Mothers Wax Forum

Go Back   Wax Forum > Paint Care

Paint Care Ask questions, seek advice, and share techniques about exterior paint care.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools     Search this Thread     Display Modes  
Old 05-12-2013

Default Confused on the steps- Clay? Compound? Polish? Wax?

I picked up a 1990 Chevrolet 454SS Pick Up, with a paint job needing resurrection. I am a newbie to taking care of paint jobs, especially ones that need resurrecting. I have been told to Clay, Compound, Polish, and Wax. I have no idea in what order this needs to be done and what is the best way to do each.

Is there somewhere on this site that can point me in the right direction as to what I need to do, based on my description of what the finish looks like?
Old 05-12-2013

Default Re: Confused on the steps- Clay? Compound? Polish? Wax?

I would follow the direction that are given with the clay bar kit. Next get the mothers 3 step system. Make sure you have alot of time bc this system does take the hold day to apply. After the clay bar process apply back to black to the exterior trim. This will make cleaning the polish and wax off the rubber and plastic alot easier and should prevent that whitening waxy residue from appearing. After applying back to black I recommend getting the mothers power ball for the first step.

Step 1 is the polish and it design to remove oxidation and minor(not deep) scratches and old wax to makes the surface smooth as glass. After completely that you can either apply Step 2 (sealer and glaze) by hand or power ball(make sure you completely clean and dry before using again). This step bring out the shine on the paint and clearcoat and fills any imperfection. Step 3 is the wax. I preferre the paste but you can use any other wax(not a cleaner wax).

When youre done I would reapply back to black to the trim and plastic and plastic polish to any clear plastics to remove any left over waxes. When you're done you'll be amazed how beautiful the vehicle will look.
Old 05-14-2013

Default Re: Confused on the steps- Clay? Compound? Polish? Wax?

That's basically it.

1. Clay
2. COmpound/Paint cleaner
3. Polish or Micropolishing Glaze
4. Wax

These steps will give you superior results vs. a "simple" carwash and wax job. Even with clay, using it will make the succeeding steps easier. Paint cleaners, glazes, waxes, etc., will be easier to apply and a lot easier to remove and leave an even slicker, smoother and will have a certain "glow" to your paint. Wax/sealant will bond better to the paint and last longer.

You can use Micropolishing Glaze and Pure Carnauba every couple of weeks (maybe every 6-8 weeks again depending on the environment you live in).

Maintain with weekly (or more if needed) car wash and regular instant detailing, instant detailing will remove light dust, keep your car shiny and will help in extending the wax protection and prevent contaminants from sticking.

You can also wax as you dry. After rinsing, spray the car with a Mothers Spray wax, either FX, Reflections, or even Showtime instant detailer.
Closed Thread