Car Detailing Whore
    Post Thanks / Like

Removing swirls by hand

I was trying to remove swirls with SSR2 followed by SSR1 the other day. Due to a current personal budget crisis, I am unable to afford a PC (yet). When I used them, I did not really see much of a loss in swirls, and I used quite a bit of muscle.

Ideas, thoughts, comments?
    http://tassadar.ezekial.net

Wherever there is a mullet... I'll be there.
    Post Thanks / Like
    To remove swirls I operate my PC on either 3000 RPM or 5000 RPM. Even then it is difficult to remove them after one pass. It usually takes a couple passes while using different products. To remove swirls by hand is something that I wouldn`t expect you could do unless you had been doing it for years. You would need to develop special muscle groups that allow you to do it. I don`t have shoulders like the guys in the Iron Man competitions so its not something I would even like to attempt. The whole reason I bought a PC was because I wasn`t able to make a dent in my swirls by hand. It was costing me a ton of money in products and I wasn`t getting anything done. I would say that only 1% of the detailers out there would try swirl removal by hand. It takes too long for those who can do it and its kind of impossible for the rest of us. Don`t feel bad that you didn`t get results. Neither did I. I tried to charm the swirls off but they don`t respect the mullet.

Post Thanks / Like
    TASS

Get some light cut rubbing compound for the frist pass, this will help to level the clear coat with out wearing out your arm. Then use the SWR after then polish. I have used this method on many cars prior to getting my orbital. I wil say that the orbital will get most if not about all out but the hand method above wil do a great job for you.

Good Luck
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like
    What type of hand motion do ya`ll use when doing things by hand? I know everything says apply in a circular motion, but I hear alot of people saying they wouldn`t dare do a circular motion. Is it better to do a left to right, top to bottom, then corner to corner?

J.D.

Post Thanks / Like
    J.D.

I only do things by hand in areas I can`t get to with my rotary. If I`m polishing then I use a back and forth but if I`m waxing I use a circular motion.

The directions on Poorboys bottles actually recommend a back and forth motion for their products but I`ve seen others that say circular. I guess it depends on the product/situation.
    Ringo

Post Thanks / Like
    SSR2 is, I believe, a light-cut rubbing compound. Removing swirls by hand is not impossible but it might as well be
    Dream big and be willing to do the work to get there.

Thread Information