Mothers Wax Forum

Go Back   Wax Forum > Paint Care

Paint Care Ask questions, seek advice, and share techniques about exterior paint care.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools     Search this Thread     Display Modes  
Old 10-28-2004

Default Acid wash or Mother's products for water spots

Hi,

I have a new black (clearcoat) Lincoln LS. The car was purchased new from a dealer and I got a very good deal. The one problem is that the car has a ton of water spots.

I take the car to a closer dealership for service than the one I bought it from. They recommend using an acid wash to remove the spots and then sealing and waxing. Of course, since the car is brand new, it's under warranty to have them do the work.

My question is this - should I let them do it or attempt to use some Mother's products to do the job? I have ordered the 3 step system and planned to try it before letting the dealership have a shot at it. I used Reflections on a small area and it did a decent job, but didn't remove every bit of the spots. My concern is that the acid wash could be too harsh and my good deal won't look so good. I don't want to be in a situation where I have to negotiate for another car or some other sort of option.

Thanks,

Bill

Last edited by Bill Sparks; 10-28-2004 at 01:57 PM.
Old 10-28-2004

Default Re: Acid wash or Mother's products for water spots

Why you dotn try vineager, take a terry cloth and vienager and clean the surface affected my water spots, take a look and try again until they dissapear, then use your wax or if you want your pre wax cleaner adn then wax. Let us know if it worked.The vienager is not gonna do anything bad to your paint so dont be afraid of doing it.
Old 10-28-2004
Mothers® Polish

Water spots can usually be removed with vinegar - acid rain spots will remain.

Vinegar is easier and cheaper than the acid wash, so I'd give it a try first. Personally, I'd rather have a go at it myself than let the dealer try the acid wash.

Afterwards, wash, clay, polish if required and then slap a coat of your favorite protection product on.
Old 10-29-2004

Tried the vinegar on windshield, it worked, but on areas where the water stains are hard and thick, lots are still left on windshield and clay bar couldn't take care of it? Whats steps should I take?
Old 10-29-2004
Mothers® Polish

On the windshield (never on paint), try 0000 Steel Wool and a soap water lube.

Or, try our Chrome Polish with a terry cloth applicator. Apply, let dry, then buff off the residue.
Old 10-30-2004

Question Re: Acid wash or Mother's products for water spots

where do i buy 0000 steel wool, automagic has something similar but according to them, their steel wool cannot be soaked in water. Does that make any sense?
Old 10-30-2004

0000 steel wool can be found in many hardware stores or hdwr depts. in stores like Wal-Mart. It's often with wood refinishing supplies.
Make sure you get the 4-0 steel wool, as the fewer the 0's, the coarser the wool, and you wouldn't want to scratch anything now would you?

Sorry, can't help with the AutoMagic question.
Old 10-30-2004

The only problem with steel wool and water is that at the end of the day steel wool will rust.
Closed Thread