Post Thanks / Like

Hard "Core" Water Spots

Returned home from being out of town for five days and was disgusted to see the driver side of my rig literally covered with water spots from the sprinkler system. I`ve spent the better part of the day slaving to remove this crud, and although it appears to be better, I am not completely satisfied. The salesperson at Schuck`s recommended Meg`s #2 Fine-cut cleaner, and from reading some of the archives at the forum it seems like good advice on the brand. After applying the #2 several times (additional times in areas affected more) I went straight to Meg`s #26. The directions on the #2 recommended #9, but then stated for longer lasting proctection to use the #26. I originally read this as if I didn`t need the #9 if I were to use the #26, but now I am second guessing myself and thinking I skipped an important step.

I have a 02 3/4 ton Ram P/U and as stated before it looks better than before, but the coat still has stubborn marks as well as less noticeable marks I want to get rid of. Perhaps the worse thing still is the chrome nerf bars and chrome wheels. Thus far I have had no luck removing the water marks from these areas. I tried a bit of white vinegar, but had no luck. After reading some threads here, it looks like 0000 steel wool might work on the chrome with a bit of chrome polish. I might give this a try yet.

Am I screwed as far as the condition of my paint job and chrome or do you guys have some suggestions you can pass on?

Thanks...vis

Car Detailing Whore
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, you definately need the #9. The Fine-Cut cleaner is a great compund, but its extrmely abrasive, and you have to go back and clean it up some, #9 and other SMRs are designed to do just that. Otherwise it will leave spots where the paint just doesnt seem to have the right "depth".

As for the chrome, give Eagle One Never Dull a shot first. That stuff does wonders on tough stuff, water spots shouldnt be much trouble for it.
    http://tassadar.ezekial.net

Post Thanks / Like
    You could always try using a clay bar on the water spots.

Eric

Car Detailing Whore
    Post Thanks / Like
    That thought skipepd my mind, im always afriad to clay an unwashed car though, too much dirt on the surface can ruin the bar.

Also, try some Klasse AIO on those wheels if they are painted from the factory.
    http://tassadar.ezekial.net

Post Thanks / Like
    One more thing to try is adding vinegar to your wash.

Eric

Thread Information