Post Thanks / Like

Dealerships are clueless

This morning I had to take my car in for a check up at my Lexus dealership. I meet with the service rep and explain to her not to wash the car. Here is her response. "just so you know there is no charge for that" I respond "yeah I know I just would prefer them not to do it" she "why wouldn`t you take advantage of that, I never had anyone not want it" I explain that I take care of my car and would rather not risk any scratches or swirls. She resonds "are you serious how could they scratch your car with a wash?" I humbly tell her that my car was just detailed and could you please just not wash it.

I am sure you guys also have people think you are crazy with requests that to all of us are just second nature.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was given the same excuses when telling the service writer not have the valet`s wash my car. This happened to be in the middle of winter and was also informed that my car will rust if the salt and dirt is left on the car overnight. I stated again I did not want my car washed. The valet`s did not wash my car. This was not a result of me telling them not to wash my car, rather because the other service rep came in. The other rep does not care for due to a prior incident.

Good thing they listened, because the dealer a has tunnel car wash, and that day, one "detailer" quit because he damage a new q45 taking it through the car wash. Ripped power antenae off the car.

99.9% of the people do not care who washes or how their car is washed. Also, most people love getting something for nothing.

Eric
    Have you AIO`d today?
    Done, or Done right? You decide.
    Score early, Score often.
    You can not win from the penalty box.
    You can not score from the penalty box.

Car Detailing Whore
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you ever get a chance, see their "washing bays". One of the dealerships here in Oklahoma litterally mixes up a car wash and uses that same bucket, for every car, all day long. Their cloths are never washed, towels are never washed. They even offer q "Qwik Shine" which is a QD job, except they use the same towel from car to car, and they use the towel on the wheels as well as the paint.

I hate how 99.9% of dealerships treat cars.
    http://tassadar.ezekial.net

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a new Audi A4 and I specifically instructed the dealer not to prep the car. Luckily they complied or they would have lost the sale. The result? Beautiful 100% swirl free brillant black finish. I took the car home and prepped it myself. When I go in for first servicing I will make it absolutely clear the car is not to be washed or detailed in any way. I will also fully detail the car prior to bringing it in to stress the point. Luckily my sales rep understands where I`m coming from and seems happy to accomodate me.

Keep those cars away from dealer washes at any cost!
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    the Lexus dealership isn`t too bad, I just don`t trust anyone. They offer a $135 outside detail, includes a polish and wax, tires dressed, wheels cleaned.

Post Thanks / Like
    This sound so fimilar they always insist on washing my car. Infact they did like 5 times until I finally went back there with them watched them perform the service and not take it thru the wash. I dont know why they insist on haveing your car washed my car was really clean to.
    www.exotiXboard.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, I work at a Mazda dealership, and OMG these "detailers" are IDIOTS. Just a bunch of 17 yearl old punks who think they know everything. Yes, the same wash bucket and mitts and towels are used all day long. There is not one MF towel in the whole place, just a bunch of ripped up cloth towels. They seriously know absolutely nothing. And if that isn`t enough, every used car that comes in has to get buffed whether it needs it or not before it goes out on the used car lot. Well the guy that buffs puts more swirls in the car then when it came in. Just terrible...

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah some dealers do a good job they use Meguiars Detailer Products and fairly knowledgable about the rotary and such and the Used Cars usally look pretty good after there done but some just destroy the paint on cars.
    www.exotiXboard.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I see this almost everyday, they just have no idea and don`t care. I just got a digital camera and plan on taking some pics while I am out "in the feild." You will not believe some of the things I have seen. Just a quick one, rotary, wool pad DOWN on concrete floor, picked up and continued to buff:bigscream

Post Thanks / Like
    Have I got a few horror stories for you guys:bigscream

When I used to be a out of house detailer for the Volvo Porsche dealer here I was shocked and real angry as I saw the 2 detail guys they had just throw the wash mitt on the ground after a wash was done and then picked up and used on the next car!!

No wash buckets used just rinsed down and washed, no soap either.

Chamois was the same way. On the floor after each car. Oh sure they tried to hang them up but if the first try didn`t hang them they could care less.

What really ticked me off was their "spit N shine" window cleaning. They literally SPIT on the windows and then laughed about it:angry

One reason why dealers INSIST on cleaning your car is that they don`t want dirty cars leaving their lot because they feel that is a bad reflection on them. Second is most dealers are freaking clueless about detail work but yet they have the mentality that "No one can care for your car like the dealership so we should also wash and detail it for you!"

I advise ALL my clients when they purchase a new car to tell the dealer......no ORDER the dealer NOT to touch the car, don`t even clean or touch a window! Most of them listen if told with enough force and meaning.

Anthony
    "The Art & Science of Auto Detail"

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Anthony Orosco
    Have I got a few horror stories for you guys:bigscream

When I used to be a out of house detailer for the Volvo Porsche dealer here I was shocked and real angry as I saw the 2 detail guys they had just throw the wash mitt on the ground after a wash was done and then picked up and used on the next car!!

No wash buckets used just rinsed down and washed, no soap either.

Chamois was the same way. On the floor after each car. Oh sure they tried to hang them up but if the first try didn`t hang them they could care less.

What really ticked me off was their "spit N shine" window cleaning. They literally SPIT on the windows and then laughed about it:angry

One reason why dealers INSIST on cleaning your car is that they don`t want dirty cars leaving their lot because they feel that is a bad reflection on them. Second is most dealers are freaking clueless about detail work but yet they have the mentality that "No one can care for your car like the dealership so we should also wash and detail it for you!"

I advise ALL my clients when they purchase a new car to tell the dealer......no ORDER the dealer NOT to touch the car, don`t even clean or touch a window! Most of them listen if told with enough force and meaning.

Anthony
    Thats scary to know I seen some dealers From Chevy to Mercedes that have pretty good Detail crews. But I seen the dealers where they just have the mechanic run it thru the wash and shine up the tires on the new cars cause they dont have a real detail section stall with products thats usally the cheap small dealers. Most of the Bigger Dealers have the wash stations and use good quality products.
    www.exotiXboard.com

Post Thanks / Like

Dealership wash

This is a common practice at Lexus, however, my WO all have a statement added.

At my Lexus dealership, it is in plain back-and-white:

"CUSTOMER REQUEST: DO NOT WASH CAR, OR QD"

This is printed on every workorder at the Lexus dealer I use.

They always comment on how well it looks, what I used etc.

In fact, they have adopted "white gloves" when they work on the car and have now used the "white gloves" on all cars. These are the disposable cotton gloves. No fingerprints on my car at all!

Regards,
    Deanski
    DR SHINE
    Swanky Shine (tm)
    What`s in YOUR garage? 997 Carrera S.

Thread Information