Mothers Wax Forum

Go Back   Wax Forum > Paint Care

Paint Care Ask questions, seek advice, and share techniques about exterior paint care.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools     Search this Thread     Display Modes  
Old 06-30-2007

Default car just delivered, what to do?

Hello and greetings from Marion, VA. My name is Ryan, i am now the proud new owner of a Uni Black VW Rabbit. The car is still in route from port in Alabama to the dealership in TN. I have requested the dealership not to detail the car for me, just for the simple fact that i know that no one will clean the car as i will. This will be my first black car, and i would love to protect it and keep it looking as good as it did the day that my VW met Mothers! On my current vehicle i use the California Gold Car Wash(two bucket method), Scratch Remover, and Carnauba Cleaner Wax. Just a good 1-2 hour job, with outstanding results!

Now, my questions for all you experts are: 1) would you clay bar a vehicle off the truck that has been wrapped in plastic? 2) do i have to do the three step system after clay barring? 3) if no to #2, is it possible to use my California Carnauba Cleaner right after the clay bar? 4) if yes to #3, will it be okay/worth laying another coat of the Carnauba Cleaner for a better shine/more protection?

I just do not see preforming the three step after a clay bar on a brand new vehicle. yes, i will do this in the fall after the car sees some polutants. will someone please spare me their time and give me some direction?!?

Thank you Mothers for giving us this informative and helpful forum along with your wonderful products!
Old 07-01-2007
Administrator

Default Re: car just delivered, what to do?

Welcome, Silly Rabbit!

Claying is a good idea because there generally are areas that aren't protected by the covering, and sometimes bits of the covering are left behind.

We agree with your decision to only have the dealer remove the plastic covering and not "detail" it -- we hear all too often that the dealer workers are in a hurry and enthusiasts end up regretting having them do more than just the bare minimum.

Claying should take minimal effort, and likely no more than about 30-45 minutes on your VW, but you'll hopefully feel good knowing you're starting with a clean slate.

The Carnauba Cleaner Wax or FX SynWax would be good choices if you want a one-step process this time around. Obviously, the Carnauba Cleaner Wax is included in our Clay kit, but you're not required to use it. FX is a little easier to use. You'll probably enjoy either product and if you keep the car looking good, wash and dry it properly, you enjoy sticking with a 1-step process.

Keep in mind that it's just one application... you can always change your mind next time. The most important thing is you keep it protected, looking good and easy to maintain.
Old 07-01-2007

Ryan.
I wholeheartedly agree with our friend at Admin.
The clay bar treatment would be the very first step of all.
I'm not sure if VW manufacture their vehicles within Continental US, but you say it's coming from Port in Alabama to the dealer in Tennessee, so I tend to think that they don't, and if not, then consider this.
It was taken, probably by train from the manufacturer to the port, then across the Atlantic, then from port to you. It's driven onto and off the ship. There are times when this vehicle was in the open close to salt air and aboard a train or car hauling rig.
There is every chance that some part of the paint would have some contaminants embedded in even this new paint.

Also, the small amount of work you do at this front end will see you having less work to do every subsequent time.
I would do the clay bar treatment, and we would still recommend the complete 3 step process, especially for a black car.
If you want to go with a single step product, then Admin's suggestion of the FX SynWax is a good one for the darker colour. The original Carnauba Cleaner Wax, is an excellent, mostly underrated product which will make you car look good, but I'm looking off a ways, to the time immediately following the first time you do the complete 3 step process, that first moment when you see the car roll out from the shade and into the Sun, and you just smile, and say, 'Man, I wish I did this when I picked it up new.'
True, it will take time to do the whole process, but, as you said yourself, you're going to do it sooner or later, and the sooner it is, the better it will be for your car's paint, the more practice you will get, and the quicker the routine of working with your car's care will become.
If you're an old guy like me, then your muscles will complain, but if you're younger, then when you see your car, the pain becomes insignificant.
You just wait.

Also, have a read around here while the car is still coming. Read as much as you can, detail guide, frequently asked questions ,the threads and posts. The more you read, the more that sits in the back of the brain until that time it's needed to be recalled. Everything is here. If you can't find it, then ask, on the forum. Within hours, sometimes minutes, someone will give you an answer or tell you where to find what you want to know.

