Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Question My first paid detail, advice needed

Hello everyone!
    I`m starting a small side business on the weekends, and I have my first job scheduled next week. I don`t know if this is good luck or bad, but it is a light blue 2004 BMW M3! I think it`s a detailing virgin, since its only about 2 months old and the guy mentioned the dealer never did it.

Here are the steps I plan on taking, please tell me if there is anything wrong or missing:

Exterior:
    Wash with PB`s S&W and MF towels
    Clay using Meg`s quik detailer and Claymagic bar
    Poorboy`s SSR1 using PC 7424
    PB`s EX-P with PC
    top with Natty`s or TS

dress trim with PB`s Natural look
    Clean wheels with 4* wheel cleaner gel
    Clean tires with simple green and PB`s Bold and Bright
    polish (plastic) aluminum trim with Meg`s plastic cleaner #17, all other (real) metal with never dull or Mother`s aluminum polish

Interior:
    Vacuum
    carpets with 4* carpet cleaner ( they looked spotless already)
    Leather with 4* leather cleaner/condit. combo
    the vinyl looked spotless, so no cleaning
    dress with PB`s natural look
    Windows with Stoners Invs Glass

My price is $95, but I`m only charging $75 since the ride is so clean and needs minimal attention. Plus it`s my first "real" job, and a 60G ride is a great car to have in my portfolio to start with. :cool

Please give me any suggestions, I don`t want to mess this up
    :-p

Richie

Post Thanks / Like
    To start with I`d wash the car with water and soap, not S&W you want it really clean for the clay.

I also would skip the SSR1 a new car like that should not have any swirls to worry about.What you have going for you here is the light color I would follow clay with AIO like PB P-w-C using a PC and polishing pad.
    Follow up with EX and Nattys

The rest of the steps seems OK to me
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like
    My suggestion would be to raise the price. This person should be able and willing to pay what the job is worth.

Post Thanks / Like
    PwC is probably the better choice here, but you could use SSR1 like a glaze by using a finishing pad instead of a polishing pad.

Post Thanks / Like
    awd, thanks for the suggestion on the pad choice. I saw in another thread that you recomended the SSR1 for more gloss/depth, and that is the look I want (plus I don`t have any PwC!).

After seeing Nick`s Ferrari, I thought the SSr1/ Natty`s combo would look great.

Post Thanks / Like
    RJ SD...

Charge the customer accordingly. Your time, knowledge, and motivation to provide a quality service deserves a quality price...

... a 2004 BMW M3...I anticipate the car cost @ $85k.... Charge him accordingly!!!
    No buff to tuff

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Clean Dean
    RJ SD...

Charge the customer accordingly. Your time, knowledge, and motivation to provide a quality service deserves a quality price...

... a 2004 BMW M3...I anticipate the car cost @ $85k.... Charge him accordingly!!!

2004 BMW M3`s range from around $50K - high $60`s (if its a convertible).

-Mike

Owner - Mike`s Car Wash & Detail

A New Standard of Excellence.

"Invest in a company that you know can be run by an idiot...because soon enough, it will be." ~Peter Lynch

Post Thanks / Like
    Do not be ashamed of what you charge it looks to me like you have a pretty good grasp of what to do you just need a little experience. I would be willing to bet that you will be spending around 4 to 5 hrs of labor on this car so it should be worth 95 to 100 $.

Post Thanks / Like
    He just wanted a standard detail, wax only, for $95. My flyer has a first time customer discount of $20 to help me get established with customers, so I am giving him that. And he works with my Girlfriend, so I am going to hook him up with a clay and polish. I was considering skipping the Sealent step, but I`ll decide when I do it.
    My girlfriend said his wife also has a BMW, black. So I figure if I can impress him with this job, I`ll be able to do his wife`s car too for a regular price, and hopefully get a monthly regular.

Post Thanks / Like
    RJ SD,

Great first client. This should certainly start you off well.

I`m not quite sure the reasoning for using PWC over SSR1....I guess I just like the look of SSR1. Maybe it is the wetness vs. warmness. PWC is more warm, SSR1 more wet. EX-P and Natty`s are great clarity products. I found that SSR1 is effective on light and dark colored cars. As you can see, that Ferrari came out nice. EX-P would be a "good" step to add protection. You might consider using EX-P by hand. If your new to the PC, it will take more time to stop and reapply every so often. Top it off with Natty`s for a great shine.

We all have to get started one way or another; you can`t just get out of the blocks charging $200+, so with your excitment and eagerness to get going on it, don`t be afraid of $75 for the first couple. However, if you start adding a polishing step, charge accordingly.
    Nick Carberry
    ~Detailing high-end cars with quality products~

Post Thanks / Like

Re: My first paid detail, advice needed

Originally posted by RJ SD
    Hello everyone!
    I`m starting a small side business on the weekends,

My price is $95,
    Richie,

How did you arrive at the price of $95?

Post Thanks / Like
    To get $95 I threw some dice and . . .

Just kidding. I looked at the local prices, and tried to base it on that, keep in mind I`m throwing in the clay and polish no charge to help me get established. Do you think it`s too high/low?

Nick, thanks for the words of encouragement. I hope to get to where you are one day (soon).
    Last edited by RJ SD; 04-30-2004 at 06:03 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by RJ SD
    I looked at the local prices, and tried to base it on that, keep in mind I`m throwing in the clay and polish no charge to help me get established. Do you think it`s too high/low?
    RJ SD,

Since you are starting a `small side business on the weekends` you probably really don`t have too many business expenses other than your detailing supplies and some advertising costs.

What you need to consider, even though you are not a full time business is the fact that your work may actually be just as good or maybe even better than other professional detailers in your area. Don`t be surprised to find out that your customers may be willing to pay a premium for your services. If you get similar or better results compared to the competition, then you may want to charge a similar price.

Keep in mind that an established detailing business should always base their prices on the cost of doing business. In other words, they should identify how much they need to make per hour in order to cover expenses and stay in business. That hourly rate should increase as expenses increase.

In summary, it is okay to start out with a price of $95, but as your expenses increase so should your prices.

Practice makes "PERFECT" clean4u's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with fireman charge accordingly
    "A Clean Ride is a Happy Ride" To some its just a Ride!!!! So True!!!!!

Seeking the perfect shine C_Rock77's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I couldn`t agree more. Remember one mantra: "Charge what the market will bear." Don`t seem too wishy-washy when you quote a price. If you`ve not detailed any cars for cash, don`t hesitate to charge a little more than any of the detail locations around you. If you`re mobile, your customer will likely pay the extra bit for the convenience of you coming to them. I`m willing to bet that your details will rival (likely being better) than the detail shops in your area.

You likely use better products and give more attention to each job than the other professional detailers in your area. Good luck!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information