Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Why Not in the Sun???

Hello All,

There is somehting I have always wondered. There are several products produced that caution against being used in the sun.

WHY???

I`ve been told that using some products in the sun can cause staining. Is it because the surface of the vehicles is hot and causes some sort of reaction with the product? So is it the paint or the product?

How is it that Poorboys stuff can be used in the sun?

Not looking for any trade secrets just wondering how some products are sun friendly and some are not.

All levels of answers are welcome and encouraged. I`m looking for layman to technical. If any of you know of where I might go on the WWW, that would be kewl too!

As always, TIA!!!
    Kayel17
    If It Floats, Rolls or Flyes, I can make it Shine!

Post Thanks / Like
    The problem that I have had with using products in the sun that weren`t intended to be was removal or the inability to do so. The product tends to dry out way too much to get off therefore putting back the same marring that you just removed.

I have read that Steve will have to kill you if he tells you why his products can be used in the sun so unless you`re willing.....
    Triple Honda Owner

My L5-S1 is killing me! wifehatescar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Why Not in the Sun???

Originally posted by kayel17

How is it that Poorboys stuff can be used in the sun?
    I have asked this before and, surprise, never got an answer
    Best not to ask I guess :wha :brick

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by SpoiledMan
    The problem that I have had with using products in the sun that weren`t intended to be was removal or the inability to do so. The product tends to dry out way too much to get off therefore putting back the same marring that you just removed.

I have read that Steve will have to kill you if he tells you why his products can be used in the sun so unless you`re willing.....
    LOL All I know is that the polishes and EX work great in the sun! I had to do a black Sunfire outside directly in the hot sun one day last year and it came out awesome with no problems at all. Here is the car http://www.danase.com/gallery/album07

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    It`s all about the chemicals and chemistry
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

My L5-S1 is killing me! wifehatescar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, such detail, I can go start my own Poorboys knock-off company now with that knowledge <---insert sarcasm
    We can rebuild him. We have the capability to make the world’s first bionic man. Better than he was before. Better Stronger Faster

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by wifehatescar
    Wow, such detail, I can go start my own Poorboys knock-off company now with that knowledge <---insert sarcasm
    Steve was much more detailed than I would have been.
    I was gonna say it was the stuff he puts in it.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all the replies. Here is what I gathered thus far;

Most products, compounds, polishes, waxes are cautioned against using in the sun b/c they wil dry out and you would probably need sandpaper grade atomic bomb to remove the product.

Which leads me to a question, when working with PBs, (I will be getting my first shipment today purchased from the local distributor, didn`t know I could still get the 10% discount, SSR3 down to PP) do you folks who have used PPs stuff, work in sections?

E.g. Do you work one section at a time with all the products?

So, SSR2 then wipe off, SSR1, wipe off, polish, wipe off, wax, wipe off?

I tend to work my compunding steps this way but like to polish the entire vehicle then wipe off w/MF. Same with the wax step.

What do you folks do/reccommend?
    Kayel17
    If It Floats, Rolls or Flyes, I can make it Shine!

Post Thanks / Like
    I have done both. I sometimes polish the whole car and then go back and wipe off or do a panel at a time. It makes no difference when working with the SSR`s as far as I can tell.

Post Thanks / Like
    It would really depend on how hot it is..if the finish is scorching, I`d say wait until it`s a bit cooler ...if you have no choice..ie it`s your living...then do sections at a time ....

Post Thanks / Like
    I should of added when I do the whole car first then come back it is in my insulated garage so it does not get that hot in there.

Post Thanks / Like
    You can always use a waffle weave to cover the next section you are doing so it doesn`t heat up too much while you are working on the current section.

Post Thanks / Like
    pop-up tents are good sometimes too...that way it also allows the sun to show you where the finish may still need some work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Poorboy
    It would really depend on how hot it is..if the finish is scorching, I`d say wait until it`s a bit cooler ...if you have no choice..ie it`s your living...then do sections at a time ....
    If it`s really hot and I must buff or polish, I use a synthetic wool pad. My general rule of thumb is if I can put my hand flat on the hood for three seconds, I`m good to go. If its too hot, I`ll use the synthetic pad. I highly prefer foam pads over anything else but they create alot of heat. Wool pads create even more heat. Synthetic pads, I think nylon is the material, work nicely in the sun because they create very little heat. I don`t change my processes other than that and have had good results using all of my normal products, including the ones that say not to use in the sun.
    I`ve been busy but I`ll try to make some time.

The Whaler Loves Detail City rabbi's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have found that the temperature affects the products more than the sun. I`ve used products when it was sunny and in the mid 40`s. I experienced no problems.
    "I`m staying out of it."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information