Mothers Wax Forum

Go Back   Wax Forum > Paint Care

Paint Care Ask questions, seek advice, and share techniques about exterior paint care.

Closed Thread
 Page 1 of 2   1   2 >

Thread Tools     Search this Thread     Display Modes  
Old 11-03-2007

Default Mothers Waffle Weave Towel Review

I finally got a chance to use the often discussed and touted Mothers' unique waffle weave towel with the foam core. I have been searching for a better drying towel.

I have used Meg Water Magnets, the Absorber, and large yellow Viking drying towel. My current process is is blot using Absorber and then do a drying wipe dry with Microfiber to remove what the Absorber leaves behind.

The Viking drying towel (really just an oversize detailing towel) came close but once wet it was heavy so it becomes ungainly and stopped absorbing well. It could not be wrung dry. It could not handle an entire mid-size car. When drying the sides, it took extra effort due to its size and weight to keep from touching the ground.

The Mothers WW towel measures 20x24-inch and is less flexible than a standard towel since it has the foam interior so it always is more or less rectangular. The microfiber top is very soft. The directions tell you place on paint and then pick up one edge by the corner and slowly pull across the surface to dry.

Conclusion: This is clearly a notch above anything I have used to date. I was able to dry an entire vehicle without having to use a second finishing towel. It absorption is almost as good as the Absorber but does not drag/stick to the paint like the Absorber which is why I only blotted with the Absorber.

It also never seemed to feel too heavy and ungainly due to the foam core. It was easy to place on the paint (not bunching up like a typical wet towel does). This also helped drying sides since it retained its rectangular shape so it was less likely to sag and touch the ground. It would leave some moisture behind but it was so fine it would evaporate quickly. I used the recommended drag method as well as blotting. The drag method worked best and slid nicely unlike any other towel.

Interestingly, despite absorbing all the water, I could not wring out that much water from it but apparently enough so that it continued to work to finish the car.

If you are looking for a nice drying towel, this could be it.
Old 11-03-2007

Default Re: Mothers Waffle Weave Towel Review

Good review, good information, thanks.

kbshadow
stockton ca.
Old 11-03-2007

Thanks for the review!

I'm looking forward to try that towel.
Old 11-11-2007

Calling MOMSPH, is this available in our country?
Old 11-13-2007

Gentlemen.
For the last 8 weeks or so I have been experimenting with washing the car on a limited basis with firstly QEW and then the Mothers in a spray bottle.
As effective as these methods have been, there are limitations, and I mentioned them during my earlier review.
One of those limitations recently manifested itself to a degree where a ‘spray bottle’ wash would have done the job, but not the full job.
We’ve had reasonable rain, and I’m convinced now that a flood of ‘Noah’ proportions, 40 days and nights of blindingly solid rain would not cause our ‘political masters’ to bat an eyelid in their mantra of restricting water supply to the public.
The rain however made driving a novel experience as it has become such a rare thing to drive in blinding rain.
Although the car could have been cleaned with the spray bottle method, the wheel wells would still have been quite dirty, and not wanting this residue to harden onto the surface there, I ran the car through the water only car wash, because the strong water spray from below will loosen any dirt there in the wells.
This gave me my first chance to use my recently acquired Drying towels, and after having read Al’s excellent review, I was looking forward to it.
All that Al said was confirmed and all I’m going to do is to add pictures and a little extra.

Al’s method of use is perfect. The thing that impressed me was the way the water seemingly vanished. I did the whole car, (admittedly only Corolla sized) and it actually seemed as if I could easily have continued with a second car. The fact it retained its shape without ‘scrunching up’ as Al mentioned was also impressive. I used it in conjunction with the waffle weave Wheel and Jamb towel which did all the inside door surrounds and the hatch surround at the rear of the car , and the small areas the larger towel would not go.

I previously used two full sized terry bath towels. When finished, one towel was saturated completely, and the second was damp through. When finished with this foam cored towel, I could not wring out a drop, so I just hung it over the back of the chair in the garage to allow the water to evaporate.

The only reason I’ve included photographs is that text of its use and a picture in the products tab don’t give much of an impression of the size.
The large foam cored drying towel is still full of the water from drying the car, and the Wheel and Jamb towel is a little dirty from areas in those surrounds where the car wash areas cannot clean as properly as a wash with a hose, a bucket and mitt can reach.

Remember when you look at the photographs I mentioned two full sized bath towels.

This towel makes everything else redundant. If you can get one then do so.
Attached Images

"Old man look at my life, I'm a lot like you were."------Neil Young.
Old 11-13-2007

Thanks Tony,

More great info! Sooner or later, I'm going to get a couple of these.

Just last week, when I placed an order at my favorite online detailing supply house, I attempted to order a couple of the WW Drying towels... "Temporarily out of stock"!

Then I tried to order a Brake Dust Brush "Temporarily out of stock"!

I was beginning to think that there really weren't any accessories... low and behold, they had the Wheel Brush!

At least I was able to get the Wheel Brush, and a new tin of CGC. I'll keep trying on the WW. These products are HARD to come by.

Thanks again to you and Al for a nice review.
Old 11-13-2007

I am ordering 2 more soon plus try out the jamb towels. You can always use a spare in case of accidents. One of the drying towels will be a Christmas gift.
Old 11-14-2007
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detail Guy View Post
Thanks Tony,

More great info! Sooner or later, I'm going to get a couple of these.

Just last week, when I placed an order at my favorite online detailing supply house, I attempted to order a couple of the WW Drying towels... "Temporarily out of stock"!

Then I tried to order a Brake Dust Brush "Temporarily out of stock"!

I was beginning to think that there really weren't any accessories... low and behold, they had the Wheel Brush!

