Mothers Wax Forum

Go Back   Wax Forum > Paint Care

Paint Care Ask questions, seek advice, and share techniques about exterior paint care.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools     Search this Thread     Display Modes  
Old 12-06-2005

Default Will wax protection last longer with several coats?

Will wax protection last longer if you wax more frequently?

I have read one should wax about every 3 months.

Will the wax protection last longer if I put 10 coats of wax on the car. Forinstance will it last 6 months if I do that?

Does the wax protection build up and last longer or am I wasting my time?

Thanks
Old 12-06-2005

Default Re: Will wax protection last longer with several coats?

I think 10 coats is to much. I think that only so much wax will stick and the rest is rubbed off. If it did stick I think that the paint would look dull . White would look dirty and black would look gray.
Old 12-06-2005

Thanks,

The question I am looking for an answer to is - will multiple coats close togther last longer than the usaual 3 months.
Old 12-06-2005
Administrator

With any product, there are marginal returns for each additional application done at the same time. We generally see it max out at two applications.
Old 12-06-2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin
With any product, there are marginal returns for each additional application done at the same time. We generally see it max out at two applications.
Could you be a tad more specific. Will several coats applied over a few weeks last longer than 3 months.

Thanks
Old 12-06-2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvc15_2000
Could you be a tad more specific. Will several coats applied over a few weeks last longer than 3 months.

Thanks
Well in my opinion 2 coats per application will work wonders, and last you three months easy..Depending on your colour of your car, for instance if your car is black or dark gray, use a glaze finish, lighter cars use a good straight wax..If you use a polish/wax combo your likely to loose the life of your finish because the product is doing the job of two steps. and for anyone interested any metalic finish thats not looked after( like regular wash & wax) and is let to fade..Is pretty much done, when the metalic flake fades the only way to bring back your finish is a new paint job....
Old 12-07-2005

I have never found 1 coat of carnauba to last more than one and a half months. Part of the problem with layering a carnauba is that the carrier solvents within the wax can take off some of the previous layer, so "spit shining" is one way to aviod it (search it, I'm not so sure of the exact process myself). Also, as the admin said, most carnaubas have a point of diminishing returns--I would bet that several coats over a few weeks could make it to 3 months, but probably not past it. You're probably also better off putting down a layer of synthetic sealant (FX Synwax) and then topping with a couple of coats of carnauba (Phase 3 or TopCoat) spaced over a couple of weeks.
Old 12-07-2005

I personally have made it a choice not to use carnuba wax, it looks great for a short time.If the vehicle sits alot in the sun, that time is even shortened. I personally like either glazes or hard shell waxes, they look great, last alot longer.Your idea of a synthetic sealer sounds good, I'll have to try that.(thanks for the tip)
Old 12-07-2005

No prob. Yeah, carnaubas have low melting temps, synthetic sealers are known for having high ones, which is why they typically last longer. I'm not sure what you mean by typically using "glazes" and "hard shell waxes". If by "hard shell waxes" you mean Turtle Wax, well then I have to tell you that it is completely carnauba-based. And most "glazes", like Mothers Stage 2, last a week at best (unless covered by a wax). However, I do know of other products called glazes that aren't glazes in the traditional sense of the term. And remember, if you plan to get a synthetic sealant like FX Synwax, make sure NOT to use any glaze under it--it needs a clean surface to bond to.
Old 12-08-2005

I get 3 months of protection out of FX Synwax easy, with just one coat, and my vehicles are outside during the day and garaged at night. Two coats applied close together should protect your vehicle for 3 months.

You have to understand how long a wax will protect your vehicle will depend on several factors - such as the environment your vehicle is in, your surface prep, the wax itself, etc. So, you personal results may vary.

Applying more than two coats of any wax in my experience, is a waste of time and product. If I were you, I would apply two coats of FX, and then use the FX spray wax between waxes and after washes. You should be fine for three months with this combo.
Old 12-08-2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama
If I were you, I would apply two coats of FX, and then use the FX spray wax between waxes and after washes. You should be fine for three months with this combo.
So I assume that the cleaners in FX Synwax are mild enough that they won't take off the first coat? Oh, and if you do apply 2 coats of Synwax, WAIT 24 HOURS between coats.
Old 12-09-2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherman8r44
So I assume that the cleaners in FX Synwax are mild enough that they won't take off the first coat? Oh, and if you do apply 2 coats of Synwax, WAIT 24 HOURS between coats.
I would say that the second coat will probably remove a "some" of the first coat. How much is hard to say, and would depend on a lot of variables? (application and removal method and tools) The second coat would be more for complete coverage.

Last edited by Detail Guy; 12-10-2005 at 06:49 AM.
Old 12-24-2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvc15_2000

1. Will wax protection last longer if you wax more frequently?

2. I have read one should wax about every 3 months.

3. Does the wax protection build up and last longer or am I wasting my time?

Thanks

1. As a general reply, yes. If you wax once a month, that coat of wax is likely going to be still be there 30 days later. If, however, you were to check the car 90 days later, it's likely that the car would be ready for a new coat of wax. As others have noted, a good synthetic wax will usually outlast a natural carnauba wax.

2. How often one should wax depends on a number of things, most of them personal to your needs, desires, and how much time you have to devote to washing, polishing and waxing your car. And, what type of wax you're using -- synthetic or carnauba. Every 3 months, is a good rule of thumb. If time permitted, every other month, that is, every 60 days would be fine too. Many car detailing enthusiasts wax every other month.

A lot depends on whether or not your car is garaged -- at night and or in the day? Is it out in the hot sun and exposed to a lot chemicals, such as in or near a large city? Does it rain a lot, or snow often? Is there salt on the road often? How often do you plan to wash the car? Will you wash it yourself, or take it to a commercial car wash? (Too many washes with strong soap may strip wax prematurely) Will you use an "Instant Detailer" or spray wax product in between wax jobs? Do you enjoy waxing your car -- is it fun and therapuetic for you, or is it a pain, requiring physical therapy for your back if you overdo it?

3. As others have mentioned, after about 2 coats of a good wax you are covered, and anything more may bring diminishing returns.

Using an instant detailer like Showtime might be the in between 'reinforcement' you have in mind. I think that Showtime detailer is a superlative product! The best of the detailers on the market, IMO. Also, I have just now started using the new Mother's FX Engineered Spray Wax - Extreme High Gloss Express Detailer over my P21 carnuaba wax (two coats only) and I really like the shine and lubricity I am getting. This FX product will indeed add some additional protective wax, though I believe it is designed to be used frequently and thus not build up or dull your finish.

I also like carnuaba wax over a synthetic, such as 3M Perfect-It Show Car Glaze. That way you get shine, warmth, and depth, with durability and lasting protection.

By the way, good prep work makes for a great wax job. Using a paint cleaner first, followed by a sealer/glaze, will allow your final coat of carnauba or synthetic wax to really shine. All the coats of wax in the world will not make up for a dirty, contaminated paint finish underneath.

I would suggest that you spend the extra time you would have devoted to the extra 8 coats of wax to doing the prep work prior to the final 2 coats of wax. I think that you'll be very happy with the outcome.

Last edited by Legendman; 01-28-2006 at 12:46 AM.
Closed Thread