Post Thanks / Like

What do you detailers charge for your services?

I`m thinking of starting my own detailing business as a part-time gig. I`m having trouble setting my prices. I want to offer a full detail, a wash n` wax, and an interior only service.

Could the established detailing entrepreneurs please give me some examples of their services and prices?

Your input is much appreciated.

Obsessive Compulsive Detailer Jngrbrdman's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I charge by the hour. I don`t necessarily tell the customer that, but in the end that is what it boils down to. I work for about $40 per hour. So a basic wash and interior cleaning is going to cost $40 because it takes me about an hour to do it. To wax takes another half hour so the price is $60. If there is a need for clay and polishing then that bumps it up to $80 or $100. Generally a job averages about $75 for me. Some are $150 and others are $40. You just need to figure out what the market can bear in your area and then figure out how long it takes you to do the job. Then you can quote your prices based on an hourly rate. It makes estimating prices soooo much easier. You don`t have to tell them that you are working by the hour. Just tell them that a basic wash and interior job costs $XX and other services add $XX on to that price. You just need to know how long it takes to do the job and then you are set.
    ~ ~ www.OCDetails.com ~ ~
    Faster isn`t better. BETTER is better no matter how long it takes.

Glorified cleaning lady M23Accord's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    :yeah

I think one of the most important things in that explanation is the part about knowing what the market can bear. If I can help it, I wont go near a coupon cutter or someone who really doesnt want to afford a good detail. Most of my customers may not know too much about the products but they do know that it is a lot of work and can justify paying $150-$300 on a full detail (depending on the car of course).

Another thing, I wont charge someone $200 when they are willing to pay $300. I`ll always do the best I can on a car, but if I know I can bend them over more than the next person, I do it.

Post Thanks / Like
    bigron62
    Do you work for free???
    There is nothing there under "heres what I charge"
    Maybe it is just me!
    It`s what you learn after you know it all that counts ... John Wooden

Post Thanks / Like
    yea i do charity work.. im trying to add a picture of my pricelist but i cant get it to come up
    back in buisness baby

Post Thanks / Like
    I went from $50 starting out, to $75 earlier this year, and now I`m up to $125 which is what the other shops charge. I`m still charging $75 for customers I had when I charged $50 because I can`t just more than double the price on them in a year. It started out as a hobby and now is a part time business that I`m slowly working towards my full time job. Pretty much I`m going to slowly raise my price until I see a change in business. You also need to know your competition. All the detail shops around here are just aweful and are full of wool pad wielding buffer barbarians. If somebody says something about my price I ask them if ground beef and filet mignon cost the same, which would you buy? I would call around and see what other shops are charging and beat them by a little and giving a better job and build your reputation.
    Teflon is for frying pans.

Car Detailing Whore
    Post Thanks / Like
    I charge around $150 for a full outside detail. I base it on my time though, so it can vary per car and what that car needs.

Based on local competition, I am the most expensive, and the least experienced. However, no one doubts the work once they have seen it. Sure, the products I use may keep them 4-5 months until they want another detail, but the point is to give them a good looking car, not for me to profit off short term products.
    http://tassadar.ezekial.net

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with shotime. Go to your local "car wash", get a price list for their services and use that as a guide. Undercut them slightly but not too much. Remember that there`s only two types of customers - those that will pay somebody to wash their car and those that wont, regardless of what you charge.
    Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him and he will make your paths straight.
    Proverbs 3:5

R.M. Automotive Detailing f1guy68's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi All,

In a different context, I sub contract my self out to a car leasing & sales company! Works out great if I`m slow in my retail sales!

Since they give me about 12-15 cars a week, I charge more on a wholsesale price structure! Here are some prices I charge in CDN! (Plus I use their space, equipment & water & hydro, but my chemicals, towels & polishers)

Wash
    $10.00 Car
    $15.00 Van or Large SUV

Wash, Vacuum, Windows
    $20.00 Car
    $25.00 Van Or Large SUV

Wash, Full Interior, Wax
    $50.00 Car,
    $60.00 Van or Large SUV
    ($10.00 more for leather interior)

Wash, High Speed, Full Interior, Wax - $100.00 Car
    $120.00 Van Or Large SUV
    ($10.00 more for leather interior)

All prices include dressing on trim, tires, rubbers etc.

If I was charging retail, the latter would cost anywhere from $200.00 - $300.00 + depending on the "class" of vehicle!

Post Thanks / Like
    I price range between $250 and $450 Australian Dollars.

I believe that if we spend up to 8-10 hours on a car we deserve to be paid for it.

All the hours we spend on internet forums such as Detail City, Autopia, Show Car Garage etc, testing and trialing of products and combinations not to mention the cost of these boutiqe products allow us to attain a high level of finish.

I believe that most bodyshops, carwashes, bulk detailers and ever some high end detail shops do not go to the R&D and testing extent that most of the members here would.

Dont ever sell yourself short. If it was easy everybody would do it. Charge what you are worth. Give your customers more than they ask for and business will grow.

My 2c

Regards
    Tony

Post Thanks / Like
    When I started, I called around and got quotes from body shops for: GMC Suburban, 1500 extended cab, Ranger P/U, Caravan, Conversion Van, Ford Taurus, Corvette, Porshe, Jag, and BMW and a couple others. It took a couple of days but when I was done I called about 15 different shops within 100 miles of my location and had a pretty comprehensive price comparison, I found alot of the time that they would automatically jack the price up if you told them it was a higher end vehicle in good condition. I went with their averages and adjust according to vehicle condition, I do not discriminate brands so a full on midsize Chevy and midsize BMW are about the same. Full details range from 125.00 to 225.00 and that is before additions like engine cleaning and extensive polishing/paint correction etc... I have had a few people turn me down, but I haven`t had a referred customer turn away. My 2c`s

Eric

Post Thanks / Like
    MY BROCHURES
    Attached Images Attached Images
    back in buisness baby

Thread Information