Mothers Wax Forum

Go Back   Wax Forum > News & Announcements

News & Announcements About Mothers®, events, shows & cool cars.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools     Search this Thread     Display Modes  
Old 10-29-2007

Default Mothers Training Night in Australia.

Gentlemen.
This might seem like I'm cashing in while SEMA is on, but the coincidence of the dates was unintentional.
I'd also like to thank my friend at Admin for giving me the okay to post during SEMA. When compared, our little training night is positively tiny.

It was held at the Runaway Bay AutObarn, and as I've often mentioned, they market THE largest range of Mothers products in the local area, and I have 10 car care outlets from 4 Companies within 20 miles of me here, and Runaway Bay is where I get all my Mothers 'stuff'.

The 'guy from Mothers' was Gary Waterson. He represents the Australian importer for Mothers.
A small fact here.
Gary is the Mothers guy for the two States, Queensland and the Northern Territory. This comprises an area of just over 3 million square kilometres. Doesn't mean much eh! Draw a line from top to bottom half way through the Continental US. One half is his area of coverage. Just Queensland alone is three times the size of Texas.

There were approximately 30 to 35 people in the audience, and there was some food and soft drinks prior to starting.
Gary set up a display in an area attached to the back of the 'shop'. He had a laptop hooked up to a projector and scrolled through the range of Mothers products, briefly summarising each one.
Along the way, there were giveaways, tee shirts, Small Mothers starter kits in cooler bags, Hotwheels models, etc, and something I haven't seen before, a kewl little pump pack bottle of Showtime around the same size as the small bottle of CCW in the clay bar pack. Great for the glove box.
His talk is something I'd sort of imagine to be like Forrest on stage at the Power Tour.
Gary fielded product questions from the floor.
A T shirt winning question was to name the suburb of LA where the Mothers HQ was. Huntington Beach.

After the talk, we adjourned to a small work area, where Gary and some of the guys from AutObarn were working on the paint of an old car I'll mention later.
Gary and the guys demonstrated some of the products and got members of the audience to have a go themselves, quite effectively imparting the extreme ease of use of the range of products in use.
Gary then gave a demonstration of the Wax Attack palm polisher, and it's ease of use.
He then went on and demonstrated a mini ball with some chrome polish on chromed wheels.
This part of the night went for about forty minutes or so.
After, people milled, did a bit more 'hands on' and they opened the shop to sell some mothers products, with a discount on the night.
Another forum member kreyfish was there with me, and I got in a plug or two for the forum if anyone had any product questions.
There was, however, one very minor glitch for the night, and that was on my part.
I had some operator error with my camera. I took around 16 photographs and used the Night setting instead of the Automatic setting. The night setting photographs were marginal at best but I lost nearly all of them. The Automatic setting ones did come out. As it was, all I could salvage was half a dozen, so I'll let those ones through.

All in all, a really great night.
Thanks to Paul the Autobarn guy, Trevor, also from AutObarn , who basically hosted the night, the guys from AutObarn who all stayed back to 'be there' and thanks to Gary for bringing it all to us.

Again, a pale image when SEMA is considered, but this is what we have here,

Tony.

"Old man look at my life, I'm a lot like you were."------Neil Young.
Old 10-29-2007

Default Re: Mothers Training Night in Australia.

Some photographs with notes.

Photograph 1.
Gary's car with the Mothers logo. I've include this for you car guys. Being Australia, it's a Holden Commodore, the model before the most recent one, the one coming to you there as the Pontiac G8, and variants.

Photograph 2.
The Mothers display.

Photograph 3.
That's Gary standing on the right with the slide on the screen the Reflections range.

Photograph 4.
This was a 1991 Camry, Red. Probably never polished or waxed. The horizontal panels were more oxidised than any I have ever seen before. The AutObarn guys worked on half the boot (trunk lid) prior to showing, and the result was startling to say the least. All they used was the Pre Wax Cleaner, about 4 times they said. They encouraged audience members to 'have a go' and some did, on half the roof. Because everyone wanted to touch the shiny part, Gary used this to perfectly demonstrate Showtime, and add an explanation that it just cleans the surface back to shiny, as opposed to the 2 Spray Wax products that actually act as a topper.
This photograph is of the bonnet (hood) and beautifully shows just how bad the oxidising was. The boot panel was the same as this.

Photograph 5.
Okay, this is one of the marginal photographs, and I've tried to make it look as good as I could, but it's still only average.
However, Gary demonstrated the Wax Attack Palm Polisher here on the half untouched. All he used was the Pre Wax Cleaner, and he just added a full circle to the foam, pad. We have the grey foam pads here and you guys have the red ones, The grey ones have a circular groove around the mid point of the pad, and Gary applied the product in a bead all the way around the groove.
He then rested the pad on the panel, and without turning on the polisher, he just moved it around on the half panel not previously worked on, allowing the pad to spread the product around before turning it on. He says that this method stops 'slinging' of the product. He then turned it on and worked the product in. This was a perfect demo of the ease of use with the one hand as he moved the product over the panel the edge, the badging up the pillar, working the product almost to vanishing point, and then wiping with a MF cloth. That alone was the killer shot for the night.
Three or so members of the audience used it themselves, and the awakening on their faces was enough to see as they started out with some downward pressure, before actually realising that it didn't need this at all.

