Mothers Wax Forum

Go Back   Wax Forum > Paint Care

Paint Care Ask questions, seek advice, and share techniques about exterior paint care.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools     Search this Thread     Display Modes  
Old 12-04-2012

Default Mom's Carnuba Wax California Gold

New to the forum, but been lurking and reading for a while.

I have been detailing cars for many years using different products. I like to use what works, not what is in fashion. I recently switched to Mothers after a test run on one of my vehicles treating half with Mothers and half with a competitor. After 6 weeks in the south east Texas sun, I came to the conclusion that Mothers performed better.

Conclusions (my $.02)
  • I felt the clay bar and cleaner were the same between the two manufacturers.
  • Mothers Polish & Glaze was superior, better depth of shine. I did literally "feel" that the paint was slicker with Mothers
  • Carnuba wax lasted longer & stayed shinier

I did this test on one of my black cars, so that's the hardest on waxes I feel as they get the hottest in the Texas sun.

My question after all this is about the Cali Gold Carnuba Wax. It is difficult to get off either leaving it damp or drying to a haze. I am using the liquid as opposed to the paste.

What are the tips and tricks for application and removal?

I
just waxed my other black car over the weekend and had similar results. Easy to apply, but hard to get off. This is compared to the competition. The shine is excellent, but the work required detracts from the results. BTW, I am old school. I do this all by hand. Never had problems with swirls this way.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

E.
Old 12-04-2012
Administrator

Default Re: Mom's Carnuba Wax California Gold

Welcome to Wax Forum!

Usually difficulty in removal of a carnauba product is related to too much product or too much drying time -- or both.

Apply a panel at a time, and before you get too far ahead, go back to the first panel and test with a light swipe of your finger -- if it comes off cleanly, you're ready to go; if it streaks, give it a few more minutes.

Time will vary depending on temperature, humidity and wind.

And be sure to "Like" us on Facebook for updates on what we're doing!
Old 12-04-2012

Thanks!

Temp = low 70s
Humidity = 40%-50%
Wind = minimal, I was inside the garage

I would prefer to apply 2 light coats so I can put my "elbow grease" into buffing the shine out. I will try the past and see if that is easier. I think using the liquid may be too hard to control the amount of product.

Any other input from the forum?

Cheers,
E

1965 El Camino LS408, 1970 Chevelle SS 496, 1993 Pontiac Formula, 1998 Honda Accord, 2002 GMC Sonoma, 2005 Chevy Tahoe, 2007 Suzuki M109R
Old 12-04-2012
Administrator

If you're talking Pure Carnauba Wax (or Pure Brazilian Carnauba Wax), 2 coats is fine, but you want to buff off the first coat.

If you're talking Carnauba Cleaner Wax (or Brazilian Carnauba Cleaner Wax), the 2nd coat will remove the first.

And be sure to "Like" us on Facebook for updates on what we're doing!
Old 12-04-2012

I am referring to California Gold Pure Brazilian Carnauba Wax – Step 3 - link

1965 El Camino LS408, 1970 Chevelle SS 496, 1993 Pontiac Formula, 1998 Honda Accord, 2002 GMC Sonoma, 2005 Chevy Tahoe, 2007 Suzuki M109R
Old 12-04-2012

If you apply real thin, you barely need to apply any form of elbow grease. Application and Removal should be pretty effortless. The paste version can actually be easier. It can be easier to control the amount of product applied to the car, and you can get a lot more applications vs. liquid and durability is also better with the paste version.
Old 12-05-2012

If working by hand, I prefer to use a foam applicator. Also, do not rely on visuals as much to determine good coverage since you can over apply. Apply such it appears that you may not be getting enough and go over the area 3 times. This will insure proper coverage.

The liquid is quick forgiving for over application but if you have removal issues as said earlier then remove quickly after application so maybe work one panel ahead: Spread one area, go to the next, buff off first area. You will know if you are buffing off too soon since it will drag more.
Old 12-15-2012

Paste wax is easier and a little goes a long way.

I like to describe the amount applied as "whisper thin", so you hardly see it.

2x whisper thin coats...quite easy to remove.

"The trouble with the world is that everyone's about three drinks behind" - Humphrey Bogart
Old 12-16-2012

I use it in the winter here, like the way the water beads.

I also use a little Showtime with it when I apply it.

Makes it easier to apply And remove.

Kbshadow
Stockton ca.
Closed Thread