Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2002 Chevrolet Corvette
    Post Thanks / Like

Ordering Porter cable 7424 Soon-Final Questions....

Well, as the title states you guys have done it. Just by posting those amazing pics that you post you have convinced me to buy the Porter Cable 7424. I`m always very cautious before I buy something, so I apologize if some of these questions seem "dumb".

Here is where I would order from:

I would be buying the 7424 and the DAP-KIT

http://www.properautocare.com/porcabuldetm.html

I like the fact that I can buy the 7424 and all those pads in one spot-it`s great!!!!

Ok, I would also be switching to Poorboys products, once again that`s because you guys convinced me with all those great pics!!

When I use the 7424 is there anything I need to do, due to the fact that it would be the first use?

I would Clay first.

Then I would use Poorboys SSR1 with a yellow cutting pad.

Then I would use Poorboys Professional Polish-which pad from the kit?

Then EX Sealant-again which pad from the kit?

If I then follow that up with the Natty`s Paste wax I`m done correct?

I have always done all of my waxing by hand and never even tried a buffer before, my dad keeps telling me that I may burn my paint, but I think he`s thinking of the old buffers that were in stores when he was a "Kid".

Any tips or tricks that you could offer would be welcome.

SORRY FOR THE LONG POST.
    :cool

Post Thanks / Like
    I would go this route with the products you mention:
    Clay
    SSR1 with polishing pad
    PPP with polishing pad
    EX with finishing pad
    Wait 24 hours
    Natty`s by hand
    Triple Honda Owner

Post Thanks / Like
    IMHO If you use the SSR1 after you do PPP, then Nattys by hand, you get a wetter shine.
    1969 GTO Judge 2002 Ford Escape

2002 Chevrolet Corvette
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by SpoiledMan
    I would go this route with the products you mention:
    Clay
    SSR1 with polishing pad
    PPP with polishing pad
    EX with finishing pad
    Wait 24 hours
    Natty`s by hand
    Cool. :cool Thanks for the tips.

But why SSR1 with a polishing pad? I`ve always heard people say that they use the yellow cutting pad.

2002 Chevrolet Corvette
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by 69 GTO Judge
    IMHO If you use the SSR1 after you do PPP, then Nattys by hand, you get a wetter shine.
    Thanks-I`ll probably experiment with different processes as time goes on.

Don`t worry I`ll post lots of pics. :cool

Post Thanks / Like
    :showpics

What color is your car?

Without knowing the condition of your paint, it`s hard to know what to recommend. But, I would think twice before using a cutting pad with SSR1. SSR1 is a mild polish. You probably don`t need to follow up with PP either. On my vehicles, SSR1 left a GREAT base for EX or EXP. I found that 2 layers of EX is worth doing also. But the second layer should be by hand if you choose to do it. I had a plan very similar to yours, but was happy with keeping it simple.

Wash
    Clay
    SSR1 W/Polishing Pad
    EX W/Finishing Pad
    Wait 24 Hours
    EX by hand

I`d think about stopping there. But if you want to top it, go ahead. The advantage of leaving it "open" is that you can always add another layer of EX later.

I`m looking into the stronger polishes myself now, so I can`t help you much there. But I`d try the SSR1 to see how it works.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice to see another hand waxer turn to PC user. CMA makes quality items, a little pricy and you could buy from PAC at a cheaper price along with a discount and valuable customer service. (Thats just me and I always look for deals )

SSR1 With a cutting pad seems too much, more of the pad working than the product

PP after SSR1 would just make the paint clearer for EX, but I think its best you do clay to PP to eliminate the contaminants.

EX with Finishing pad, by hand after if you would like. More coats you put on the safer it is for overlaps. Once you start, you probably can`t stop since its so easy :lol

Natty`s by hand for best results.

The PC is easy to use, just be careful and you will be fine

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with the majority of the above recommendations. With the products you mention, my preferred process would be -

Wash
    Clay
    Re-wash
    Dry
    PP with polishing pad to clean the surface
    SSR1 with polishing pad to remove swirls and create gloss
    EX with finishing pad
    second layer of EX by hand with damp PVA applicator 24 hours later
    Natty`s by hand with a damp yellow foam applicator about 1 week later

2002 Chevrolet Corvette
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Fleet
    :showpics

What color is your car?

