing the whole car for him helps nobody. He needed to learn.

Post Thanks / Like
    Did you show him "Vintage"
    Nick Carberry
    ~Detailing high-end cars with quality products~

Post Thanks / Like
    LOL yup. I`m not wasting that on a POS Neon though. lol I don`t know what I`m saving it for... but I know I`m not saving it for this car.

Post Thanks / Like
    That is a striking improvement and great results! Very nice job. It`s a beautiful thing to see something come back to life with some proper resuscitation techniques! Like car CPR!!
    If the wolf howls by the light of the moon in the dark of the night...

Post Thanks / Like
    Jngrbrdman . . . Ah, another Stargate fan. Great show. I`m addicted to the SCIFI channel every Monday night !!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    I need to give him a call and see how it looks in the sun. Once again, NXT didn`t disappoint. I don`t think that he got nearly the work done that I did on that hood. I don`t think he can afford me to do the whole car. If I spent the time on the rest of the car that I spent on that hood then it would be a $300 job easy. lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Jngrbrdman...

Nice job! It sure made a world of difference. Why didn`t you give him some SSR3 and send him on his way. j/k

With Aloha,
    Ranney

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks great, but how did the movie turn out?
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Wherever there is a mullet... I'll be there.
    Post Thanks / Like
    That is good work there. Why is the color different? Was it oxidized or something and it made the car look green instead of blue? I think I`ve seen that color of Neon before, but it didn`t really look like either picture.

Great work on some before and after shots. I love it when people post that kind of thing. There is nothing but honesty in the shot when it is like that. That could be the hood of a $300,000 Ferarri or an $8000 Hyundai and it wouldn`t matter. Perfection in the paint is perfection in the paint. Nobody is going to say "wow.. you got to polish a Neon??" when they look at that picture. Its the paint they are looking at and not the badge on the grille. Excellent pictures. (I`m not saying I don`t like seeing Ferrari pictures too, of course... :naughty)

Post Thanks / Like
    I dunno, fuzz. I guess it could have been oxidized. It looks like a trick of the light more than anything. I did do something kind of funny with the picture. I lined up the damaged shot over the repaired shot and then erased a bit. You can really see the difference with it like this.

Ok... enough tooting my own horn. Back to detailing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just a question. When you use a PC to remove swirls like that, will they come back, or is the orbital and product enough to get rid of them permantly like a rotary?

Post Thanks / Like
    Its not the tool that removes swirls as much as it is the product. If you used a filler with a rotary then the swirls are going to come back just as fast as if you use a PC. I removed those swirls using polishing compounds that cut the clear and leveled the surface. Those swirls are ghandi. The only difference between a rotary and a PC when you boil it down is the speed at which you can work. Rotarys will wipe out really bad swirls much faster than a PC will. I can do the same job with a PC, it just takes a little longer. The swirls still stay gone no matter what I use because I`m not filling them; I`m removing them.

Thread Information