Post Thanks / Like

customer vs. personal detail

hay all,

first of all, just want to say how much i like this forum. can`t tell you how much i have learned.

when you guys do your own cars, i read where you put on two layers of this and then two layers of that, to make it look better.
    when you do a detail for a customer, do you just do one layer of whatever you use ( a sealant or wax ), and if you use a sealant, do you top it with a wax everytime?

one more question, i have been reading that the PC saves time and produces better results, but when alot of you put on a second layer of a sealant or wax, you apply by hand. what is the reasoning behind this?

by the way, i just received my PC today and can`t wait to try it this weekend. i will have pictures. although my truck is only 4 months old, i am still counting on it making a vast improvement.

thanks everyone
    Ed

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t do customer cars, only my own, but it`s been a while with no replies so here`s my take on this.
    My personal reason for two applications of a product is more to be sure of complete coverage than anything else. Some people feel the extra applications add to the appearance. :dunno
    I don`t happen to be one that tops a sealant with a wax.
    If I use a sealant, that is my last step product. If I use a wax, then it goes on right after I clean and polish the paint.

I think you will find that most professional detailers don`t do multiple applications due to time constraints. Not only the time to do it, the time between applications of some products can be up to 24 hours.

If I use the PC, (sometimes I do, sometimes I don`t), both applications would be with the PC. I`m not really sure why the last application would be any better by hand unless someone felt that the PC would be too aggressive and have an effect on the previous application.
    Enjoy.

Charles

Still Around
    Post Thanks / Like
    I`ll do whatever the customer pays for. Want two coats of wax, then I`ll do it. I don`t push it though.

--
    Post Thanks / Like
    I do what the customer is willing to pay for. I dont really do more than one coat of any particular wax.

My "silver" detail includes one coat of wax, while my "gold" detail includes a glaze/polish (usually VM) and a coat of wax.

As for using the pc to wax/seal, its kinda up in the air. You can get a more uniform coat with the pc, but you will probably use less product by hand. Going by hand might be faster, but it would be more tiring. If im detailing a nice smooth rounded car, the pc would be great. If im working on a boxy car, id prefer to do it by hand.

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks alot guys

My L5-S1 is killing me! wifehatescar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t top my last step products, I spend the time on the prep (polishing/compounding) which makes more of a difference to *my* eyes.
    We can rebuild him. We have the capability to make the world’s first bionic man. Better than he was before. Better Stronger Faster

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ll do whatever the client wants and is willing to pay for... last week I handed a client my pamplet, so he could read while I was doing the estimate... When I finished the estimate he inquired about pricing for applying wax over sealant...

Swirls?!?! NNOOOOOOO!!!!! Big Leegr's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Another reason for applying the LSP by hand is that it`s a less aggressive method. The PC goes pretty fast, even on 1, compared to how slow a person might go. This slower application creates less friction, thereby leaving more of the previous layer intact (esp. important with glazes).
    Another reason to do the last step by hand is to check out your work a little closer. Yes, you should be checking after each step, but for those that don`t, and specifically for those who don`t use clay, this hand rubbing lets you see/feel how smooth (or not) the finish is. This would be mostly related to those who are doing it for themselves, not pros (who would likely have a good understanding of what can be done with each product, due to familiarity through using them daily). The casual detailer might need a little more inspection.
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!

Thread Information