Now, putting on a second layer of Carnauba Cleaner Wax. See that second word there,.............Cleaner............ This product has cleaners in it, tiny particles that clean the surface of your paint, albeit on a level of microns, so you can't do any damage to your paint over the whole life of the car. The Wax itself does not clean, as it just offers a thin and hard layer of protection, but the cleaners actually clean the surface of your paint, so if you put a layer of Cleaner Wax over a layer of Cleaner Wax, then, in effect, you are cleaning some of the previous layer away.
So, two layers of a single stage product, no matter which one, will tend to be redundant, as it will potentially remove part of that original layer, if you see the point I'm trying to make.
Read the FAQ area, and, as you read, you'll say, 'Yeah! I can see that now.'
The more you read, the more you'll know what to do when the time comes.

Tony.

"Old man look at my life, I'm a lot like you were."------Neil Young.
Old 07-01-2007

Thumbs up Re: car just delivered, what to do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly_Rabbit View Post
Hello and greetings from Marion, VA. My name is Ryan, i am now the proud new owner of a Uni Black VW Rabbit.
Ryan,

Welcome to the neighborhood.

Amazing .... I was in Marion, VA last weekend with a buddy to pick up a new GTO at Marion Automotive. You are surrounded by beautiful countryside. I'm sure you know some fun roads for your new V-Dub.

I would Clay Bar the car and then go with either Carnauba or Reflections to get the deep wet glow that you're used to.

And on a black car I think the drying technique is the key to keeping it swirl/spider web free. Use Forrest's patented pat-dry method and you should be fine.

Enjoy the new car ..... once you get over the anticipation of waiting for it to arrive.

Rollin

'15 Dodge Challenger SRT - B5 Blue
'17 Dodge Durango R/T - Granite Crystal
Old 07-01-2007

Welcome Silly_Rabbit!

I see that you've talked about doubling the layer of your Mothers Carnauba Cleaner Wax and that others have told you about its cleaning properties and that it won't work. Well, let me tell you about a process that I know of that's worth a try.

There's a certain detailing company here in my country that has a "Double Wax" service. At first, I thought that it would be two layers of wax put on a car which puzzled me due to two things. One was that layering is a myth and two, that how can such a prominent detailing company offer a stand alone service without cleaning the surface? The answer came to me when I called them up and inquired about the service. It turns out that the first layer of wax is a Carnauba Cleaner Wax and the second, Pure Carnauba Wax.

I then tried it at home using Mothers Cleaner Carnauba Paste Wax and Mothers California Gold Pure Carnauba Paste Wax. The results worked for me. After following up the first coat with pure wax, there was a deeper gloss.

For me, though, that is only a second option when it comes to detailing cars. I only do that to my mother's (my mom, not the brand) SUV and my father's pick-up truck to save strength while still having a good result.

The three step process is still the way to go for me because from experience, the difference is noticeable. Each step doing a stand alone job is still better than an all-in-one product, anytime. The only matter is your time and effort that you put into it.

Hope this helps.

Grabby

I wish I could just detail everyday.

Old 07-01-2007

thanks for all of your help and advice. I do like the idea of the three step process, but i do believe i think i'm going to hold off this time. I am, however, going to invest in the Clay bar kit, and the Pure Carnauba. So when i'm ready to wax it again in fall, i'll just need to pick up step 1, and 2. I'm just going to clay it, carnauba clearner, then at last, lay a thin coat of the pure carnauba. my new question is, whats the difference between hard paiste style wax, versus liquid? i have in the past used the solid paiste. i am too afraid to use power equipment on my vehicles.

Wizard, its cool to see someone who has visited Marion. It is a small town, but it is a nice place to live. There are a ton fun back roads, as well as only 30-45 minutes away from the famous US 421... a.k.a. The Snake. For those of you who don't know, US 421 connects Mountain City, TN; to Bristol, TN; while giving us 488 curves in 20 miles. It is probably one of the coolest roads i have ever been on. But back to Marion, it is the Birthplace/Home of Mountain Dew!
Old 07-01-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly_Rabbit View Post
thanks for all of your help and advice. I do like the idea of the three step process, but i do believe i think i'm going to hold off this time. I am, however, going to invest in the Clay bar kit, and the Pure Carnauba. So when i'm ready to wax it again in fall, i'll just need to pick up step 1, and 2. I'm just going to clay it, carnauba clearner, then at last, lay a thin coat of the pure carnauba. my new question is, whats the difference between hard paiste style wax, versus liquid? i have in the past used the solid paiste. i am too afraid to use power equipment on my vehicles.
Greetings!

