Compliant User Title
    Post Thanks / Like

First detail in almost a decade. Pics coming around 630pm.

so i ended up detailing my own car this weekend. my appointment got cancelled because the client needed the car back by 1pm, and when he dropped it off at 8am, it was raining. He hung around till 9, cause hes a friend, and it jut got worse.

Well around 12:30, the rain stopped and i saw the clouds breaking. So i took out my new DeWalt rotary and my $200 in poorboy`s products and got to work. It was my first detail in almost 7 years. I have a 2001 BMW X5. I have before/after pics but not sure how good they came out. But anyway, it took me from 1:30 till 5:00 to just do the exterior. I did ssr2.5 with a green, ssr1 with a blue, and PWC with a white. Then toped it off with EX. At first i didnt like how it came out, there were some swirls that just wouldnt come out, some scratches that wouldnt come out, and i was very disappointed. But when i woke up the next day for some reason it looked a lot better.

Either way it was a good day. I never realized how big my car is to do, and how i wish i never have to do an expedition. Here are some questions for you all after doing it once.

Whats the best way to keep product from getting trapped in the seams of the doors, hood, etc?

Why wouldnt some swirls come out with 2.5 and a green pad? I tried ssr3 on some of the scratches with the green pad, and they didnt come out at all.

How long do i work the product for? I felt that when i applied the PwC i could tell when to stop, but with the ssr products i wasnt sure.

What can i do for scratches on glass? (not for my car)

Is it dangerous to remove the bug deflector?

What speeds should i use on my rotary? I felt if i left it at 1000-1200, it should take out the swirls. I mean if a PC can do it at level 4-5, i figured those speeds on a rotary would be fine.

There is a high demand for scratch removal with my friends, family, and people in the neighborhood. But after this experience with my car, i need advice. I had a scuff mark on my bumper, and it just wouldnt come out no matter what speed or pad i used.

I`m guessing the answer to the scratches is a wool pad. So if anyone has an extra one that they were planning on throwing away, that is for the edge 2000 system, i would love to have it to try on my scratches.

Thanks a lot guys, i`ll have pics tonight when i get home from work.

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    wow that`s a lot of questions..lol

Whats the best way to keep product from getting trapped in the seams of the doors, hood, etc?

you can tape them or you can just clean them afterwards

Why wouldnt some swirls come out with 2.5 and a green pad? I tried ssr3 on some of the scratches with the green pad, and they didnt come out at all.

I think you answered part of your own question...in another question ....I thnk you need to go a bit higher on the speed...at least 1600-1800 and if they are really bad ..maybe even a little higher...a wool pad for really bad swirls would also be a good first step...

How long do i work the product for?

SSR`s need to be worked until they either dissapear or start to dust..the PwC is more of work it until it disappears for polishing or leave some on to haze for more protection

What can i do for scratches on glass? (not for my car) not a whole lot to do here..you can use the SSR2 or PP , but if they are really in deep they are only going to be lessened not removed

Is it dangerous to remove the bug deflector?

only if you do not have the knowledge and equipment to remove it and then replace it afterwards

What speeds should i use on my rotary? I felt if i left it at 1000-1200, it should take out the swirls. I mean if a PC can do it at level 4-5, i figured those speeds on a rotary would be fine.

No, a bit faster will do the job as stated before unless you have a long time to work in one area...

hope this helps

steve
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Poorboy hit it, for swirl removal, don`t be afraid to bump up to 1500+. I use 1000-1200 for my final polishes.
    Nick Carberry
    ~Detailing high-end cars with quality products~

Post Thanks / Like
    As far as keeping product on the panel your working on, I use a very thick, old towel and place it between the lock (place where the hood or trunk or door locks) this creates a gap between the panels. You`ll have to remove the towel from the door when your working the edge nearest the motor.

Something else I do is to start on the section away from the edge so the product is all ready on the pad and smearing nicely on the panel, then work toward the edge. By the time I get there the there is not enough product to get in between the panels.

I also wipe the edges down after I`m done with each panel. This saves me ALOT of time at the end when I`m doing final touch up. I ABHOR removing dried product between panels.
    Kayel17
    If It Floats, Rolls or Flyes, I can make it Shine!

Thread Information