Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Strange name, ain't it? NattyBumppo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile An afternoon with Rotary, PB, a Benz and Audi

Whew, taking the rotary skills to graduate school today and not even something that was planned.

Subject A; a black Mercedes, the long beast that is like a towncar with a Mercedes emblem. Don`t ask the number or model cause I don`t recall. I think it was an S class.

Subject B; a brand new black Audi A4 Avant.

The problems.....a feline felon! This cat has made a habit of sleeping on the hood of these cars in their garage. The Benz has the scars from almost 3 years of this cat and the Audi.....well it isn`t even a month old and already the hood is scratched to hell.

My assigned task...fix the Audi and make the Benz as good as I can. I was reluctant at first but I`ve finally grown comfortable enough with the rotary to give it a go on black paint and cars of this caliber. All work except final wax done with rotary.

The Audi regiment; Spray and Wipe, SSR3 with medium cut pad, one pass SSR2 with light cut pad, SSR2 with soft polish pad, SSR1 with extra fine polish pad then final finish with a special new paste wax that will make its debut here at Premium AutoCare in a few weeks.

The owner of the Audi nearly passed out after the pass with SSR3...being a pretty heavy compound it left a hazed finish. No doubt the medium cut pad helped too. I must say, I was a TINY bit worried myself . But after the second pass with SSR2 man did the paint glow. Then after the SSR1 I almost wanted to stop there but I still had the wax. End result, only the faintest hint of one or two cat claw marks were visible (maybe about 1/2 inch in length)and this under flourescent lighting and looking at one very odd angle. THe owner was ecstatic. Maybe one more pass with SSR2 and cutting pad would have gotten it totally but he was glowing almost as much as the paint finish. It was absolutely liquid!

Now the battered war horse..the Benz. Same regiment only I added a second pass with SSR1 (kind just because I like it so much). After the rotary polishing it was almost impossible to keep a mf towel from slipping off the hood.

The car still showed a few scars from this darn cat but considering the years this thing has been calling the Benz` hood home, the improvement was nothing short of spectacular.

Funny side story....the Audi owner started cleaning the windows and asked what I had. I gave hime an MF and Spray and Wipe. He commented on how great it worked. Then he started going over the roof, then doors and before you know it he had SPray and Wiped the rest of the car. LOL. He ended up keeping my almost full bottle of Spray and Wipe.

Kinda feeling good about my rotary techniques now. A brand spanking new black Audi finish and I took it from hazed compound to a liquid pool with relative ease....with some elp from Poorboy.

Now I`m going for a cold beer!

Natty
    Natty
    ------------------------------------------------
    "Sorry Miss, I just decided I don`t do mini-vans"

Shine? That's not a shine Cujo31's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Grats bro! Now I jsut need to bust some skills with the rotary. Actually I will start messing with one next week with a guy from here.

Cujo

Wheres the pics Natty?
    John ( aka Cujo31 )
    Custom Car Care LLC

Car Detailing Whore
    Post Thanks / Like
    How did you manage to get your hands on that paste wax, a pox upon all your houses for such treachery!
    http://tassadar.ezekial.net

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Tassadar
    How did you manage to get your hands on that paste wax, a pox upon all your houses for such treachery!
    Tassadar you might just have to wait a few more days to find out

Natty it sounds like you`ve practiced enough on your wife`s car

....and moved on to the big time..black with a rotary
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Boss_429
    I can only imagine how nice those vehicles looked!

Post Thanks / Like
    I read from a previous thread you should use the Pro Polish after SWR ???????

Then your topper...EX, UPP, Paste Wax (we can`t buy because we are not special)....???

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Cujo31
    Grats bro! Now I jsut need to bust some skills with the rotary. Actually I will start messing with one next week with a guy from here.

Cujo

Wheres the pics Natty?
    Didn`t have the prescence of mind to bring the digicam with me .

Tassadar.......I guess you could say I`ve been beta testing it. Actually more like alpha, beta and QA`ing all at the same time.

Boss.....to be honest I was a little surprised myself. I`ve never in my life seen first hand a black finish more liquid than the way the Audi turned out. And the Benz, which is 25 years old BTW and classifies for a classic status, looks good enough to be in a show.

Pardon my gloating here guys. It`s just that I was a little hesitant and doubting my abilities with the rotary on that kind of paint so I`m pretty happy the way it all came through.

Natty
    Natty

Post Thanks / Like
    When it comes to jobs like those I love the way a rotary makes the cars beauty come out. I did a 91 trooper that was red single stage paint. The rotary with a cutting wool pad and light cut compound did a killer job.
    Good work Natty
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like
    Natty

Awesome work there, you have every right to be gloating

Looks like we`ll have to get to together sometime and you can give me some lessons on a rotary Never used one but I`m thinking it`s time to learn.

Maybe Boss and Steve wouldn`t mind showing up..............lots of knowledge between those two.

Boss_429
    Originally posted by rtcat
    Natty
    Maybe Boss and Steve wouldn`t mind showing up..............lots of knowledge between those two.
    Bring lots, and lots of beer!

Post Thanks / Like
    ...and Diet Coke (with caffine)

Post Thanks / Like
    ....and lets be sure to do this somewhere near a good trout stream (Boss has a generator ).

Natty
    Natty

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Natty..don`t forget the Krispy Creme`s too..roflmao

Post Thanks / Like
    I`d love to learn how to use a rotary if someone can provide a practice panel. There`s a trout steam in my backyard, and the refrigerator has Diet Coke (both with and without caffeine) plus Beck`s beer. I`m located 20 minutes from Steve and have a 3 car garage to detail in. Any takers?

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by awd330
    I`d love to learn how to use a rotary if someone can provide a practice panel. There`s a trout steam in my backyard, and the refrigerator has Diet Coke (both with and without caffeine) plus Beck`s beer. I`m located 20 minutes from Steve and have a 3 car garage to detail in. Any takers?
    A very enticing offer! If you stock that refrig with some cold Yeungling (sp?) perhaps we can convince Boss_429 to offer up a part of his truck as a practice panel. LOL

We can use my truck next time

Natty
    Natty

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information