Post Thanks / Like

Any suggestions- on which wax/sealent

I will be taking a look at a 1990 BMW midnight blue with minor sun damage to a small amount of paint in certain areas......Car was babied by the owner however it was always parked outside in Los Angeles. I would think, if minor damage, the Meguiar`s Clearcoat Body Scrub would be good to use.....?

No pics yet, however my question.... What do you think would look better on this car....The AIO/S100 combo.....The UPPC/UPC,
    the Wolfgang Pre-cleaner/Sealent? - Obviously, this car will require a full detail with claying,etc.....I am more curious if the BMW`s react better to one "Combo" over another......

I want to say the 1990 BMW`s have clearcoat....?
    I have heard there are specific Giant GREEN Polishing Pad for German car paints....any opinions on these? Similar but different? or they are essential to work on German cars?
    crobarcars@yahoo.com

Post Thanks / Like
    If you`re dealing with sun damage, then a good chemical paint cleaner is a must for removing oxidation. I`ve never tried Body Scrub, so I can`t vouch for its capabilities. However, AIO or MPPC would be examples of good remedies for oxidation. The paint may also be dried out, and could benefit from an oil rich glaze.

The choices for top coats would depend upon durability and appearance goals. If the cars is going to once again be parked outside in LA sun, then it would be wise to use a fairly durable sealant as its main protectant. Use an appropriate base layer to complement the sealant of your choice. Add a layer of carnauba if desired. For dark blue colors, I`d try something like VM/EX/S100.

I`ve never tried the Green Giant pad; but for a car of that age and condition, I`d be surprise if it would provide any great advantage over any other high quality polishing pad.

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like
    Since it sounds like you already have the products you mentioned, why not give the AIO a try. It seems like that stuff impresses me more everytime I use it. Used with a PC and a polishing pad, I would think it would do a great job. Do one of the areas that seems to be worst and you will know what to expect for the rest of the car.
    After the AIO, my sealant choice would be UPP, but any of several would probably do a good job.
    The AIO/S100 combination that I use regularly and like a lot, but I don`t think S100 would be the longest lasting product for the conditions the car is subjected to. As awd330 said, a sealant would probably be a good choice.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    FYI I don`t think 1990 BMW is clear coat - I THINK it`s single stage not 100% sure but I think so..
    You have activated my special ability....

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you so much for the information. I was leaning in the direction you all subscribe. I think I will use the AIO/UPP/ and slap an S100 for good measure!

groebuck....I think I will contact BMW corp. (Looks like I get to talk to Mr. Ed...you know the Horse`s Mouth!) and find out for sure if the 1990 is single stage or clearcoat..... thanks for the head`s up on the possible eroneous info.. I will be sure to advise.....
    crobarcars@yahoo.com

Post Thanks / Like
    it should be an easy test if you try a little aio in and you get some of the color off on the applicator
    You have activated my special ability....

Post Thanks / Like
    That BMW has a clear coat / or something like that. I know that for sure. I`ve not seen anyone say anything about clay with lube?

I have used the Megs body scrub and its a great product. I would

After wash
    clay
    Megs body scrub
    PB P-w-C
    Sealant
    Top with a good paste or liquid wax!
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like
    Beemerboy - Thank you for the suggestion....Looks like a plan! If the color is very faded. after the Meg`s body scrub. I was thinking of :
    AIO
    Sealent
    3M IHG
    Carnuba - to assist in keeping the IHG on for about 3-4 weeks.....DO you think that would make a big difference?
    crobarcars@yahoo.com

Thread Information