Post Thanks / Like

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome

Do any of you guys have CTS ? I have been reading about it because my right hand felt a bit numb, and it turns out that I have the symptoms at the early stages. It really does not bother me that much but I wanted to see if there was any thing that I could be doing to help the matter.

Just wonder if anyone else has and what you might be doing to help the matter.
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like
    Since my early years of playing guitar and playing video games for hours to my recent years of detailing my car and working long hours on the computer I have had CTS symptoms off and on.

In the 8th grade I suffered a "boxers fracture", that is when you beat someone up with a hard head and break the knuckle on your little finger. While undergoing therapy to regain my flexibilty after surgery I learned about CTS and how to avoid it becoming an issue involving surgery...

The way I cope with CTS is excersizes that concentrate on increasing bloodflow to the forearms and hands such as reverse barbell curls (grip aiming down), wrist curls (arms hanging down, bar behind the back) and plenty of biceps and triceps training.
    Once the muscles are warmed up and full of blood I then do long slow stetches to each forearm and even the fingers. This doesnt have to be a "bodybuilder" weightlifting session, just light to moderate weight. The important thing to be active and flexible.

Car Detailing Whore
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have not had any problems with it, but then again, I am only 17.
    http://tassadar.ezekial.net

Post Thanks / Like
    Tazz

Lets hope that you never do.

Dwayne

Thanks I`m big on stetching as I am an avid road bicyclist.

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like
    Yup, add me to the list of people with CTS. I was tested at the hospital a few years ago, and I am marginal. Any worse, and I will have to be operated on.

Try to avoid machines/power tools that really vibrate through the handle. In detailing, you can not get away from it. If you spend alot of time with buffers (over 13 years with the rotary for me) and other power tools, you will get it also. My dad was a mechanic for GM and just recently had the operation for CTS. Try and avoid tiny detailed work. Heck even tying flies for fly fishing can cause it.

Use a wrist brace to maximize blood flow. When the fingers start to tingle like mine are right now from just typing this, stop what you are doing, shake them out and give them a few days/weeks rest.

Sorry, I know that most of these suggestions are not possible when you detail for a living (I do not but still have CTS from detailing and automotive electronics part time).

Take care,
    Tim

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks
    I was thinking about getting brace one that you could still work with. Its really not that bad only slight but you need to nip these in the butt early on

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like
    You`re right! I wish I would have!

Tim

Post Thanks / Like
    I know a thing or two about Carpal tunnel so maybe I can be of some help.

Carpal tunnel syndrome is the impingement of the median nerve as it passes through the carpal tunnel in the wrist. The symptoms are numbness and tingling in the thumb, index, and middle finger. Muscle weakness in these digits can also happen, weakening your overall grip strength. The problem is caused and irritated by repetitive motion in your wrist. Diagnosis is by EMG (electromyograph) studies showing reduction in nerve conduction in the median nerve. Two simple tests to check for carpal tunnel include bending the wrist at 90 degrees and putting pressure on it (it should reproduce your symptoms) and tapping on the underside of your wrist in the middle (electric shocks should shoot to your fingertips if you have CTS). Treatment includes anti-imflammatory drugs like ibuprofen (motrin, advil), naproxen (aleve), and some stronger prescription meds like vioxx, celebrex, and bextra. These medicines work if used before you do your activity and are pain free, not after you have irritated the injury and have active swelling (you will still get some relief). Wrist braces, rest, and ice all do wonders as well and are highly encouraged. The surgery is not a great option but to someone who is not getting any relief, it may be the only option they have. What they do is cut the flexor retinaculum in your wrist to relieve the pressure. You loose some hand mobility as a result and as with all surgery you risk infection, further damage, and failure to achieve pain relief.

Feel free to post or email me questions.
    -ROb
    Ask a question, be a fool for a minute. Don`t ask a question, be a fool forever.
    -Chinese Proverb

Post Thanks / Like
    Very informative post ROb - thanks!

I`ve had mild CTS for quite some time. When I was in my early twenties I worked in a foundry running a large handheld grinder for 10 hours a day. I did this for about a year. Also ran a buffer at a Ford Dealership, and in my own detailing business.
    Today, I still experience some pain/stiffness in the joints of my fingers. Sometimes the fingers are "locked" in the morning when I first wake up, and I have to run warm water on them to revive them.

Naproxen (Aleve) works for me to relieve the symptoms

Onthespot

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    wow I must be freak of nature, just line the Fuzz..lol...I have none of those symtoms after all these years....I`m over forty and have better than 20/20 vission too...

I did have a scare a couple years ago, hands lost all strength and so did shoulders...went to DR. after DR. ...after physical therapy, Occupational Therapy, and shots...one DR> figured out it was a side aeffect to Zocor(cholesterol) ..three days after stopping everything started to go back to normal and a month later I was as strong as I`d ever been....

Some times it`s not what we think it is...
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I have cts pretty bad. My arms go numb when I buff (buffing over 19 years now) a sharp pain in my arms wakes me up at night sometimes.

The doc says that an operation isnt really the way to go for me. He says to stop doing what caused it in the first place.

My plan is to hire employees.
    The second mouse gets the cheese!

Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t know if it`s CTS, but I get cramps in my hands after long detailing days. If I sleep in the wrong position, my arms/hands will be tingling when I wake up but there fine after I shake them for a few seconds. I guess it`s a blood flow thing...

Steve, I was taking Liptior for high cholesterol and I thought that was causing the cramps, but I guess the cramping is common in this business.
    Ringo

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes i believe cramps are very common due to holding a pad or machine too long...

I`ve heard that lipitor causes in some people lower joint problems like hips, knees and ankles ...the Zocor did all upper body joint stiffness and weakness...

picture having 1 1/2 lb babies and not being able to lift them and you`re a 200lb man..knew something was wrong...a doctor friend even asked afterwards if he could write it up for the AMA...
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Thread Information