Mothers Wax Forum

Go Back   Wax Forum > Paint Care

Paint Care Ask questions, seek advice, and share techniques about exterior paint care.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools     Search this Thread     Display Modes  
Old 04-21-2005

Default New Black Car - Which Wax ??

Just purchased an '05 Liberty - Black on Black. Which wax should I use? What about synthetic types?

Also, I park under our tree in the front yard often - bird sh--t and tree stuff.

Thank you for your replies.

EDIT: I should add that i am not a car care fanatic - just want the best, longest lasting product for shine and protection - price is not an issue. Thank you

Last edited by 05 Black Liberty; 04-21-2005 at 11:34 AM.
Old 04-21-2005

Default Re: New Black Car - Which Wax ??

On black paint, it depends on what look that you like. The new synthetic lines by Mother's are very good products. However, many folks like a carnauba on black paint. Here is a brief run down on Mother's products from my experience:

Reflections: easy to use synthetic; gives a wet-look and depth similar to carnauba; good protection; wax can be layered with Topcoat for added protection.

FX: easy to use synthetic; one-step product; similar to Reflections in use and protection; has a high gloss shine that really pops.

Carnauba: not as easy to use or remove as synthetic; good protection; gives paint depth and warmth;

Protection is suppose to be better and longer lasting with synthetic waxes than carnauba, but the average person probably wouldn't be able to tell. In my experience, carnauba seems to protect better from bird droppings than synthetics. However, some people may disagree with me on that. The key is to remove bird crap and tree sap immediately before it can damage the paint. If it is on the paint too long, it will damage the finish no matter what type of wax you use. Keep some Showtime or Wipes around to remove those contaminents when found.

Personally, I like the FX Wax on black. I like the shine. The product is very easy to use. Of course, some people don't like the shine and prefer the deep, wet-look. If that is the case, I would probably go with the carnauba or Reflections line. To me, carnauba seems to protect better from bird crap better than the synthetics, but the FX wax, since it is a one-step product, is the easiest route to go in my opinion for great results. The FX is great if you follow it up with the FX Spray Wax after subsequent washes. Hope this helps.
Old 04-21-2005

I just got my wife an all black Mountaineer. I detailed it using Power Polish with a PC then finished with Reflections Wax and Top Coayt by hand Looked really nice. Deep clear wet look.
Old 04-21-2005
Mothers® Polish

As for the bird/tree problem, I'd consider investing in a custom fit car cover made of NOAH or Evolution material.
Old 04-21-2005

Well i am new to Mothers products. I just bought a new Black mustang GT. I live in San Diego so the weather is not that harsh. I bought a custom car cover because I park it outside. I also purchased a teflon fortified sealant for the paint. Not sure if that really works?

I was think of waxing my car this weekend, so i went out and bought the claybar with the 3 step wax process....
Is this a good idea or should I look into another way to care for my car?
Old 04-22-2005

I guess there's a couple of questions to be asked...

In what condition is the paint? Seems silly to ask, perhaps, but then again some dealers really know how to mess up a fresh factory paint job. Swirls? Spiderwebbing? Bumps from fallout or rail dust or other?

As for the teflon deal, you probably didn't really want it (the finance department loves selling them, though), but if you do want it, they probably gave you some recommended products to use to maintain it.

Please advise.
Old 04-22-2005
Mothers® Polish

If it were my black Liberty, I'd clay and use Reflections Car Wax, and possibly add the Top Coat.

It would be an extra step, but it would increase the durability and finish.

Last edited by Forrest T.; 04-22-2005 at 12:29 PM.
Old 04-22-2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim D.
I guess there's a couple of questions to be asked...

In what condition is the paint? Seems silly to ask, perhaps, but then again some dealers really know how to mess up a fresh factory paint job. Swirls? Spiderwebbing? Bumps from fallout or rail dust or other?

As for the teflon deal, you probably didn't really want it (the finance department loves selling them, though), but if you do want it, they probably gave you some recommended products to use to maintain it.

