Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    '
    Post Thanks / Like

hazy/foggy glass

I bought my daughter a 03 Mazda 25000 miles it came from a rental place in Texas. Got a good deal. Only one problem the windshield is cloudy if the sun is shinning on it just in a certain way. All other times it is clear. None of the other glass is that way. Other than replacing the windshield does anyone have any ideas? The service manager where I got it said he would have it buffed. For any ideas or input I would be thankful.

Sammy Castagna

Post Thanks / Like
    Have you tried Isopropyl Alcohol on a cotton ball? I`m wondering if you have a film that developed on there, maybe a previous smokers car?

Try the alcohol, then follow up with a good window cleaner. Microfiber is the best in this situation. I have also been using Adam`s Polishes Brilliance Hand Glaze on the interior glass. This helps out huge in a smokers car because the residue cannot "stick" to it. Leaves everything crystal clear too.

Let us know how it works out.
    Nick Carberry
    ~Detailing high-end cars with quality products~

Post Thanks / Like
    My Grand Cherokee had the same problem. Hazing from vinyl off-gassing. Very annoying in certain sunlight and at night. I have had success with polishing the inside windshield with AIO. I applied it with a cotton cloth and then buffed it off with a MF. It has cleared up the problem. Give it a try.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Sam,

Great advice from my fellow Detail Citizens! I can only add that you determine if this "haze" in inside or outside. If inside you can follow the above advice already given.

If on the outside then you may need to have the glass buffed. You can determine this by positioning the car where you can see the film and then run a finger along the interior glass. If it smears the film or removes it then you know it`s in the inside and it can be cleaned off.

If not then it may be on the outside and you can try some extra fine #0000 steel wool and some chrome polish. Try a small area first to see how it works out.

Anthony
    "The Art & Science of Auto Detail"

Post Thanks / Like
    WAZ UP DC I agree with him . thats the only way i do it. C-YA

'
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the ideas. I will let you know how I come out.

Sammy Castagna

Post Thanks / Like

Re: hazy/foggy glass

Originally posted by sammycastagna
    Only one problem the windshield is cloudy if the sun is shinning on it just in a certain way. All other times it is clear. None of the other glass is that way. Other than replacing the windshield does anyone have any ideas?
    Since none of the other glass has this condition, what you may have is a low grade replacement windshield.

If none of the other cleaning methods work, you may want to check in with a professional auto glass shop to see what they think is causing the cloudy condition.

Chadwick's Auto Detailing membim's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    You may want to try a glass polish like the one`s Detailer`s Pride sells.

'
    Post Thanks / Like
    The windshields brand name appears to be Nippon. Yesterday I rubbed and rubbed with 26% amonia and 56% acetic acid. It appears to be a lot better. But when I got off today I got some Mothers Chrome Polish it says good for miors and glass and some 0000 wool. The sun was already too low to work so I am going to work on it the next sunny day I have time.

Sammy Castagna

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a similar problem on the outside of all the glass on my mustang, and I know it`s not cheap replacement glass, as I bought the car new in November of `02. Only thing I can think of is I used to use adam`s Brilliance on it, when I stopped using it is when the problem started, and no glass cleaner I`ve tried can clear it up. I also scrathed the small test section that I tried steel wool on and now I`ve got minute swirls in my glass Any ideas? BTW, sorry for the thread hijack.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey gbackus,

huuuuuuummm....I have not ran into that problem before on the Brilliance, but that is interesting. Being a glaze, it really does not last that long. I would suggest a mild/medium polish, and with a PC if that is available.
    Nick Carberry
    ~Detailing high-end cars with quality products~

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a PC, ssr2, ssr1, and pro polish. I`m a little hesitant to go at it though, as I`ve already scratched my glass with the steel wool

I really don`t know what the problem is, but it bugs the hell out of me.

'
    Post Thanks / Like
    gbackus,
    Did you use the 0000 wool?

Sammy

Post Thanks / Like
    I am rather puzzled here also as I have many times in the past used the #0000 steel wool and have never scratched glass, or chrome that I have used it on.

It may be possible that it was a more aggressive steel wool. Try a chrome polish on a PC polishing pad and work it until almost all gone.

Anthony
    "The Art & Science of Auto Detail"

Post Thanks / Like
    It was #0000 steel wool, and the worst part was, I still had that film/haze left on my glass.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information