Mothers Wax Forum

Go Back   Wax Forum > Paint Care

Paint Care Ask questions, seek advice, and share techniques about exterior paint care.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools     Search this Thread     Display Modes  
Old 04-09-2004

Angry New member has scrathes on his bumper

My first post. I have a 2003 Mercury Marauder and it looks like some one scraped their foot on my painted bumper. I have some Mother's scratch remover and my son just got me a porter cable #7424 - 4" variable speed random orbit polisher with a white foam bonnet. I'm not afraid to try polishing the surface scratches out but would like an idea on how fast/slow I should work the area.
I'm really bummed out that some idiot would use a bumper to tie his shoes?
Old 04-09-2004
Chemist, Mothers® Polish

Default Re: New member has scrathes on his bumper

As long as the scratches are not too deep, you should be fine. In fact, since the area that is scratched is not too large, you may want to try by hand first. If that doesnt work go with the machine...with a random orbital I would't worry about doing any damage...dont forget to polish and wax after dealing with the scratches...here's hoping they are not too deep. It may take a bit of polishing...so be patient.
Old 04-09-2004
Mothers® Polish

A couple of ideas - if you do it by hand, use a foam applicator, and light pressure with lots of repetitions. Heavy pressure will cause arring of the finish.

With the PC7424, invest in a velco bacling plate and some good pads - I like the ones from Lake Coutry Mfg. Here's a link to their contoured edge pads:

http://www.lakecountrymfg.com/foampads_curv.html

You'll need the white (light polishing) or yellow (more aggressive than the white). If you choose to use the machine for waxing afterwards, you'll need the black pads.

These pads can be found from a variety of internet e-tailers - just do a search.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-09-2004

Thanks for the follow up information. i'll try the step approach, first by hand and then machine if required.
Thanks
chapel1
Old 04-10-2004

Talking Re: New member has scrathes on his bumper

First I started by hand and then I went to my buffer.I did short low speed buffing with the mother's surface scrach remover. I then checked my results and then did it again.After two light pressure trys the scratches are not visable unless you walk back and forth looking for them in the sunlight.I'm very happy with the results.I put some#3 Mother wax over my buffed area and the bumper looks perfect.
Thank's Forrest and Greg for your help.

Closed Thread