Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Low thread response Rate

Im fairly new to these DC forums, but unfortunately, ive noticed a pretty dissapointing trend around here.

There are MANY people with numerous questions, and they create threads accordingly, however....only a SELECT HANDFULL of people browsing and reading these threads EVER reply. This is kind of shocking really.

A thread with 180 views and only like 4 reply`s is pretty dissapointing and kind of makes you wonder what the heck is going on....

Im a member of the M3forums, and various other internet communities, and the most successful of these is when ALL the members try to be as helpfull as possible.

Now im not trying to rag on anyone, or criticize, im just saying if you have some helpfull input, or have something to say in reply to a thread you read....then TYPE IT and REPLY.

People need to start getting more active in helping and OFFERING advice and feedback and not just cruise, read and etc.

I hope this doesnt come off wrong, b/c again....im not trying to be mean. Its just i see a consistant patternof the same 8-15 people who respond to threads, and thats it....there are over one thousand members who are registered too.

Sorry, ahd to vent that. Much love goes out to all those who spend their time and energy to help, advaise and reply to thread`s that they read.

:beer
    -Mike

Owner - Mike`s Car Wash & Detail

A New Standard of Excellence.

"Invest in a company that you know can be run by an idiot...because soon enough, it will be." ~Peter Lynch

Post Thanks / Like
    Good point Mike. Sometimes, I think either the people viewing the threads are newbies or guests or perhaps they don`t have answers to the questions posed. You also have to remember that alot of members are not on the forum due to work, travel, etc. I don`t think it`s because they don`t care but because they are not logged on.

I also notice that alot of threads started are the same questions that were answered in another thread. It would be helpful if members either did a search or read thru some of the threads. Anyway, my 0.02 worth.

Post Thanks / Like
    and if you think about it - a lot of people may actually have the same question and are checking the thread for the answer - I think it`s not a fair comparison to pit the M3 forum against something like this (I belong to the TL forum) - because the focus in on a specific product the M3 - here it can cover a wide array of products, methods, and just plain simple questions...
    You have activated my special ability....

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve always wondered about this as well, but I think. Some people are viewing the thread because they want to read what others might think the solution might be. If I see a thread title that looks interesting, but don`t know an answer its where I learn from the others on here.

An example is the "extractor The little Green Machine" I have one so I was able to give some hands on advice about it.
    But there are a lot of threads that I know little if nothing about so I just read and learn.

I guess also I don`t want to log onto a thread to see people typing just because they feel like they should say something. That is the best part of this forum its about people that have hands on advice to offer. I have learned so much its amazing.
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like
    Some of the "views" could be attributed to hits from a search engine. In order to post, folks must be registered members.

I also agree with Beemerboy`s comment about not wanting to encourage people to post just for the sake of increasing the reply count. If you have something of value to contribute to the discussion, please jump in and help out. However, it`s a pet peeve of mine to see people making definitive statements and dispensing "off the cuff" advice when they really don`t have the knowledge or experience to justify such declarations. You could wind up doing more harm than good in these situations. [just a mini-rant here on my part nton ]

Post Thanks / Like
    Here`s my .02. As a relative newbie, I was intimidated at times to post my suggestions because there are several members on here that I would consider experts and I didnt want to look like an idiot. Also, I never seem to pick the right forum to post my topic. DUH! I am starting to get the hang of things around here and by just "listening" I have learned a tremendous amount. Enough so that when I do post a reply, I know a little about the subject. There is no need for senseless postings. I would rather have 5 replies from experienced members than have to filter through 50 to find what I am looking for. Detail City is a great forum and is also my favorite. I must say though, the detail bug has bitten me, and the bite isnt cheap! lol:dunno

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m just hear to learn... besides a closed mouth gathers no feet!

Post Thanks / Like
    Very good feedback from all of you, and i respect everyone`s individual viewpoints.

For the record, i do not encourage people to post just for the sake of posting a reply. Allim saying is that im interested in learning about YOUR experience, whether your a multi-detail owning business man, or the avg. joe who tried a few products out and feels like he knows a thing or two....i am simply saying it is nice to have reply`s from both ends of the spectrum.

