Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Wherever there is a mullet... I'll be there.
    Post Thanks / Like

I`m horrified!!!!

Have you read the newest issue of Rolling Stone??? It has the top guitarists of all time list in it. Of course we have people like Hedrix high on the list. Guess where Eddie Van Halen landed???? GUESS!!! HE WAS F`n 70th!!! 70th????? MR. VAN FREAKIN HALEN WAS NUMBER 70??? WHAT KIND OF A RIGGED LIST WAS THAT??? You should check it out. Its ridiculous!!! Kurt Cobain scored higher than Van Halen did. What a screwed up world when Nirvana is heavier than Van Halen. I`m so depressed..... :rockin :bass

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmmmm, I always thought Eddie Van Halen was the baddest guitarist ever when I rocked out in high school in the late eighties.

Eruption revolutionized the way rockers played guitar.

Post Thanks / Like
    Tell me about it! Eddie is the bomb!! Hendrix could have learned a few things from him I think.

I pulled this off the web:

Late rock musicians Jimi Hendrix and Duane Allman lead the list of the 100 greatest guitarists of all time in the upcoming issue of Rolling Stone magazine.

Hendrix, who invariably tops such polls, received a glowing tribute from Who guitarist Pete Townshend , who wrote that he "made the electric guitar beautiful."

Townshend recalled that one of Hendrix`s shows was "so profoundly powerful" that he found himself holding hands with fellow devotee and guitarist Eric Clapton .

Allman was hailed by the magazine for transforming "the poetry of jamming" with the Allman Brothers Band, the Atlanta rock group he founded with younger brother Gregg in 1969.

B.B. King, who turns 78 next month, came in at No. 3. "His string-bending and vibrato made his famous guitar, Lucille, weep like a woman," the magazine said.

Clapton landed at No. 4, followed by Delta bluesman Robert Johnson. Rounding out the top 10 were Chuck Berry, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Ry Cooder, Jimmy Page and Keith Richards .

The survey is featured in the next issue, which hits streets on Friday.

The No. 100 spot went to Kim Thayil of defunct Seattle rock band Soundgarden. Townshend himself was No. 50. Two women made the list: Joni Mitchell at No. 72 and Joan Jett at No. 87.

Stax session guitarist Steve Cropper, who was judged the No. 2 guitarist in a Mojo magazine survey in 1996, was good enough for only No. 36 in Rolling Stone`s estimation. Two spots behind him was Fleetwood Mac`s Peter Green, who had been No. 3 on the Mojo list.

Its just wrong, man..... Wrong all over the place.

Post Thanks / Like
    Who am I kidding? this is a magazine that had the Olsen twins on the cover not long ago. Yeah, the olsen twins are real rock and roll. Give me a break. I`m going to go crank some Van Halen now and drown my sorrows.... :headbang :mohawk

Post Thanks / Like
    OK.... Sammy or Diamond Dave?

Boss_429
    Fuzz,

Eddie is one of the best............ but better than "Jimmie".......... I don`t know about that. I saw Hendrix at WoodStock (yes WoodStock), and he was incredible! :mohawk

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m a huge Sammy fan. Diamond Dave is just the blond woman who destroyed Van Halen. Although I do have to admit that I won`t change the station if Dave is singing. He drives me nuts but its still Van Halen. He was a great performer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hendrix would have been awesome live I`m sure, and especially at Woodstock. He was creative and played upside down and backwords!

I think Eddie started a whole different breed of musicians with a high level of speed and virtuosity.

Post Thanks / Like
    Van Hagar! 5150 and 0U812 were must haves in my `````in 82 Firebird!

Post Thanks / Like
    "I can`t drive 55!" is going to be played at my funeral. I put that in my will. LOL Seriously. I`m going to die in a firey auto crash someday and I want Sammy there when I get my send off. :mohawk :rockin

Post Thanks / Like
    Take this, Rolling Stone!!! :beat
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey, I`m also a big VH fan! Can`t believe the RS list. Radiostations in my area slammed the list a couple days ago. I wonder what their methodology was? Apparently flawed, regardless....

My kids don`t know individual song titles, but they can pick out Eddie`s guitar when a VH song comes on! I`ll have them good n warped by the time the gradaute high school.
    2000 Silverado Ext Cab Z71
    Lt Pewter

almost time to tailgate tacscar-tim's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    what a load of crrrraaaaappppp... i liked nirvana and all but as a guitarist... cobain better than eddie?!?!?!? i know that there`s no way a list can be the same for everyone but come on. :rockin

best guitarist i`ve seen live (rock show that is) was stevie ray. jeff beck opened up for him... now that was a show.

best guitarist i`ve ever seen is a dude named tommy emmanuel. if your into music at all, check this guy out. http://www.tommyemmanuel.com/tommy.htm

Strange name, ain't it? NattyBumppo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    WOW! The Boss man at Woodstock? I can just picture him with cotton terry in hand and a can of Blue Coral paste wax while Jimmi jammed out playing the Star Spangled Banner :band .

No way, no how is Curt Cobain deserving of being higher on the list of guitarists than Eddie VH. Like the Fuzz said, Eddie is a virtuoso guitarist. I have a feeling their results were from some poll answered by mostly generation X`ers.

Now Eddie over Jimmi, I don`t know about that. Two different styles IMO. Each at the top of their respective brackets.

DIAMOND DAVE OVER THE SCREAMER SAMMY ANYDAY! I felt like the end of VH was when Diamond Dave got das boot and the screamer, Sammy, took over. I really don`t care for Sammy`s voice or style. Dave may not have the most operetic voice but it was very distinctive and his syle of delivery was unmatched. All Hagar does os scream at the top of his lungs looking like he`s gonna cough up his diaphram at any moment.

Oh yea baby, VH with Diamond Dave singin` Bottoms Up or Ice Cream Man were always playing in my `````in` 69 Mach 1 and 68 Torino GT.
    Natty
    ------------------------------------------------
    "Sorry Miss, I just decided I don`t do mini-vans"

Strange name, ain't it? NattyBumppo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Now I`m really ticked off. I just took a look at the now infamous list.

Do you believe they have Chuck Berry at #6 ahead of Stevie Ray Vaughan? Chuck Berry AND Bo Diddley, neither of whom could even read music, are both ahead of Les Paul, Eddie Van Halen, Joe Perry, Steve Howe from Yes and David Gilmour from Floyd! Alex Lifeson from RUSH didn`t even make the list !

Either the people over at Rolling Stone magazine are really "stoned" or the results were based on some poll consisting of all gen x`ers who don`t know their arse from their elbows!

The list is abosutely worthless.
    Natty
    ------------------------------------------------
    "Sorry Miss, I just decided I don`t do mini-vans"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information