Please advise.
The condition of the paint is great. I guess i shouldn't of bought the teflon deal, but i just thought it would help keep the paint intact. No products were recomended to me, so that's why i started looking into the Mothers products. Do you think the Claybar and 3 step Wax process will hurt the paint or the teflon?
Thanks

Last edited by mustanggt05; 04-22-2005 at 11:56 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-22-2005
Mothers® Polish

In between the clay and the Pre-Wax Cleaner, you'll remove the teflon.

If you want to keep that finish, go back to the dealer and purchase additional product from them. You likely received paperwork about the teflon - read through it and you'll probably find where the vehicle needs to be touched up with their product on a regular (annual?) basis.
Old 04-22-2005

You should be ok. Forrest, may can add some insight. I don't know of any problems with the Teflon coating that relate to cleaning, sealing, and waxing.

The clay and then the 3 step Classic line should work very well on your black paint.
Old 04-22-2005

There you go. Forrest beat me to it.
Old 04-22-2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama
You should be ok. Forrest, may can add some insight. I don't know of any problems with the Teflon coating that relate to cleaning, sealing, and waxing.

The clay and then the 3 step Classic line should work very well on your black paint.
So with this remove or not remove...
Forest i you saying to to use this system?
Also why is Mothers ok for clear coat and not teflon sealing?
Old 04-22-2005

I'd defer to Forrest. He knows what he is talking about. I haven't had that much experience with these dealer add on coatings.

Mother's products are clear coat safe, but apparently, polishes/cleaners will remove the Teflon coating.

I guess it depends if you want to maintain the coating.

I would check with people who installed the coating regarding waxing and maintaining. Teflon is made by Dupont, I believe, so you may want to check with them.
Old 04-22-2005
Mothers® Polish

The teflon product you described is a dealer installed protective coating - using a polish will remove it.
Old 04-22-2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest T.
The teflon product you described is a dealer installed protective coating - using a polish will remove it.
Is there any types of Mothers products you would suggest? I am on the phone with the people who make the teflon sealent, so i should have an answer soon.
Old 04-22-2005
Mothers® Polish

Any brand of polish/paint cleaner you use will remove the teflon product they applied.

Please understand this teflon coating you paid for is nothing more than a wax type sealant with teflon as an ingredient. It doesn't last for years, nor does it protect the paint any more than any quality product would. If you carefully read through the paperwork they gave regarding the product applied to to the finish, you'll see how you must return the vehicle to them on a regular basis (and at extra cost) for more product to be applied.

You can do the same thing yourself, with higher quality products, for less money.

If it were me, and I wanted a great finish, I'd be using: clay, PowerPolish, Reflections Car Wax, and Reflections Top Coat. Then, I'd wash weekly and use the Reflections Spray Wax
Old 04-23-2005

Thank you for all your help.
I talked to the people that sell the deatailers the teflon crap and they said it would be alright to use non-abrassive waxs on there. They had suggested zymol wax and cleaner to name one. I am assuming that i would be able to use the Mothers step 2 and 3...
I don't know all this is giving me a BIG HEADAchE
OR

Sould I use clay, PowerPolish, Reflections Car Wax, and Reflections Top Coat like you suggested. Is this better for my new black Mustang and 98 Ranger?
Also do I need a machine or can it be done by hand?
If by hand what do you suggest to use for aplication and wiping off.. Right now I have terry towels and and a few dipers......
If you think PwrPolish,Reflections Car Wax and Reflections Top Coat is better then I will take bake the 3 step phase and go with your suggestion...

Last edited by mustanggt05; 04-23-2005 at 08:20 PM.
Old 04-23-2005
Mothers® Polish

If you don't own a buffer, don't buy the Powerpolish.

I'm confused by the teflon company's statement - use of a cleaner (be it Zymol's or anyone else's) will remove their product. If you did use the products tey recommended, there'd be no reason to use our Phases 2 & 3.

If you're going to do the work by hand, I'd go with wash, clay, Pre-Wax Cleaner and then EITHER Reflections Car Wax and Top Coat, or Phase 2 Sealer and Glaze and then Natural Formula Wax.

It depends if you want the traditional carnauba based wax or a synthetic.

I'd also suggest investing in some microfiber towels and diteching the terry cloth and diapers - your black paint will thank you.

Basically, pick a technology type (carnauba or synthetic) and that will be your guide.
Closed Thread