Without knowing the condition of your paint, it`s hard to know what to recommend. But, I would think twice before using a cutting pad with SSR1. SSR1 is a mild polish. You probably don`t need to follow up with PP either. On my vehicles, SSR1 left a GREAT base for EX or EXP. I found that 2 layers of EX is worth doing also. But the second layer should be by hand if you choose to do it. I had a plan very similar to yours, but was happy with keeping it simple.

Wash
    Clay
    SSR1 W/Polishing Pad
    EX W/Finishing Pad
    Wait 24 Hours
    EX by hand

I`d think about stopping there. But if you want to top it, go ahead. The advantage of leaving it "open" is that you can always add another layer of EX later.

I`m looking into the stronger polishes myself now, so I can`t help you much there. But I`d try the SSR1 to see how it works.
    This is my car: 1991 Acura Legend Coupe-Persian Red Pearl

The paint is in very good condition, but what you can`t see in the pics are the light swirls all over.

Ok, I`ll go with what you guys are saying and use SSR1 with a polishing pad

Thanks guys.

it was my first time...
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think the best deal for getting a PC, is to go to Lowes.com, you can get that 10% discount and they are offering free shipping(up till June 23), not to sure if you can combine the two? Then just order the Pad Kit w/ backplate at CMA which is on sale for only $49.95. You will have a nice assortment of pads. You`d only be spending around $160(for the pc, and pad kit shipped).
    http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=pro...-000041735-7336
    http://www.properautocare.com/porcabackit.html
    Picking Poorboys is a good choice, btw you have a nice, clean car!

Post Thanks / Like
    Question:
    I contacted an employee that I know to see if they have the 7336 (wrote all the specs) They said they didn`t have it in stock and to order it would cost 149 +. I surfed around my area (NC) just to check and didn`t find the 7336 there. I just searched Jackal`s link to lowes and I didn`t find the 7336. I think Lowes officially dropped that product from their line-up. Does anyone have these same findings?

It would rock if I could purchase the 7336 with free shipping for only $100.

I am looking at the CT kit, but wavering on their backplate. I found some cheap 7.5 Advanced pads for only 6.25.

Anyone have any info? :dunno

Post Thanks / Like
    "I am looking at the CT kit, but wavering on their backplate. I found some cheap 7.5 Advanced pads for only 6.25"

Watch out, many times you`ll get what you pay for. My suggestion would be to get the new Edge DA 2000 pads.

On a side note, Lowes.com does not stock the 7336, and the store will hardly ever carry a 7424. You could easily get your Detail City discount, plus there is fee shipping and you don`t have to pay tax, so www.premiumautocare.com is REALLY the way to go! Not to mention, you supporting a FREE forum
    Nick Carberry
    ~Detailing high-end cars with quality products~

2002 Chevrolet Corvette
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by JaCkaL829 ....btw you have a nice, clean car! [/B]
    Thanks-I hope to make the paint "POP" a little more after I order the 7424.

Thanks for all the tips and suggestions guys!!!!!!!!

Keep it comin!!

I`ll probably order from somewhere on Sunday night, that way maybe they can ship it on Monday.

it was my first time...
    Post Thanks / Like
    I find it hard to believe that Lowes dropped the PC 7336. Woob...go to Lowes.com then on the left click power tools, then under sanders click palm grip sanders, the PC 7336 should be at the top of the list. I just checked it now and it worked, I think the link in my above post got messed up. If you can`t find it at Lowes, your next best(cheapest) bet is to go through Coastal tools. If you really don`t want the backplate, just get the pad kit w/ backplate from CMA, and sell or keep as an extra the 1 from Coastal tools. The Coastal tools PC bonus kit is still a lot cheaper then other places. $126.50 shipped within a couple of days if your on the east coast.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the info Jackal! I`ve decided to go scout out the 7336 at my local Lowes. I don`t think the free shipping (49 and over before June 23) works really well since a lowes rep has to schedule it all. I don`t mind the gas at all. Oh I found 10% off coupon that I can just mail in.

Maybe in a week I will have a 7336 with tax picked up for only $100 Excitement!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information