Post Thanks / Like

Question new upp user w/questions

I just got my UPP and UPC. Very fast shipping, I ordered it on monday! I cannot wait to try it. I want to make sure I do everything right so I have a few questions for the platinum vets.

When using the cleaner I just do one section at a time, apply wipe off right?

With the UPP I apply to the whole car using a very thin layer, do you rub in thoroughly or like wax? Then let it set up for @ 1 hour?

I have used carnuba on my car forever, do you think I need to clay even though my paint passes the baggie test with ease?

I will be using foam pads for applying and MF for removal, I haven`t decided whether or not I am going to use the pc or apply by hand. Probably by hand, atleast that`s what I`m thinking right now. Thanks in advance for the help.

Strange name, ain't it? NattyBumppo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: new upp user w/questions

Originally posted by EBPcivicsi
    When using the cleaner I just do one section at a time, apply wipe off right?

With the UPP I apply to the whole car using a very thin layer, do you rub in thoroughly or like wax? Then let it set up for @ 1 hour?

I have used carnuba on my car forever, do you think I need to clay even though my paint passes the baggie test with ease?
    Yep, one panel wipe on, wipe off with the cleaner. Apply the UPP as you would your carnauba...light coats, little to no pressure. Wait 45 minutes - an hour and buff off.

If it passes the baggie test then I guess no need to clay. May want to double check the lower body panels and the roof, hood and trunk especially.

Good luck, I`m sure you`ll be thrilled with UPP. Be sure to post a pic!

Natty
    Natty
    ------------------------------------------------
    "Sorry Miss, I just decided I don`t do mini-vans"

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: new upp user w/questions

1. When using the cleaner I just do one section at a time, apply wipe off right?

2. With the UPP I apply to the whole car using a very thin layer, do you rub in thoroughly or like wax? Then let it set up for @ 1 hour?

3. do you think I need to clay even though my paint passes the baggie test with ease?

4. I will be using foam pads for applying and MF for removal, I haven`t decided whether or not I am going to use the pc or apply by hand. Probably by hand, atleast that`s what I`m thinking right now. Thanks in advance for the help.
    1. Since I have never used the Platinum Paint Cleaner, I have no first hand experience, but.... The instructions say:
    "Directions: Apply by hand, dual action polisher or by orbital buffer to a clean and dry surface. Spread Ultimate Paint Pre-Cleaner very thin. Allow to dry to a haze and remove residue with a high quality microfiber towel. Follow with a coat of Platinum Ultimate Paint Protection"
    The manufacturers instructions are always a good place to start.

2. Just wipe the UPP on very thin. Doesn`t need to be worked into the paint. An hour setup should be plenty.

3. The clay is probably not needed.

4. I use AIO for my cleaner and it and the UPP are so easy to do by hand, the PC seems like overkill. PPC is probably as easy to use as the AIO.

5. You are gonna love the look.:p

Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    "Directions: Apply by hand, dual action polisher or by orbital buffer to a clean and dry surface. Spread Ultimate Paint Pre-Cleaner very thin. Allow to dry to a haze and remove residue with a high quality microfiber towel. Follow with a coat of Platinum Ultimate Paint Protection"
    My bottle says"apply small amount on a clean terry cloth applicator and gently rub onto the surface using a circular motion. Work small areas at a time. Using a clean dry soft towel buff until all residue is gone."

That`s why I was wondering. Didn`t know if I should allow it to haze or just rub it in untill it is gone. I guess I will let dry to a haze.

Thanks for the info guys!

Post Thanks / Like
    A little UPP goes a long way. After you use the cleaner, the UPP should spread like butter. I think one of the most important things is to use micro-fiber towels. After using fine quality cotton for a long time, I can honestly say that there is just no comparison between high quality mf and cotton. MF just takes the cleaner and UPP off beautifully with no streaking. I think you really need MF to get the ultimate results.

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

My bottle says"apply small amount on a clean terry cloth applicator and gently rub onto the surface using a circular motion. Work small areas at a time. Using a clean dry soft towel buff until all residue is gone."

That`s why I was wondering. Didn`t know if I should allow it to haze or just rub it in untill it is gone. I guess I will let dry to a haze.

Thanks for the info guys!
    The "directions" I posted came from the 4 Star web-site. It would seem likely that the information on your just received bottle should be the most current. Possibly the web-site has not been updated to reflect the new directions.
    Dwayne will probably be along soon to clear this up.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, the product label will get you good results with the directions on the website being my recommended procedures, tips and tricks.

New labels in a few months will reflect my updated directions.

Post Thanks / Like
    So should I let it haze or rub until gone?

Post Thanks / Like
    Just let it haze and then wipe away.

No need to rub until it disappears.

Thread Information