I do not think people on these forums will bash you if you are a `newbi` and seem to ask seemingly simple question or whatnot, people are very respective from what i see, and incredibly helpful, and that why you are ALL awesome!

I for one am NOT embarrassed in asking multiple and detailed questions, simply b/c i love to feed off people`s knowledge, technnique and advice.

Business isnt a cut and dry type of deal....it shifts, changes and evolves, and thats why im always on the prowl for `the next best thing,` whether this be a product, a new tool or a technique i can use. With that said, i strongly beleive that there are incredible members on DC who have ALOT to offer, and it amazes me how much ive learned jsut from browsing various threads/topics.

Respectfully,

Mike T.
    Plm Bch, FL

-Mike

Owner - Mike`s Car Wash & Detail

A New Standard of Excellence.

"Invest in a company that you know can be run by an idiot...because soon enough, it will be." ~Peter Lynch

Post Thanks / Like
    I think it has to due with the viewer and not just the membership. Some members enjoy being outgoing and have a wide knowledge base. Some users like to just read and not post

I use to surf alot on e46fanatics.com. Usually I would just read the articles that had 10 or more replies. These threads had over 150+ views. I strongly doubt MANY members reply, there are always a select few who give their opinion / advice.

I think DC should just welcome everyone and promote the use of these smilies :hippi with posts

Remember we aren`t very big, but we still have great detailers here to help everyone out! :bye

Post Thanks / Like
    I jsut thougth of one other thing to. I have e-mail noticfaction so whne someone replys to a thread I can go and view it. That does not mean that I post again, but just have a look to see what the respopnce was. I`d bet that most of you do the same so there are quite a few hits with not replys!
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with everything written but especially the fact that lately a lot of the same questions are being asked over and over. Taking advantage of the search feature many times will get you an instant answer. Sometimes after I have replied to several threads I sit back and hope that people don`t think I am a "know it all" ... Like most everyone else here I am still learning too and many times I just read the questions and move on.
    It`s what you learn after you know it all that counts ... John Wooden

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by kimwallace
    I agree with everything written but especially the fact that lately a lot of the same questions are being asked over and over. Taking advantage of the search feature many times will get you an instant answer. Sometimes after I have replied to several threads I sit back and hope that people don`t think I am a "know it all" ... Like most everyone else here I am still learning too and many times I just read the questions and move on.
    Yes the search feature in virtually every forum I`m in it totally under-utilized...even just reading a few pages in each forum can provide so many answers. BUT.. KW don`t feel that way, answering questions sometime makes you keep thinking of how to answer questions in different ways....knowledge is good

Quote by Bemmerboy "I just thougth of one other thing to. I have e-mail notification so when someone replys to a thread I can go and view it. That does not mean that I post again, but just have a look to see what the respopnce was. I`d bet that most of you do the same so there are quite a few hits with not replys!"

Yes I often go back to a thread to see responses and follow up questions this also builds viewed #`s....
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like
    lol, Not enough responses.
    It sometimes seems to me that I try to answer too often.
    If a question has been there for a day or two without an answer, I try to at least let that person know that they aren`t being ignored.
    Lots of times, I don`t reply because I just simply don`t know. Other times I will wait for the more knowledgeable people to state the facts in a way that is easier to understand.
    Since I am not of an inquisitive nature, the "how does it do that" posts, I usually skip over. All I really care is "what do I do to make it work?" Kinda like the computer. It did it because I hit enter. (Sometimes when I shouldn`t have)

Charles

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Poorboy
    Yes the search feature in virtually every forum I`m in is totally under-utilized...even just reading a few pages in each forum can provide so many answers.
    Agreed, but one of the really nice things about DC is that someone tries to help as well as recommend searching.
    The way people are treated with respect here is great. (Even when I`m wrong)
    Hopefully, that never changes.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by CharlesW
    Agreed, but one of the really nice things about DC is that someone tries to help as well as recommend searching.
    The way people are treated with respect here is great. (Even when I`m wrong)
    Hopefully, that never changes.

Charles
    It won`t my friend.... that`s one of the benefits of a cool administrator that actually enjoys banning rude people.

It`s my way of making one small section of the world a better place. :naughty

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information