Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

New Guy here, with a black car, i got some ???`s

alright, iv`e been doing some reading around on the site for a few hours now. seems like there are some guys here that know what there doing. ok, i`ll lay it out for ya.
    i have a 2000 BLACK mustang. the paint is starting to fade on me alittle bit. on the hood and the trunk lid are the worst spots. i keep my car as clean as i can, meaning i wash and wax reguarly. but i must be just doing something wrong. iv`e tried zymol, zaino, ext. but i just cant get that wet, wet shine like i want. what do you guess suggest that i use? anything from the tools i need(buffers, towels....) and what products you guys have had the best result with. im up for putting the time into it for the results. oh yeah, this is my daily driver too. thanks to all
    Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the DC . Why don`t you post some pics if you can . :welcome

Post Thanks / Like
    i`ll see if i can get my hands on a digital camera.
    Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to dc. I would hope alot of people here know where there doing.Fadeing as in clear coat or justthe paint is dull andn ot shinney?
    "you cant judge a car by its cover "

Post Thanks / Like
    I own two black vehicles, and also see them on a regular basis in my shop. Trust me on this, you need to polish (possibly cut) the clearcoat. And I mean a high speed rotary polisher too. I own a PC and a Rotary, and when it comes to really bringing back that deep black wet look, I`ve had the best success with the rotary. In fact, I only use the PC for applying glazes and sealants now. I recently did a 2001 Aurora that was severely neglected (I mean so swirled and faded it just looked hazy.) I cut it with the rotary and megs red pad at 1500 rpm using ssr 2.5, followed up with ssr 2.0 at 1200 rpm, and finished with VM glaze on the PC at 4.5. I topped it with UPP and it was stunning. The customer couldn`t believe it was the same car. Let me see if I can figure out how to post some before and afters. Just my opinion.
    I love the smell of EX-P in the morning.

Post Thanks / Like
    Before:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Guy here, with a black car, i got some ???'s-arrival-003.jpg-.jpg  

Post Thanks / Like
    And after:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Guy here, with a black car, i got some ???'s-detail-hood-clouds-reflection-008-.jpg  

Post Thanks / Like
    And another look:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Guy here, with a black car, i got some ???'s-detail-006new.jpg  

Post Thanks / Like
    yummmy! - great job on the aurora!
    You have activated my special ability....

2004 Civic EX magnesium HondaMan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome job....what do you mean by "you need to polish (possibly cut) the clearcoat. And I mean a high speed rotary polisher too."

First, can you define "cut"?

Second, high speed rotary polisher as opposed to.....what? Is the PC 7424 the former or the latter?
    "Marge...weaseling out of things is what separates us from the animals. Except the weasel." - Homer Simpson

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow ! That is awsome. Good job !

Post Thanks / Like
    Honda, when I said "cut", I meant cut the clearcoat (effectively removing a minute portion), to remove the imperfections. To do this, I used a rotary aka high speed circular polisher using a meguiars red cutting pad and a pretty abrasive compound. The combination of the speed of the polisher in a circular direction and the abrasive content in the compound generates heat that will remove a bit of the clearcoat (and also the blemishes within).

The PC 7424 is not a rotary polisher. It is a random orbital polisher. A rotary polisher moves strictly in a circular pattern and can generate a lot of heat. The random orbital (PC 7424) basically jiggles in a random pattern and does not generate nearly as much heat.

I have both tools and use them for different purposes.

If I have serious scratches and swirls in the paint, I use the rotary with the appropriate combination of pad and polish.

If I`m apply a finish polish such as ssr1 or a glaze such as VM, I most definately use the PC. I have used the PC to apply sealants as well and had great results.

These are different tools, and have different purposes. If you have neither, I would suggest you start with the PC and eventually graduate to the rotary.

And thanx for the compliments. That Aurora was a beeeetch!
    I love the smell of EX-P in the morning.

Post Thanks / Like
    AURORA facelift
    Doesn`t get much better.
    Great job and thanks for sharing!
    Truly inspiring work.:band :band
    Last edited by Lionel22; 08-04-2004 at 09:58 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    BlackStang

I have a black BMW and what I think without seeing the car is you need swril remove and polish before waxing. I would look at the Poorboys lineup for those, you can get good results by hand and are user freindly for beginners
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like
    The key to keeping a black car swirl free is proper washing products and techniques. Pick up a good sponge and wafle weave drying towel from one the online stores. Polishing the car should restore the depth and remove the swirls. The hood, roof and trunk take the worst beating of all the surfaces.

In order to use Zymol and Zaino you need to properly prep your car first with a good polish, otherwise you just putting them over a bad finish and they will hilight this.

And on black cars, don`t do anything in the direct sunlight or when the paint is hot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information