Post Thanks / Like

Cleaning Paint Necessary?

I`m getting ready to do the big detail on my Black Envoy. I am planning on doing the following:

Wash (1z Perls)
    Clay (ClayMagic)
    Wash (1z Perls)
    SSR2
    SSR1
    EXP x 2

My question is, do I need to put a paint cleaner in there somewhere? I`m thinking AIO. But, I have some PwC on my shelf. Where should I put that step in the routine? Before or after the SSRs? I don`t want to remove any fillers for the swirls. By the way, the paint looks good to my eye as for color. I do not think it is faded. It is a 2003 Envoy.

Thanks,
    Fleet

Post Thanks / Like
    You should use the PWC after the SSRs. You can go straight from SSR1 to EXP though. Should look great on black.

Post Thanks / Like

Is PwC compatible with EXP

My concern is compatibility with the PwC. Will it bond correctly with the EX-P? I don`t like mixing Carnauba with Sealants. AIO is carnauba free, I believe. Maybe I should get some Poorboys Professional Polish instead?

Post Thanks / Like
    PwC and EXP are compatible. I believe several members have used PwC w/EXP, hopefully they will chime in. There shouldn`t be any bonding issues though. I would stick with SSR2->SSR1->EXP if you decide not to use PwC. SSR1 & EXP should leave the finish looking very wet/glossy.

Post Thanks / Like
    PP would take away the wet/glossy look that you get with SSR1. PP leaves a clear/reflective finish.

You could also top EXP with Natty`s after 24 hours for more shine and durability to your hard work.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve used the EX over the P-w-C on black. I do it all the time. After you get sone with the SSR the P-w-C brings a great shine to the car. I also top the EX with 100 carnuba paste wax
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve used EX-P over PwC with no bonding problems. It`s probably my favorite combo for light metallics. EX-P over SSR1 will give you a wetter look, while EX-P over PP will give you an extremely clear look. To put it simply, EX-P takes on the characteristics of the layer immediately preceding it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the replies!

I`m not planning on repeating this full routine anytime soon, so I don`t want to leave out a step. I hate to waste a complete day by not cleaning the paint. Do SSR1 or SSR2 have cleaning capabilities? I want this black Envoy to pop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Fleet
    I`m not planning on repeating this full routine anytime soon, so I don`t want to leave out a step. I hate to waste a complete day by not cleaning the paint. Do SSR1 or SSR2 have cleaning capabilities? I want this black Envoy to pop.
    Yes, SSR1 and SSR2 have cleaning properties. The abrasive nature of swirl removers have the benefit of scrubbing the paint clean. However, if you have oxidation or other environmental surface issues, you may benefit from using a chemical cleaner like Pro Polish, Klasse AIO, or Medallion Cleaner. Unless you have a lot of industrial fallout in your area, it will probably not be necessary to take this step on a 2003 vehicle.

Post Thanks / Like

Which pads to use?

Okay, my routine is set, now. Thanks a lot for the help.

Wash (1z Perls)
    Clay (ClayMagic)
    Wash (1z Perls)
    SSR2
    SSR1
    EXP x 2

Now, I need to decide what pads to use with a PC. I`m planning on using Yellow(Cutting) with SSR2 and White (Polishing) with SSR1.

Is it always the case to use a cutting pad with SSR2? Should I think about a Polishing Pad?

Post Thanks / Like
    I would NOT use the ssr2 with the cutting pad unless you have some significant swirling to remove.

Eric

Post Thanks / Like
    Excellent advice Eric, save the cutting pad, it`s a 2003! You`ll make more work for yourself that way.

I could be wrong, but if your talking about the Meguiar`s Pads, you have the colors wrong:
    Maroon--Cutting
    Yellow--Polishing
    Tan--Finishing

I would use SSR2 on a PC at 5, the SSR1 on a finishing or polishing pad at 4-5, then EX-P. You can do the first EX-P with a PC finishing pad on 3, then the 2nd application by hand (24 hrs apart at least). Skip PwC since you have a black car. SSR1 will give the effect of a wet glaze, and PwC tends to cancel that out with it`s "warming" properties.

Good luck with it, and we would love to see some pics when your done!
    Nick Carberry
    ~Detailing high-end cars with quality products~

Thread Information