Post Thanks / Like

Digital Camera + Flash?

hi, as i experiment more and more with my digital camera, i realize different things. generally, do you guys use flash, or tend to not use flash. ive learned, flash seems to make your paint really light looking, and regular doesnt. when taking pictures, if you use flash, you can see about every mark on the person`s face. however, when you dont use flash, i their face looks perfectly fine. it sounds like i shouldnt be using flash rite? hmmm, but now heres the problem. im not sure what im doing wrong, but whenever i try to use "no flash", my pictures are always blurred just a bit for some reason. im not sure why. ive tried using the continous shot in combination with no flash to no avail. it looks better, but still, you can tell that is a bit blurry... any ideas?

i have a canon cooolpix 3200
    The best comment of my life.......

"Just because something is on sale, doesn`t mean that you have to buy it. " awd330

Post Thanks / Like
    I usually only use a flash when I`m indoors in low light situations. I`ve found that outdoors in most conditions a flash is really not necessary. For example, I will almost never use a flash when I am taking pictures of a vehicle after detailing.

The reason your pictures may be a bit blurry could be caused by the fact that the shutter is opened a bit longer without the flash. That`s to allow more natural light to enter into the camera. It`s usually not a problem as long as you keep the camera steady when you take the picture. However, if you take pictures in a very low light condition, without a flash, then the shutter will remain open a lot longer and that`s when you may get a blurry picture. Then you may need to get yourself a tripod to hold the camera still when you take the picture. This is especially true when you take nighttime pictures without a flash.

I hope this helps...

Post Thanks / Like
    What kind of Camera are you using?

mirrorfinishman is right about the tripod. You can typicly pick one up for a 15-20 bucks just about anywere (you don`t need anything heavy duty unless you plan to be mounthing SLRs or things that tend to be extreamly heavy)

If you can you may want to play with the apeture settings on your camera if it is possible. The apeture settings will slow down or speed up the shutter speed.

Check out this forum http://www.dpreview.com/ the ppl over there are really cool Just as anal as we are about our cars these guys are about taking pictures! Some are professionals! They will tell you what the best bang for the buck is as well if your looking for a new camera!

But if you post up one of your pictures regardless of what it looks like they will tell you exactly what you need to do to get it looking like it was for a magazine photoshoot!

Post Thanks / Like
    You may also want to subscribe to one of the Digital Photo magazines. Always a good source for digital picture taking tips. I currently get DIGITAL PHOTOGRAPHER MAGAZINE. You can stop by their website at: http://www.digitalphotomag.com

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks for the help. i was thinking that maybe i could play with the shutter speed.

i just found this thing called the best shot selecter (bss). basically, what the bss does is, all i do is hold the shudder button down, and it takes pictures continously, and of that series, it takes the best shot. im not sure if its gonna work, but its worth a try.
    Last edited by zesty-man; 06-11-2004 at 09:10 PM.

"Just because something is on sale, doesn`t mean that you have to buy it. " awd330

Post Thanks / Like
    hmmm, today i was playing around with my camera, flash and no flash etc etc. i used a special close up feature on my camera, and sometimes it was good, and sometimes it wasnt. im thinking that it had something to do wtih the color of the car perhaps... check it out

no flash
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    flash. looks better in this one

Post Thanks / Like
    no flash. to me, this one looks better

Post Thanks / Like
    heres the flash. for some reason, it looks deeper, but not better. i think that the flash is better on darker colors than on light colors. maybe it had something to do with the distance too

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice Rosso Corsa Ferrari F50 and Giallo Midas Lamborghini Gallardo. Good pics
    www.exotiXboard.com

Post Thanks / Like
    more to come

I'll figure it out....
    Post Thanks / Like
    Those are beautiful pictures.

I just got a camera today, and i suck at taking
    pictures so far Hopefully I will get the hang
    of it soon.

Thread Information