Mothers Wax Forum

Go Back   Wax Forum > Paint Care

Paint Care Ask questions, seek advice, and share techniques about exterior paint care.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools     Search this Thread     Display Modes  
Old 07-22-2009

Default Power Polish vs UWS Phase 1

Which is better for 3-step first stage using PC buffer: Power Polish or UWS phase 1?

FYI, I will use UWS phase 2 and 3, then top off with Reflections Top Coat.

I also got a bottle of Reflections Wax, but not sure if I should incorporate it with this detail job. I may save it for another vehicle used alone with clay bar and top coat.

Finally, I plan to use White Lake Country CCS 5.5" pads.

Let mek now what you think, folks! Thanks in advance...
Old 07-22-2009
Administrator

Default Re: Power Polish vs UWS Phase 1

If you're using a white pad, likely either PowerPolish or Pre-Wax Cleaner would produce similar results.

There would be virtually no benefit going beyond the UWS Steps 1 Pre-Wax Cleaner, 2 Sealer & Glaze and 3 Pure Carnauba Wax. Reflections Top Coat would be redundant over Pure Carnauba Wax. Reflections Car Wax would also add virtually no benefit here.

Should you want to experiment, you could try different combinations of these (the redundant products that is) and see if you can tell the difference -- if you cannot, remove the unnecessary step from your routine and save yourself the extra work.
Old 07-22-2009

Roger that, admin. Thank you for the clarification, yet again.

So, using Top Coat on top of Pure Carnauba will not help in longevity of protection?

What about Power Polish? How does this hold up against, Step1 Pre Wax? Any advantage using it with the PC?
Old 07-22-2009
Administrator

Top Coat and Pure Carnauba Wax should have very similar qualities -- think of them both as a pure wax. You can do two coats, but the 2nd coat offers a marginal return.

Again, with the white pad, I'd stick with Pre-Wax Cleaner if for no other reason other than PowerPolish is tough to find in stores. You can use Pre-Wax Cleaner by hand, but you can't really use PowerPolish by hand.
Old 07-23-2009

Trac 511, do you have Power polish or an orange pad? What size is your backing plate?
Old 07-23-2009

Abnot, I don't have Power Polish. Was thinking of ordering it, but may just stick with UWS step1. I do have orange pads. I don't know the exact size of the backing plate on the PC (I borrow it), but I've used 5.5" pads on it so it has to be some size smaller than 5.5".
Old 07-23-2009
Administrator

Until you explain what detailing challenge you may have, we can't assess if you have a need for the orange or yellow pads.

Best thing you can do is try the Ultimate Wax System. Pre-Wax Cleaner (readily available at Pep Boys) is inexpensive compared to PowerPolish, especially if you have to order it.

You can always take a different approach next time, and every time you polish and wax you learn something.
Old 07-23-2009

The Dark Blue Pearl paint on my '04 is still in very good shape IMO. It does have some spider webbing and water and bird spots. I've used UWS in the past and it corrected or hid the above problems nicely.

Lately I've been asking a lot of questions about Mother's products. It borders on education to over-analyzation. However, this is borne from the simple fact that given the amount of time and effort I will be sacrificing to detail my truck, I want to know the best products for me so that I can get the most out of my time and effort. In the past it has taken well over three days to accomplish! So, if I'm doing a 3-step process, I want to use the best product possible for EACH step!

But from what I've gathered recently, it's back to basics: Stick with wash, claybar, and UWS! White pad for step1, blue for step2, and black for step3. Sound about right to you folks?

As for product, UWS is readily available, as is Reflections and FX wax. Top Coat and Power Polish I have to order. I'm willing to spend a little more and order if such product will yield better results.
Old 07-23-2009

It is actually common for us to try to really understand why than just take advice blindly. The question on hand is will what you have work?

So, go ahead and try the step 1 and the white pad. You do not need to do the entire car. I would pick out a couple test spot (like the front fender or the rear pillar area) and try it. For me, I notice swirls on the rear roof pillar area more because it is usually at a nice angle and the sun bounces off to expose them so easy to judge results.

If it works or makes an improvement to your satisfaction, continue if not you can wax over it to restore protection and do more studying.

You could post some pics and see what people say since everyone's opinion on paint swirls severity can vary.
Old 07-23-2009
Administrator

Yes, try the Pre-Wax Cleaner and the white pad. If that doesn't give the result you like, try the orange pad or order a yellow pad and PowerPolish; but remember that if you use the yellow pad, you'll want to follow again with the white pad.

Last edited by admin; 07-23-2009 at 04:25 PM. Reason: to add clarification
Closed Thread