Post Thanks / Like

Lube for Clay bar

The only 2 products I have that could be used as lube for my clay are 4star Spray Wax + (with carnuba) and PB S&W. Ive been using 4star SW+, but i was thinking maybe the carnuba could cause problems with later products.`

So, should I keep using the SW+, should I start using the S&W, or should I buy something else?

Post Thanks / Like
    I could get some flack on this one, but oh well. IMO I can get away with a QD that isn`t the highest quality, simply because claying is the 2nd step of the process, and I will begin the polishing steps afterwards. I save my good QD`s for dust and fingerprint removal.
    Nick Carberry
    ~Detailing high-end cars with quality products~

Post Thanks / Like
    Why dont you just use water while your washing ?
    When it`s you car, every detail matters...........

Post Thanks / Like
    I use S&W when I clay my vehicles. I usually bypass the lube that is included with Claymagic.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve tried the soap and water mixture, and just didn`t acheive the results as I did with a QD. S&W is a great clay lube, as it has more cleaners in it than most.
    Nick Carberry
    ~Detailing high-end cars with quality products~

Post Thanks / Like
    WAZ up DC I use Gliptone body gloss (with carnuba) then just hose off. how much do u guyz charge 4 a clay job & basic spay wax my starting price is $89.00 & up ?? thankz dc C-YA

Post Thanks / Like
    I use Meg`s #34 Final Inspection ... It cleans up very well without having to wash the vehicle after claying.
    It`s what you learn after you know it all that counts ... John Wooden

Post Thanks / Like
    The last time I clayed (last week) I tried using the car shampoo. I washed a panel, rinsed, then re-soaped and clayed. I ten rewashed the panel and rinsed. IT IS ALOT easier, plus I think it does a better job as you have plenty of lubrication. Just make sure you use a real slippery high lubricating shampoo. I use WG auto bath.
    2018 Ram Big Horn CTD
    2009 Lexus IS250
    1999 ChampioN 181 Bassboat
    1968 Plymouth Roadrunner 383 4spd

Post Thanks / Like
    ive been advised to do my claying during the wash. drying the vehicle and using alot of paint gloss is taking to much time so on my next car im trying it gotta cut down on time...ill let you guys know how it goes
    back in buisness baby

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep - I prefer claying with shampoo on, because it`s a lot easier to see where you`re lacking lubrication (just look for spots with no bubbles!), as opposed to QD, where you have to look carefuly to see that you sprayed an entire section. With the whole body soaped up, you can apply broader strokes when claying, which also cuts the time significantly.

Results are great, but haven`t done a thorough comparison with claying with QD.
    2004 Black Sapphire BMW X3 3.0
    =D
    http://bb.1asphost.com/joshw81/x3/

Boss_429
    I wouldn`t use a QD that has carnauba in it for clay lube. S & W, a good non-carnauba QD, or a bucket of car wash works just fine for me. Of course, I don`t place as much emphasis on claying as others. I use clay very, very lightly to just "skim" the paint surface.

Seeking the perfect shine C_Rock77's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by jonw440
    The last time I clayed (last week) I tried using the car shampoo. I washed a panel, rinsed, then re-soaped and clayed. I ten rewashed the panel and rinsed. IT IS ALOT easier, plus I think it does a better job as you have plenty of lubrication. Just make sure you use a real slippery high lubricating shampoo. I use WG auto bath.
    I agree...IMO, it`s just too damn expensive to use QD for a lube when you can use a shampoo solution--especially when your`e supposed to use COPIOUS amounts. Water/Shampoo mixture in a spray bottle work GREAT! I`ll use 24+ oz on a car....I don`t want to have to spend $5+ on lube every time I clay a car. That`s just silly.

Thread Information