Post Thanks / Like

Question Detailing under the Spoiler?

Hey everyone! This is my first post here. A little about my car: It`s a 2003 Dodge SRT-4 (turbo Neon) and it`s black. Wonderful orange-peel production black . I also live in Seattle, and we just had a fairly `dirty` winter, with all the sand put on the roads and the typically cruddy weather we get in the Winter.

With everything else and people who don`t know how to use the handles on the doors, this leaves me with a lot of spiderwebbing and light scratches. I live in a condo, so I`m forced to use the local high-pressure hand car wash to wash my car. I`ve been using the evil brush there (rinsed it with the sprayer first) and that has surely contributed to my surface condition. On top of things, I was using a CWB knockoff I bought at Target. I caught a piece of grit under the blade and put a few nasty scratches on the rear quarter-panel.

After all this, I made the decision to pick up a PC from ToolsForLess.com. While surfing around for info on the PC, I found this site. I can definately say I`ve learned a LOT over the past week!. My PC showed up yesterday, but alas, the weather has made a turn for the worse again, so it may be another week until I can put the pad to the paint.

With that in mind, here are my questions:

1. My car has a HUGE spoiler from the factory. So big, I could probably get the PC under there to do the trunk. I don`t want to risk scratching the underside of the spoiler with the machine, however. Any suggestions for using a machine on a trunk with a spoiler? Should I just remove it and put it back after I`m finished? It`s only 4 screws and a rubber gasket..

2. Before my `enlightenment`, I just bought all three bottles of Meguiars Deep Crystal system. It`s a 3-step that includes cleaner, polish and carnuba wax. Has anyone used the PC to apply these particular products? I`m thinking that light work with a PC and the stage 1 cleaner should minimize the scratches and spiderwebs on the car. Opinions? I`d really like to try the PB products and spend even more money, but I can`t at the moment :nono

TIA for the input!

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Detailing under the Spoiler?

First Welcome to DC

With everything else and people who don`t know how to use the handles on the doors, this leaves me with a lot of spiderwebbing and light scratches.

some areas you will still need to do by hand.....

I live in a condo, so I`m forced to use the local high-pressure hand car wash to wash my car. I`ve been using the evil brush there (rinsed it with the sprayer first) and that has surely contributed to my surface condition.

:bigscream not the Evil Brush :beat

On top of things, I was using a CWB knockoff I bought at Target. I caught a piece of grit under the blade and put a few nasty scratches on the rear quarter-panel.

:eek :angry

After all this, I made the decision to pick up a PC from ToolsForLess.com.

:jump

While surfing around for info on the PC, I found this site. I can definately say I`ve learned a LOT over the past week!.

:cool

My PC showed up yesterday, but alas, the weather has made a turn for the worse again, so it may be another week until I can put the pad to the paint.

With that in mind, here are my questions:

1. My car has a HUGE spoiler from the factory. So big, I could probably get the PC under there to do the trunk. I don`t want to risk scratching the underside of the spoiler with the machine, however. Any suggestions for using a machine on a trunk with a spoiler? Should I just remove it and put it back after I`m finished? It`s only 4 screws and a rubber gasket..

For a full detail remove it...bit not too often unless you buy some extra rubber gaskets...don`t over tighten either...

2. Before my `enlightenment`, I just bought all three bottles of Meguiars Deep Crystal system. It`s a 3-step that includes cleaner, polish and carnuba wax. Has anyone used the PC to apply these particular products? I`m thinking that light work with a PC and the stage 1 cleaner should minimize the scratches and spiderwebs on the car. Opinions?

Yes you should be able to use your new pc with what you have...

I`d really like to try the PB products and spend even more money, but I can`t at the moment :nono

we`ll be around whenever you`re ready
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice car, I like those.
    1. Try doing it by hand first (try different products like meg`s or Poorboy`s stuff). You can wrap MF towel around the spoiler and try with PC.
    The last case is to remove the spoiler carefully (Not recomended, unless you really need to)
    "A Auto Detailing"
    Charlotte, NC

Post Thanks / Like
    As mentioned, I really would not recommend removing the spoiler. It`s just not a good idea.

You would be much better off just doing that area, and any other hard to reach areas by hand.
    Last edited by mirrorfinishman; 03-17-2004 at 08:28 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I wouldn`t remove the spoiler except as a last resort. When you remove something like that from the car it is very easy to not get everything sealed when you put it back on. Then you will end up with water in places that it shouldn`t be in.
    It`s what you learn after you know it all that counts ... John Wooden

Thread Information