Right Wing Conservative NozeBleedSpeed's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Input Please....

Well,I got the pad kit for the new PC today so I will be whippin` up on the 94 Ranger this weekend. I would really like some input from you guys on which pads and products to use,and recommended sequence.

Heres a list of many exterior products on my shelf.If Im missing anything that would help,tell me.Hopefully I have enough junk here to do the paint on one truck.I do have a few others not listed.

Pinnacle Clay

Wool,yellow,white and gray pads.

Megs Scratch X
    Megs DACP
    3M PI Fine Cut
    Menzerna Intensive
    PB Polish w/carnauba
    High Intensity Fine Cut

Menzerna Final
    P21S Paint Cleanser
    Pinnacle Paintwork Cleanser
    Platinum PPC
    Klasse AIO

Klasse HG
    P21S Carnauba
    Pinnacle LS
    Pinnacle Paste Glaz
    Pinnacle Souveran
    Platinum UPP
    PB EX

Thanks for any advice.Im just trying to do whats needed and not waste redundant steps.
    Im Zaino free.

Post Thanks / Like
    WOW...good collection
    what lubricant willyou use with the clay??
    How many Pads do you have...i go threw a few on one vehicle...
    if it gets too clog`d or somehow it picks up dirt....i have rinse`d them off and spin dry for reuse...sometimes..
    I didn`t see anything for the metal or the tires.
    or were you just doin the paint..

Post Thanks / Like
    Well,Im just trying to straighten up some badly neglected,9 year old paint at this point. Those are the items that would apply to the paint work.Im not really after the other stuff until I have more time.That alone should be a full day.

Post Thanks / Like
    First time user? I wouldn`t screw around with anything agressive until you get a feel for what the products will do to the paint. I personally would start with the white polishing pad and Menzerna Final simply to see what happens. This is a very mild combo and will just sort of clean up the surface without taking off any significant paint. (if any at all) If it has very little effect, I would next go to the cutting pad with the final and see how that works. On an older car, you will probably end up with something like this - Cutting pad with DACP followed by polishing pad with Menzerna Final, followed by hand application of whatever wax or sealant moves you at the time. The main thing is, start out with mild products. You`ll learn soon enough what does what. Just be sure to work the product until it powders and you`ll be in great shape. Have fun!

Post Thanks / Like
    Ace,great reply! Yes,first timer with a PC and trying it on bad paint,on top of that.Ill start with a mild approach to get the feel and response.Im certain Ill need to go aggressive,but Ill have a better idea after trying baby steps first.Thanks for the advice man.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think you`re going to be blown away at what the PC can do with even the mildest of products. There is just no comparison, in my opinion, between the quality of the finish you can achieve. As long as you liked my advice, i`ll give you one more piece- don`t become a paint-removal junkie, trying to remove every swirl and flaw. Products like 3M SWR or Hand Glaze have great hiding properties and you can really achieve beautiful results. Removing paint has consequences, so try to achieve a reasonable balance between removal and hiding. BTW - PB Polish with Carnuba has amazing hiding properties. I bet you could get great results with a wash, clay and Polish with Carnuba applied with the white polishing pad.

Strange name, ain't it? NattyBumppo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by ACE
    ....don`t become a paint-removal junkie, trying to remove every swirl and flaw. Products like 3M SWR or Hand Glaze have great hiding properties and you can really achieve beautiful results. Removing paint has consequences, so try to achieve a reasonable balance between removal and hiding. BTW - PB Polish with Carnuba has amazing hiding properties. I bet you could get great results with a wash, clay and Polish with Carnuba applied with the white polishing pad.
    I couldn`t agree more. It is very easy to get into a crazed sort of mentality where every little mark and the faintest/most obscure swirls will have you breaking out the 3M PI-III compound or light cut cleaner and a cutting pad, then lighter polish then glaze.

I think ACE has really given you some sage advice.
    Natty
    ------------------------------------------------
    "Sorry Miss, I just decided I don`t do mini-vans"

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks again Ace and Natty. Ill work out what is reasonable, without getting obsessed with every detail and just let the rest go. Im not trying to achieve perfection but the truck just doesnt fit everything else in my driveway in the condition its in. Again very good advice. I really appreciate it.

Once I get a feel for it,Ill ask for help with the good paint on my other cars. A different approach there,Im assuming.I can see spider webbing on my Lightning at certain angles in the right light.I have the tools,so Ill try to get that one perfect.
    Im Zaino free.

Thread Information