Mothers Wax Forum

Go Back   Wax Forum > Paint Care

Paint Care Ask questions, seek advice, and share techniques about exterior paint care.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools     Search this Thread     Display Modes  
Old 03-27-2005

Default Mothers PowerPolish and SynWax Review

I've always been very impressed with Mother's products and they remain one of my favorite brands. In fact, I've been more impressed with Mothers products than many of the overpriced boutique products that make some outlandish claims about what their waxes and polishes can do.

Lately, work has been pretty hectic, but after finally finding some time to do some detailing on my cars, I decided to try out the PowerPolish and the SynWax. The test car was my wife's Audi A4 Cabrio which was in pretty decent condition with some very light swirling. I started with a thorough washing, claying & de-tarring.

The first product I tried out was Mothers PowerPolish. The car is still relatively new and the swirls were very light so I started with a polishing pad. According to Forrest, this product is similar to DACP in terms of its abrasiveness as wel as its subsequent diminishing abrasives (which I found to be true).

Like all products made by Mothers, I found PowerPolish to be extremely user friendly. I worked the polish with my PC until the surface was nearly clear and the remaining residue wiped off with no effort at all. The product spread very easily as well and left very little dust.

MPP did a very good job with the few swirls the car had. I was also very impressed with the shine it brought. Of course, the car is only a year old, but I definitely noticed a distinct increase in the level of gloss after using PP.

For curiousity's sake, I also tried a few areas with a compounding pad to see if MPP would leave any haze, and it didn't leave anything at all. Just a perfect, swirl-free surface that was ready to be waxed.

All in all, I would definitely recommend this product to someone who is looking for an effective, versatile product that is extremely easy to use. MPP really does keep things simple as this one product will take care of most light to moderate swirling in one step.

The next product I tried was Mothers SynWax from their FX line. Not much I can really say about this product except that like Mother's other synthetic products, it's noticeably easier to use than any other product line I've tried (and I've tried a lot!). Plus, it doesn't stain trim and doesn't leave much dust. I was able to apply it to the whole car using my cordless polisher in a little more than 5 mins. The product seemed to dry very quickly and removal took about the same amount of time.

Not surprisingly, it was hard to notice much of an increase in shine because MPP did such a great job. Slickness was decent as well, which is something that was lacking in Mothers' older products. Although durability of SynWax remains to be seen, I would give this product a thumbs up primarily because of its user-friendliness.

Next up, Reflections TopCoat.
Old 03-27-2005

Default Re: Mothers PowerPolish and SynWax Review

Saw your post on Autopia and like I said there it looks great, don't think its possiable to get much more depth or shine.

I use Reflections Top Coat and really like it you will too.

Next step will be Reflections instant detailer to keep that shine up.

Isn't detailing fun when it works out like your wifes car did.

kbshadow
Stockton Ca
Old 03-28-2005

Great review! Great pics!

"The trouble with the world is that everyone's about three drinks behind" - Humphrey Bogart
Old 03-28-2005

The car looks great. I was just curious, why do you want to use the Reflections top coat on top of the FX wax? I was just wondering why didn't you use the Reflections wax if you were going to layer it with the topcoat? The car looks great as is. I love the shine of FX. Let us know how the top coat works out over the FX - ie: notice any difference.
Old 03-28-2005

Thanks for the kind remarks everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama
I was just curious, why do you want to use the Reflections top coat on top of the FX wax? I was just wondering why didn't you use the Reflections wax if you were going to layer it with the topcoat?
When I mention that I'll be using TopCoat next, what I mean is that I'll be using it on a completely different car... namely, my Honda Civic. I've already posted a review for TopCoat in a different thread.
Old 03-28-2005

Gotcha. Makes sense now. Anyway, the car looks fabulous. Good work. I really like the FX wax.