Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My 1st Paid Job

Post Thanks / Like

My 1st Paid Job

Well, I`m going to be doing my 1st paid job on a 2002 Chevy Tahoe. I`m going to do the following to it. Wash, Polish w/ #7 Megs and Wax w/ 26 Megs... Then do the chrome and wheels for $50 bucks. Plan on using an OB

Anyone have any tips for me?

thanks,

James

Car Detailing Whore
    Post Thanks / Like
    I did my first real job since I started up today as well.

My advice is that the #7 may not be neccesary, I would seriously look into #9 if I were you.
    http://tassadar.ezekial.net

Post Thanks / Like
    James,

I may of read your post wrong but if you are going to do all that for $50 then that`s what I would change!

More like a $100

Anthony
    "The Art & Science of Auto Detail"

Car Detailing Whore
    Post Thanks / Like
    For a job like that I charge $100, and make sure those people know just how much work a job like that takes.

The last job I ddi when the guy showed up at 10:30 PM and I was still working with a big yellow floodlight for lighting, he qas very impressed. They appreciate seeing their money go to work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeap! I don`t charge less than € 125.00 ($ 142USD) for a job like that.
    Portuguese details detalhe.net

Car Detailing Whore
    Post Thanks / Like
    Heck after the ammount of work that the Explorer Sport took the other day, I am considering raising the price of my best detail from $100 to $150.

Post Thanks / Like
    100 bucks for a few hrs. isn`t bad at all.

I have a car i`m doing soon, I`ll charge around that for it.

Post Thanks / Like
    James if you do a job very cheap make sure you let them know this is a one-time special deal, otherwise when there friends and neighbors see the car and want the $50 special what are you going to do, be stuck doing too much work for $50. I would explain that you need to take some pictures to establish your business and let others know the quality that you do and for this you will do the detail for the special price.

I have done cheaper jobs only to have those people continue to want to pay hardly anything to work on there cars.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, Got guys at the Country Club wanting their cars done... This is good.

Strange name, ain't it? NattyBumppo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Like Anthony said...first thing I would change is the price. Tha borders on ridiculous given the size of the vehicle. Also, if the truck has any imperfections #7 won`t touch them. May need to start with something that is mildly abrasive then follow up with #26. But if you stick to your price then a wash and coat of #26 is fine.

Good luck!

Natty
    Natty
    ------------------------------------------------
    "Sorry Miss, I just decided I don`t do mini-vans"

Post Thanks / Like
    For that price I would wash and dry it and dress the tires. For $80 I would break out the cleaner wax.

Post Thanks / Like
    I remember my first paid detail a 1956 Mercury 2 dr. coral and white. hand rub the paint followed by 2 coats of paste wax. 16 years ago seems like yesterday how times have changed and the products have improved even more

Post Thanks / Like
    Alright.

I`m going to need to do a price list.
    I seriously think that once I do this car for a guy @ the country club, I`m going to have some serious clientel(sp)

This is what I am able/willing to do as of now:

Polishing, Waxing, Washing(of course), Wheel cleaning and dressing

I can`t shampoo carpet, I can do plastic on the inside(door pannels and such)

How should I package this together? So that I can sell it in parts?

Like $35 for a wash/wax or such.

Just give me some help on this to get me started,

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    I think that you will find many answers and opinions on the pricing. I remember a few months back it was discussed that charging $40 per hour would allow you to make up for the cars that take longer and benefit from the ones that are in good condition. I personally do not like to dowork when all they want is some cleaner wax and shiny tires. I feel that someone may see it and think that I do not know what I am doing. Therefore, if they do not let me detail the way I want, I just do not do it. If I was doing this full time of course, I would probably take their business. Remember that the labor is the inexpensive part, the knowledge is what is invaluable; Charge what you`re worth.

Post Thanks / Like
    My package for wash and wax is $40, usually takes me a little over an hour. My full external detail (clay, cleaning, polishing, waxing, etc.) is $100, depending on the condition I can do it in 2 1/2 to 3 hrs. My full interior/external detail is $150. SUVs/Trucks/Vans I charge slightly more and before starting the job I go over the car with the owner see what they are expecting and what areas they are picky about. If there is paint damage I will add more money on.

I don`t have any problem doing a wax and wash, I generally use something like AIO or Mothers Cleaner Wax and have good results especially with a PC. Also I try to explain to the customer that I can easily add a polish which will clean and polish the paint. This is a good way to make a little more money from a basic wash and wax. If the car is oxidized or swirled I will use something like SFP or AIO and then follow up with a wax.

Carpet shampoo, you can get something like the Prestone carpet cleaner which comes in an aeresol can and a carpet brush attached. This is a cheap easy solution to work on carpets.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information