Mothers Wax Forum

Go Back   Wax Forum > Paint Care

Paint Care Ask questions, seek advice, and share techniques about exterior paint care.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools     Search this Thread     Display Modes  
Old 05-05-2018
Registered User II

Default Claybar With 3 Step System

It's always family who see your car and then say the expected, "Say, could you do that for my car too."

I still get it now, and our car is 14 years old, and still looks in (probably even better than) showroom condition.

And here, to get them to chip in and help, you have something going in your favour. You can tell them of the relative merits of all the different types of product you use, you know, blah blah blah, and for years now, they have had a basic idea about polishes and waxes etc, so telling them all that is something they already have a basic idea about, so while all good, is probably a little pointless really.

However, there's one little secret you have that virtually no one knows.

Clay.

You know that they've never used it on their own cars, so that's why telling them about clay is so effective, because it's something new for them.

Don't tell them. Show them, and it works every time.

You can do the baggy thing, or even get them to gently run their fingertips across the paintwork on your own car, and then on theirs, and the difference between your smooth, and their not so smooth is a good indicator.

But try this little trick.

Have one of those 'lovely' Mothers microfibre cloths with you, you know, the double sided one, one side normal and the other side fluffy.

Rest the fluffy side on the paint of your own bonnet, and with your fingeretips, flick it in a circular motion across the surface. The cloth slides easily away across the bonnet.

Now, try the same thing on their bonnet. It won't move.

Now get them to do the process on your car to see it for themselves and then again on their own car.

Right there, they now want to know how that is done.

Then explain the clay process to them, and THAT is what is interesting for them, because it's new, and now that they've see the demo, there's that intrigue factor.

Start them off easy after the clay, and I usually get them started with the Carnauba Cleaner Wax, a one step product. Do it with them that first time through, and as you go, explain why.

I've been pretty lucky here, because they always seem to supply the beer.

The biggest surprise comes at the end when they find that it hasn't taken as long as they thought it would take. That's the joys of modern, user friendly consumer products, designed for the ordinary person, because when they see my car, the assumption is that it takes me a helluva lot of time with products that are probably top secret, requiring expert knowledge on their use, and none of that is true at all.

Of course, I'm lucky here. All the cars I've worked on have been 'compacts' I think they're called in the U.S. Corolla sized cars. Thank heavens we don't get Chevy Suburbans here in Oz. I'm not sure I could manage one of those.
Old 05-06-2018

Default Re: Claybar With 3 Step System

I've shown some people the difference between freshly cleaned paint and freshly cleaned paint after clay. They're amazed by how smooth the clayed paint is.

You're lucky you have a compact car that you can fully detail inside and out within a day. I gotta spread the work out over a few days on my bigger family-haulers.
Old 05-07-2018

Claying does make a huge difference. The difference in slickness is quite dramatic between a clayed and non-clayed surface, not only that, cleaners, glazes, waxes, become much easier to work with (easier application and removal), durability is very much improved. There also seems to be a bit more "glow" with a waxed surface that's been clayed vs. no clay. Maybe it's psychological, but the paint seems to have a different look to it.
Old 05-13-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffboy View Post
There also seems to be a bit more "glow" with a waxed surface that's been clayed vs. no clay. Maybe it's psychological, but the paint seems to have a different look to it.
Hello again, ffboy. Yes, paint looks better even after just a claybar, after all, contaminants are being removed. Also, the detail spray/lube also adds some gloss/shine.
Closed Thread