Photograph 6.
Marginal photograph again, sorry.
One of the AutObarn guys rocked up with his superb black Mazda 3 with these lovely chrome wheels and Gary demonstrated the mini Power Ball with some Chrome Polish.
The thing I'd like you to look at here is a couple of things I was unaware of. First, this is a straight out hand drill working from 240 Volts from household power. Gary was careful to stress to operate it at low speed only, mentioning that this was a variable speed drill.
(I'm still hinting at a 18 or 22 Volt battery drill from one of my sons for Christmas)
The second thing I'd like you to look at is this.
See the hand on the shaft. Innocuous enough.
Gary explained the shaft is so that the drill can 'stand off' your precious chrome wheels, so that any minor accident, then the heavy drill head itself is further removed for any point of damage if any.
However, The hand on the shaft.
This shaft is spinning. So there are 2 components to the shaft. The central shaft spins inside the outer stationary shaft so you can hold this shaft for accurate placement, and Gary ably demonstrated the ability to work in the intricate areas of some wheels.

Tony.
Attached Images

Old 10-29-2007

Tony
Good post, good photos.

Also
A T shirt winning question was to name the suburb of LA where the Mothers HQ was. Huntington Beach.

I will be disapointed if you didn't win the t-shirt.

kbshadow
stockton ca.
Old 10-29-2007

kbshadow
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbshadow
What threw me were the two lead up questions.
1. Can anyone tell me who the big name guy is who recommends Mothers products? Easy. Chip Foose. (I was surprised here because answers came from about five guys.)
2. Can anyone tell me what suburb of LA Chip Foose has his HQ at? No response.
3. It's the same suburb of LA that Mothers has their HQ in Does anyone know that? Huntington Beach. About 4 responses.

What threw me was I thought Huntington Beach was a place all of its own accord and not just some suburb of LA.
See how I'm always learning 'stuff'.

Tony.

Old 10-30-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyfromOz View Post
Gentlemen.

Along the way, there were giveaways, tee shirts, Small Mothers starter kits in cooler bags, Hotwheels models, etc, and something I haven't seen before, a kewl little pump pack bottle of Showtime around the same size as the small bottle of CCW in the clay bar pack. Great for the glove box.
I got the kewl little bottles (4 oz / 100 ml) of Showtime and Protectant plus the Car Wash (I was using another brand). I think Mothers should have some promotion kit where you get the samplers.

Except for the power tour (is it hands on like yours?), I have not seen any local Mothers sessions similar to this or any car care product company for that matter.
Old 10-30-2007

Knowing just how easy all the Mothers products are to work with is nothing new to me.
What I really would have liked to have seen was a demo with the clay bar, but time being the way it is, they needed something instant to demonstrate, hence the Wax Attack. Prior to that though, Gary was tidying up, and shutting down the slide show, when the guys from AutObarn were enlisting people from the audience to use some of the products on the severely oxidised paint, I watched them and the overall opinion of each of the four I saw was that they had no idea that the products were just so easy to use for such instant results.
The clay bar is something that might have been effective, but also time consuming.
The three major demos from Gary, that of the Showtime, the Wax Attack Palm Polisher and the Mini power ball on the wheels were perfect in that they got instant effect in the shortest possible time.

However, that being said, just the idea of a 'hands on ' thing like this was pretty much a master stroke, and as much as Gary probably might not want to have heard it, there were rumblings that something like this might be worth visiting again at a later date.
The interest was not ambivalent in any respect but of people genuinely interested in something they didn't perceive as being in the bailiwick of them as enthusiasts willing to do their own work.

Oh! and Al, I don't think the Power Tour is hands on. My impression is that Forrest gives a talk from the stage, and going through the pictures from each of the Tours indicates that the Mothers presence is large, but might not actually have a 'workshop' element, and all this one here in Australia showed me was that a 70 minute run down of products with a slide show is great, but forty minutes bringing back marginal paint provided the extra kick to that slide presentation.

Tony.

Old 11-06-2007

Great Pics and write up, thanks for the pics!!

I wish we had an event here in London like this!!

I agree with the other reply about the samples, on my own observations the price of Mothers here (UK) is mid-market and some samples of the products (which are great and hard to fault ) in a little kit would probably be good!!

Geoff
Old 11-29-2007

hmm very nice.

I wonder if there'd be a Philippine edition... you know, like

"Mothers Training Day(s)/Night(s) in Philippines"

err...paging MomsPh?
Old 12-03-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by B2Bomber View Post
hmm very nice.

I wonder if there'd be a Philippine edition... you know, like

"Mothers Training Day(s)/Night(s) in Philippines"

err...paging MomsPh?
Working on something similar for next year.
Closed Thread