Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Where Do You Park?

After having one vehicle vandalized and another dinged ... I figuredv I should ask.

I try to park far away, and that just opens me up for vandalizm... Then when I park close up I get my doors dinged...

Where do you guys park? And sugestions?

Post Thanks / Like
    in 2000 I brough two new cars, the wifes BMW and my Jeep. The BMW I went out of my way to park in spots that would not allow dings, and the Jeep I parked where ever. The BMW has more dings than the Jeep, go figure!

When I park I always look for the end cut parking spaces. Like yourself I always park far away to keep away from dings. Another thing to think about is park next to higfh end cars they might respect your doors better.
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a `02 supercrew and an `02 durango. I generally try to park next to well kept vehicles regardless of how far away they are. I have found that whether at work or elsewhere, I don`t get dinged as often. Parking by high profile cars is a great idea also.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m my own worse enemy. Most of the dings and scratches on my car are my doing. The other car in the garage or something I`m carrying are usually my problems. :beat

In lots, I try to avoid the following - big two door coupes because of their long doors, the shopping cart corrals, places where people are leaving shopping carts outside of the corral and tight spaces.
    Fasten Your Seat Belt! It helps keep the aliens from sucking you out of the car.

Post Thanks / Like
    I park in the FIRE LANE!:hot

Post Thanks / Like
    It varies depending on the situation. I usually try to park towards the edge of a parking lot where nobody else bothers to park. Plus, I can usually get in the store long before someone waiting for that parking spot up close.

If I have to resort to parking next to other cars, then I will do as much as possible to decrease the chance of something happening. I`ll park next to cars that are either nice or more importanly appear to be well-taken care of. Something else I`ll try and do is park in a spot that is at the edge (whether it be a garage, front of parking lot, etc.) where only a person can pull up next to you with their passenger side. Then there`s a pretty good chance there isn`t a passenger in the car to sling open their door.

Strange name, ain't it? NattyBumppo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by fireman03
    I park in the FIRE LANE!:hot
    LOL

If I can`t find some end type spot or parallel spot where nobody is on either side of me, then I`ll look to park next to the most well maintained vehicle I can find except for very high end type cars.

Funny observation.....it is not uncommon (at least around northern, NJ) for the "high end" cars to be driven by people who just don`t give a sh_t. Very often, those 7 Series, big Benzs and Lexu`s are 2-3 year leases and the drivers only have the car because it is a status thing but they really don`t care less about automobiles. In my experience, these "high end" cars are the worst things to park next to. They get a new vehicle 2 years later anyway so taking care of the one they have now is not even a consideration. They`re lucky if they change the oil much less worry about dinging their door against yours. I`d much rather park next to some 19 year old`s Honda Civic CRV that shines like a mirror than next to Mrs. Jones leased brand new BMW X5 that looks like it already needs to be compounded.

I recall one time when I had my 1969 Mach 1...a lady in a brand new caddy parked next to me in the supermarket lot. I was sitting in the car waiting because I didn`t want to leave it parked there unattended. Sure as heck, she swings open the big caddy`s door and BAM! When I got out screaming she actually said she couldn`t believe I was making such a big deal out of it since my car was so old!
    Natty
    ------------------------------------------------
    "Sorry Miss, I just decided I don`t do mini-vans"

Post Thanks / Like
    I take no chances. I park out from all the other vehicles. Or I`ll pick an end spot and park so that I straddle the outside line. No dings since I bought the truck in 2000.

Natty, same thing happened to me once. Except the 300 pound female said "I didn`t hurt your ol` car," and walked into the store. When I left the parking lot we were even....
    2000 Silverado Ext Cab Z71
    Lt Pewter

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is somewhat of a joke in our house.
    My comment to passengers, "I can drop you off at the door or you can walk back with me."
    Most of the parking lots we frequent have a few spaces that are wider than normal, and I know where most of them are, otherwise I do pretty much like the rest of you.
    In all seriousness, it is not uncommon for me to park the equivalent of a couple of blocks out in a large parking lot, maybe two floors up in a ramp from the last car there before me. I figure no one else would be this paranoid.

:crazyCharles:crazy

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh I hate dings so much this thread is upsetting me just reading about what some people have done to your cars.

I`ve always tried to be careful and for 7 years I drove my Bereta GTZ and never got one single ding on it. Of course my ex`s two sons got in a fight, put a foot wide dent in the side, ended up on the trunk and hood. Had it in the garage once for repairs and something fell into it putting a nice gash in it. Two different times someone hit my bumpers and one guy backed his truck into the hood.

But NO dings!!
    If the wolf howls by the light of the moon in the dark of the night...

Post Thanks / Like
    I always park far away always in an end spot on your right hand side. I`ve even moved the car when somebody came in after me and got a little too close. If Im out running an errand or shopping I do it VERY quickly too. I`ve also been finding more and more nice cars parked out real far away in lots. I`m glad to know I`m in good comapny
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

My L5-S1 is killing me! wifehatescar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Bill D
    I`ve even moved the car when somebody came in after me and got a little too close.
    I thought I was the only one who did that :cool

Post Thanks / Like
    I can pick the farthest place from the front door and it doesn`t seem to matter. There can be 50 empty parking places around and some A$$ has to park right next to me. I also try to park on the high end of the lot (when applicable) so the loose shopping carts won`t roll into my car, can`t be too careful. Drives the wife nuts!

Gary
    Some people call it a 6 pack, I call it a support group.

Post Thanks / Like
    way the f**k away from everyone else

Boss_429
    Originally posted by CharlesW
    In all seriousness, it is not uncommon for me to park the equivalent of a couple of blocks out in a large parking lot, maybe two floors up in a ramp from the last car there before me. I figure no one else would be this paranoid.

:crazyCharles:crazy
    Charles,

I`m the guy parked a couple spaces behind you!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information