Thread: Westanding

Car Detailing Whore
    Post Thanks / Like

Westanding

Me and a friend are going to clean up a project car that has a 1 stage paintjob, and has never been wetsanded. Can someone tell me how you are supposed to wetsand? All I know is we are doing 4 steps with his 1x1500,2x2000,1x2500. We might do a once over with a 3000 to see if it makes it any brighter, and after which I am throughly cleaning the car up.
    http://tassadar.ezekial.net

Looking for 22% Discount TheCompleteLook's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    whenever I have wetsanded, I just use 1500 (if it`s terrible), then 2000. From 2000 you can polish it up with a high speed - Light compound, swirl remover, glaze - whatever you would use detailing.
    I think using 2500 might be good but also might be overkill.
    Rob
    www.thecompletelook.net

Looking for 22% Discount TheCompleteLook's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry, forgot to recommend - Always use a block, don`t go barehanded with the sandpaper, you won`t like how you ruin it.

Give us all the final verdict when you are done.
    Rob
    www.thecompletelook.net

Car Detailing Whore
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wont like how I ruin it going barehanded? Expland on that one.

And by block, what do you mean?

Afterwards the car paint will be compounded, SMR, glaze, wax. But it will be by hand.

I'm just a man.
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you use your hand (look at your hand for a min.) the ridges from joints and such will leave just that, ridges and such, in your paint. USE A BLOCK! Various types are available. I have no idea where you could get one though. I usualy use a da with foam interface pad. And all the blocks i use i get through my main local suplier. Also you can buff out 1500 without a lot of effor if your using a good compound. I don`t think i`ve ever bothered using a weaker grit on paint. Doh. Just saw the compounding will be by hand. In this case i`d use more grits. i`d go from 1500 to 200 to 3000. If your still haveing trouble getting the sanding scratches out use 4-5k. Only prob is those grits can be tough to source. The only way to proporly do this is with a rotory but you might be able to get by using just your hands. You may want to try poorboys ssr compounds as i`ve heard they can work will just by hand.
    The Koop Is BIZZZAAAK

Car Detailing Whore
    Post Thanks / Like
    The nice thing is, I am detailing his engine while he starts on the paint. He is paying me $20 to do the engine bay, but he is not willing to pay me for the rest of the work on the car. And is especially not willing to when it was going to cost him nearly $200. Hes a friend, so I will help a little, but I am not spending money out the wazoo to help him.

Post Thanks / Like
    you can get a block at your local paint supply shop, shouldn`t cost too much, definitely bring your friend with you and at least have him pick up a few supplies for you.

Post Thanks / Like
    oh yeah one other thing, I believe Meguiars has some sanding blocks that are blocks with attached sandpaper.

Your Canadian Connection sean connors's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Just did a gold jaguar today...I clayed the car down first...then used 2000 grit paper with soap and water(being sure i am using a megs sanding block). Once i was done I used megs 85 with a wool pad. After that i used megs dacp and a yellow pad. I followed that up with megs 82(swirl remover) with a yellow pad. Then finaly megs machine glaze with a finishing pad. It took a lot of work, but the look on the customers face was the best. He said it looked better than it did in the showroom, then he asked me to come work for his bodyshop. lol I obviously turned him down...but what a great compliment...the best 500 dollars i made:p

sorry no pic...some punk a$$ made off with my camera
    WHADDYA MEAN YOUR CIGARETTE LIGHTER DOESN`T WORK AFTER WE WASHED THE CAR!!

Thread Information