Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Obsessive Compulsive Detailer Jngrbrdman's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy I feel used and abused....

I have got the schedule from hell. I seriously do. My wife has a 10 hour shift that she works from 12:30 till 11 and has Tuesday - Thursday off. So I work longer days in the middle of the week and short Mondays and Fridays. We do this because we have zero family here in Utah and we don`t know anyone else who can watch Erik for us. It works out well this way because we both get to spend a lot of quality time with our son. However, the downside is that I really have to juggle stuff around to get any time for detailing. I have a really good friend that I trust to watch Erik while I`m out in the garage working on a car, so that is usually how we swing it.

I`ve got a car show in less than a month and I have been trying to find the time to work on my car every chance I get. I still need another coat of WG and a layer of carnauba before the big day. I`ve got the interior to work on and the engine and a couple other things. I don`t really have much time for other cars right now. Well, I get home today on my short day and decide to wash my car and maybe get a coat of WG on it while Erik is taking a nap. As soon as I start unwinding the hose to get going, my land lord`s wife rolls up and wants her car done. They never pay me for it and figure that I have nothing better to do than wash their car. They don`t just want it washed either. They need the whole nine yards done. It hasn`t been touched since I did it back in like October. They are never sensitive to the weather outside or my schedule. They act like it is almost something I owe them for the privlege of renting my house from them.

So I blow her off and tell her that I won`t have time to do it today and I may have time on Friday, but I don`t know. I don`t work for free for people who never wash or clean their cars between visits. If they want some pro bono work then they have to show me that they appreciate the work I do by keeping their cars respectably clean between details. I don`t mind helping people out, but I hate to be used like that. I`m not the neighborhood car washer. :angry

Anyone else have neighbors who think you just do this for fun and don`t have anything else to do but wash their cars for free? I do this because I am sick and obsessive about clean cars. I spent a boat load of money on my car (relatively speaking) and I`ll be damned if it is going to be ruined simply because I am too lazy to wash it. Maybe other people don`t see that they sunk a huge amount of money into their cars and don`t care if they ever see any of that investment again, but I sure do and I hate working on cars for people who don`t feel the same way. If they had to pay for the work then maybe they would take better care to keep it clean so they didn`t have to pay that again. I swear.... people like this should be charged twice as much because it is usually twice as much work. Bahhh!! I`m so bent right now. I don`t even feel like I can go out into my garage for fear that someone else is going to come over and try to mooch off of me. :grrr

Sorry..... I just had to vent and get that off my chest.
    ~ ~ www.OCDetails.com ~ ~
    Faster isn`t better. BETTER is better no matter how long it takes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Suck it up and get to work!!! LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey now... no raining on my pity party. :lol

Post Thanks / Like
    In my previous neighborhood I had a neighbor who would come out every time I was detailing my SUV and comment how good it looked and how horrible her car looked. I would usually just politely smile and make small talk. She finally asked me if I could take a look at her black BMW 540i.

She never parked it in her garage and had it washed at the local car wash. I detailed it for free as a nice neighbor. Took me about 7 hours. I instructed her how to care for the paint and what products to purchase. Needless to say, she would still come out every weekend when I was working on my SUV and ask me if I could wash hers. I finally had to tell her that I did not have time to work on her car. She was hurt and rarely spoke to me after that. Oh well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yup. I figure that if I lose a customer who has never once refered me to anyone in the two years that I have lived here and has never paid a dime for a detail, then I`m not really losing much. If I thought it would matter then I would probably do it, but I have floated them several freebies and I haven`t even gotten so much as 5 bucks knocked off my rent since I moved in. Its still like pulling teeth to get anything fixed around here too. They just aren`t deserving of any more freebies. They aren`t really deserving of the `good buddy` discount. I just hate freeloaders....

Post Thanks / Like
    I was kidding. I feel soooo bad for you!!!!

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like
    It really amazes me that people can be that crass. To just flat out ask you to wash their vehicle seems totally out of line.
    Several of my wifes friends have made comments to her about how good our vehicles look and have asked in a more or less joking manner if I would do theirs. My usual answer, "You mow my lawn, I`ll wash your car". Haven`t had any takers yet.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t think it would have roasted me so much if she hadn`t pulled up in my driveway as soon as I got out the bucket. Then she just rolls down her window and waits for me to come over. I dunno... Maybe I should feel privleged to wash her car or something. I asked them if I could change something on the inside of the house once. It was something stupid like permission to put up some curtains. She flat out denied me. Now, that doesn`t seem like the way you should treat someone if you are trying to get freebies out of them. I finally said screw it and hung the curtains anyway. lol

I think we live in the land of something for nothing. They get something and we get nothing. I hope that I haven`t ever come off that way to anybody. I`ve never asked to borrow so much as a wrench without offering to help out somewhere along the line. Bad karma like this can follow one around for a really long time. Karma doesn`t like a mooch.

Post Thanks / Like
    That`s pretty obnoxious of someone to keep coming to you for detailing without offering any compensation at all. Detailing is a real luxury, there`s no need to have a spotless car (to the common person of course). I think people need to pay for that or do it themselves. It`s one thing to help a neighbor get their car running, fix their computer, or watch their pets for them while they are vacation or something like that, but I really don`t see how anyone can expect a neighbor to whip out the wash bucket and slave away on their vehicle for them simply because they like it to look nice.

In conclusion, cut her brakelines while you "detail" her car and I`m sure you won`t ever have to worry about it again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe you ought to try the approach of... well, you know, I charge, and tell them how much, for doing a full detail like I did on your car before. Then go on to say that you just got a brilliant idea... you`ll detail their car for them once a month for that amount and rather than them paying you directly, they can simply deduct it from your rent!

That would be a polite way of letting them know you don`t work for free and at the same time, making apoint. Since they are unlikely to take you up on it, they will also likely not bother you with it again either. If they do, you can always remind them of the offer you made them before and that it still goes.
    If the wolf howls by the light of the moon in the dark of the night...

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow that really sucks!!!!!!!! Just so you know not all people are like that. I know you are trying to be a nice person and some day it will pay for you. Just this last weekend my old neighbor stopped by. They lived in the house next to us for 10 + years. I have helped them out a lot over the years, and they have helped us out too. They dropped off a gift certificate for a one night stay at a very nice hotel and water park. Its not even the amount of money it is the thought. I am still in shock. I am not saying that will happen to you with your land lord, but maybe some day down the road some one else might treat you right.

Professional Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Jngrbrdman,

Feel you pain bro. Maybe you could politely tell your landlord you`ll be more than happy to detail her car, but you just need to cover your materials cost. Then when she gets all giddy and asks how much that will be, simply smile and throw her a full retail price ($75, $150, whatever.)

When her smile turns into a confused scowl, just keep smilin`.

I dunno. Tough nut to crack:dunno

Good luck with it all. BTW, happy belated father`s day, you definately sound like on heck of a dedicated Dad.

Regards,
    Mike R
    Mike R.
    "Get That Great New Car Feeling"

Post Thanks / Like
    That does not sound like a good situation. I hope you enjoy your rent increase next year. :wait Seriously, next time she pulls up, you may want to pull out your cell phone and just walk away.

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like
    You might mention that you detail cars for rent money.
    Then again, you might not want to do that either.

Charles

Chadwick's Auto Detailing membim's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Most people don`t realize how much work a big detail really is.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information