Post Thanks / Like

10" orbital buffer question

Hey, theres gonna be one of those big tool sales around here next weekend.....in the little flyer, they have Ryobi 10" orbital waxer/polishers for 30 bucks....Since I`m not going to be doing any professional detailing, just want to keep my car and my parents cars looking good, and I dont have much money to spend, will this be OK?
    The price is right, my dad swears by Ryobi (Alll of his power tools are Ryobi, never had any problems with them), and unless theres something better for the money, this is what I am probably going to get. Any comments?

http://www.ryobitools.com/product/pr...t=1&toolcat=30

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like
    IMO, save your money.

While this post was concerning the possible purchase of a Porter Cable Random Orbital polisher, the comments I made about my experience with one of the cheaper 10" waxer/polishers pretty much covers my thoughts on them.

The following is some of a post I made quite some time ago.
    It still reflects my feelings, even after several months have passed.

Several years back, I purchased a Wen 10" orbital buffer. It had an amperage rating of over 3 amps, but I don`t remember the exact rating. The only reason I mention it is to point out it was not really lacking in power. I used it some for the first 2 - 3 months I owned it and after that it stayed in the box, unused, for several years. This summer, I tried it again. Back in the box and then given to a friend. It was more hassle than it was worth. Changing the bonnets was a PIA.

Since then I have purchased a PC 7336 and there is no comparison. With the velcro backing plate, changing pads is a 5 second job. The machine is much easier to work with and probably does a much better job. I can`t say for sure since the WEN never really got much use.

Now for something to start a discussion. IMO, Unless you have swirl removal to do, the PC isn`t really necessary to do a good job of taking care of your car.
    Easier? Yes.
    Better? Probably a little better distribution of product.
    Faster? Maybe, but remember, you also have to consider the time you spend getting it out, putting it away, and hand washing the foam pads as part of the overall time spent.

My vehicles are in pretty good shape to start with and the products I use, Klasse AIO, 4 Star UPP, S100 Cleaner, and S100 wax, are all so easy to apply and remove that the benefit is not all that great to me. So far, it seems that about 1/2 the time, I don`t even bother with the PC.

If you can afford one, by all means get one. If it stretches your budget, use the money to buy something you really need.

Charles

Thread Information