There's a thread entitled "Paste Wax" about your question which was posted by TonyFromOz. I replied to that post as well and that thread should answer your question.

Grabby

Old 07-01-2007

Ryan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly_Rabbit
..........So when I'm ready to wax it again in fall, I'll just need to pick up step 1, and 2. I'm just going to clay it, carnauba cleaner, then at last, lay a thin coat of the pure carnauba.

Sounds like a good plan.
One thing to be aware of though is that in the fall, when the time comes to start your three step process, the step 1 will clean away everything on your paint, and take it back to just the bare paint, so you'll need to do all three steps for the complete coverage and protection.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly_Rabbit
My new question is this. What's the difference between hard paste style wax, versus liquid?

This is the thing that I'm currently weighing up, and I'm leaning towards the Paste Wax, only because now I'm used to the recommended time line in the 'detail guide', the liquid wax will only last a certain number of applications, and the paste wax will last a considerable number of applications more that the liquid will. I also have an opinion,(and it might even be misguided, I'm not sure) that I can apply it a little more thinly than with the application of the liquid.
You squeeze a small amount of the liquid wax onto the applicator and then apply it to the small section in work. With the paste, I perceive you wipe the applicator across the paste, and then apply it to the section in work, so I reckon you can get a thinner application, which does not mean you are skimping, and I'll explain why here.

This next bit here took me a while to understand, and once I did understand it, it worked out to be basically big sounding words for not very much fact.
The wax in the liquid has a carrier that holds the wax particles in suspension. You apply the liquid, and the carrier then slowly disappears. (There are guys out there who'd like to think car care is all a big secret that only they understand, and these guys will call this process where the carrier disappears 'flashing off', and trust me, car care is not secret at all. We'll tell whoever wants to know about it) When the carrier goes away, what is left is the wax as it hazes up, and as you wipe it off with your Microfibre polishing cloth, you are removing some of the wax, and turning the remaining amount of wax into a hard shell, at the micron level. This shell of hardened wax is the sacrificial layer. This is what protects your paint, and gradually, wears away. What the detail guide indicates is the 'ballpark' time span that this shell might last before you need another application.

Now, all of that might sound like gobbledegook, but trust that detail guide. Guys with vastly more experience than we as amateurs might be, have worked out over years the time that sacrificial layer of wax will last.

Having said all that, if you've stuck around to read this far, (sorry) the paste wax is just that. More of the wax and less of the carrier. Hence, it will last for considerably more applications than the liquid, and it's not me who says that. All the guys who do use the paste say it, and they're the ones trying to convince us to swap over.

Again, these things aren't secret. You just need someone to point you in the right direction to find it all out for yourself.

Long story short. Do the Cleaner Wax now. Next time do all three steps. You don't need special testimonials to try and convince you. Just read the posts of guys who do the three steps.
What puts guys off is the time involved, but that time is always well spent. With each application, you see things in your paint and your trim that you learn from.

I know I write long posts, but I just try and tell the whole story.
I know that L'Oreal uses the tag line, 'Because you're worth it', and this is not an attempt to usurp that piece of advertising, but we use Mothers because our cars are worth it.

Tony.

"Old man look at my life, I'm a lot like you were."------Neil Young.
Old 07-01-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyfromOz View Post
I know I write long posts, but I just try and tell the whole story.
I know that L'Oreal uses the tag line, 'Because you're worth it', and this is not an attempt to usurp that piece of advertising, but we use Mothers because our cars are worth it.
Tony,

If I may deviate from the topic at hand for a while, let me tell you that I think this is the way it should be. Telling the whole story addresses the whole topic. It's usually hard when people just give parcels of facts leaving the big picture still a bit vague. I admire this quality of yours.

Grabby

Last edited by grabby; 07-02-2007 at 09:20 PM.
Old 07-02-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by grabby View Post
Tony,

If I may deviate from the topic at hand for a while, let me tell you that I think this is the way it should be. Telling the whole story addresses the whole topic. It's usually hard when people just give parcels of facts leaving the big picture still a bit vague. I admire this quality yours.

Grabby
As well as i do! Thanks for your help, i do believe i will pay the extra few dollars for the paiste. and like i said, all i will have to buy come fall will be steps 1 and 2. Thank you all very much.
Closed Thread