At least I was able to get the Wheel Brush, and a new tin of CGC. I'll keep trying on the WW. These products are HARD to come by.

Thanks again to you and Al for a nice review.
We've got all accessories including the Drying Towel and the Brake Dust Brush in stock -- but hopefully your regular supplier will get them in soon.
Old 01-06-2009

I purchased a new Mothers Drying Towel and it is different from the previous ones I purchased last year.

This one looks and feels different. The surface seems to more checkerboard (ridges) rather than a lots of peaks and valleys and feels softer too.

The label says Made in China 80/20 blend. I had purchased this as a gift but now I curious to try it myself.
Old 01-06-2009
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by abnot View Post
I purchased a new Mothers Drying Towel and it is different from the previous ones I purchased last year.

This one looks and feels different. The surface seems to more checkerboard (ridges) rather than a lots of peaks and valleys and feels softer too.

The label says Made in China 80/20 blend. I had purchased this as a gift but now I curious to try it myself.
The towel fabrics are being produced in different facilities, but they should perform the same or better as your original towels.
Old 02-08-2009

I made good use of my Mother's Waffle Weave drying towels just this morning.

'15 Dodge Challenger SRT - B5 Blue
'17 Dodge Durango R/T - Granite Crystal
Old 02-12-2009

@Wizard of Iz -- somehow I have a feeling that it had nothing to do with the car though... ;-)
@jonmike -- have you gotten your answer from momsph? if not, have you tried the microtex brand
@abnot -- thanks for the review. I might just try this out since my 2.5++y/o (otherbrand) WW seems to be not as effective as it used to be anymore. Thank goodness the instruction's the same as my old one. :-D
Old 02-12-2009
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by B2Bomber View Post
@jonmike -- have you gotten your answer from momsph? if not, have you tried the microtex brand

http://hartintl.com/products_mother_A.html
Old 03-06-2009

Thanks for the excellent review. I've been using "The Absorber" for years and lately I've been trying to upgrade my detailing products. I have seen the Mothers drying towels hanging on the racks at local auto parts stores and have always wondered how it was supposed to be stored. I like the tube "The Absorber" comes in because it keeps it clean plus it keeps it damp without it getting smelly. How do they recommend you store the Mothers waffle weave drying towel?
Old 03-06-2009

Welcome to the Forum.
I might offer the suggestion that storing them in a sealable plastic container might have some issues if it is not completely dry when stored.

I have one of the Mother's drying towels, and I store it in the rear pocket of the Foose bag I have. I just fold it into four, and then ease it in. It has a mesh cover over the pocket, so is perfectly designed for storage of this towel.

Tony.

"Old man look at my life, I'm a lot like you were."------Neil Young.
Old 03-07-2009

I think you can wring an Absorber dryer so I assume that it is one reason it does not mildew. I just hang my drying towels up to air dry and put it away later.
Old 03-07-2009

I keep my Absorber in the same plastic tube that it came in which has a hole in the bottom to provide drainage and ventilation.

I take over my wife's wooden "unmentionables" rack for my Mother's drying towel.

I'm a BIG fan of the Mother's drying towel. And, since it was only in the mid-50's here this morning, the GTO and the R/T got treated to a bath while I had the shade.

'15 Dodge Challenger SRT - B5 Blue
'17 Dodge Durango R/T - Granite Crystal
Old 09-08-2009

I use these all the time and love them

Old 03-24-2011

Hi guys,
Im getting into this post a little late but....Does anyone know where I can buy one of these towels in Australia??
Thanks
Old 03-24-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyfromOz View Post
Gentlemen.
For the last 8 weeks or so I have been experimenting with washing the car on a limited basis with firstly QEW and then the Mothers in a spray bottle.
As effective as these methods have been, there are limitations, and I mentioned them during my earlier review.
One of those limitations recently manifested itself to a degree where a ‘spray bottle’ wash would have done the job, but not the full job.
We’ve had reasonable rain, and I’m convinced now that a flood of ‘Noah’ proportions, 40 days and nights of blindingly solid rain would not cause our ‘political masters’ to bat an eyelid in their mantra of restricting water supply to the public.
The rain however made driving a novel experience as it has become such a rare thing to drive in blinding rain.
Although the car could have been cleaned with the spray bottle method, the wheel wells would still have been quite dirty, and not wanting this residue to harden onto the surface there, I ran the car through the water only car wash, because the strong water spray from below will loosen any dirt there in the wells.
This gave me my first chance to use my recently acquired Drying towels, and after having read Al’s excellent review, I was looking forward to it.
All that Al said was confirmed and all I’m going to do is to add pictures and a little extra.

Al’s method of use is perfect. The thing that impressed me was the way the water seemingly vanished. I did the whole car, (admittedly only Corolla sized) and it actually seemed as if I could easily have continued with a second car. The fact it retained its shape without ‘scrunching up’ as Al mentioned was also impressive. I used it in conjunction with the waffle weave Wheel and Jamb towel which did all the inside door surrounds and the hatch surround at the rear of the car , and the small areas the larger towel would not go.

I previously used two full sized terry bath towels. When finished, one towel was saturated completely, and the second was damp through. When finished with this foam cored towel, I could not wring out a drop, so I just hung it over the back of the chair in the garage to allow the water to evaporate.

The only reason I’ve included photographs is that text of its use and a picture in the products tab don’t give much of an impression of the size.
The large foam cored drying towel is still full of the water from drying the car, and the Wheel and Jamb towel is a little dirty from areas in those surrounds where the car wash areas cannot clean as properly as a wash with a hose, a bucket and mitt can reach.

Remember when you look at the photographs I mentioned two full sized bath towels.

This towel makes everything else redundant. If you can get one then do so.

Tony, Where did you pick this towel up from in Aus?
Closed Thread
 Page 1 of 2   1   2 >