Mothers Wax Forum

Go Back   Wax Forum > Paint Care

Paint Care Ask questions, seek advice, and share techniques about exterior paint care.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools     Search this Thread     Display Modes  
Old 11-29-2005

Question How can I make metallic silver look good?

I have 2 Metallic silver cars. What do you recommened to make these cars turn heads. I was thinking claybar, powerpolish, fxsynwax, then top it with 2 coats of natural carnuaba wax paste. Do you think this will make the paint get peoples attention? Its really hard making this silver look good. I use an orbital buffer also. Would you recommend changing anything in my planned process? I want good depth and lots of reflections.
Old 11-29-2005

Default Re: How can I make metallic silver look good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02silverfocus
I have 2 Metallic silver cars. What do you recommened to make these cars turn heads. I was thinking claybar, powerpolish, fxsynwax, then top it with 2 coats of natural carnuaba wax paste. Do you think this will make the paint get peoples attention? Its really hard making this silver look good. I use an orbital buffer also. Would you recommend changing anything in my planned process? I want good depth and lots of reflections.

I have 2 silver cars also, and they really stand out.

I have tried every combo of products including the ones your detailing plan.

What worked best for me is your plan using TopCoat instead of carnuaba and touching it up with FX spray wax.

Also I found for me two thin coats of SynWax works better than one, I know, it has cleaners in it but on silver its EZ to miss a spot and with two coats I think you get better coverage.

Also I found that to make my cars really stand out I have to make sure the tires, rims and trim are to the same standards as the paint.

Hope this helps and I'm sure that some of the very helpful members of this forum will have some great advice for you.

Sure would like to see the photos of your silver cars when your done.

kbshadow
Stockton Ca
Old 11-30-2005

Hard to get depth out of silver... I'd recommend the following:

1. wash
2. clay - at the very least the hood, roof, and deck lid
3. either phase 1 (pre-wax cleaner) or power polish
4. FX Synwax
5. Topcoat
6. after washes and in between waxing, follow-up with FX Spray Wax.

This regimen has worked well for me on any color. Of course, typically, I skip the Topcoat, but a lot of folks like it for a topper to get a little more depth and protection. The choice of wax is just a matter of personal preference, but I think the FX Synwax will work best on your finish. However, the key to getting a great looking finish is surface prep - washing, claying, polishing. Hope this info helps.
Old 11-30-2005

I know with my experiance I have had great luck with Reflections Car Wax and Top coat. I havnt used FX, but I know what you are talking about. I use a Dynabraid D A with a 6 inch foam pad then whipe it off with a micro fiber cloth. Reflections I think is for the High Metallic colors. And its really easy to use. Im sure which ever you use either Fx or Reflections will work great. But I perfer Reflections. Its a great product. And Reflections is sopposed to have a deeper look then FX. I have done many silver cars and they all look great!
Closed Thread